• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mechanical Pencils

zorglubb

Reaction score
I've used this type of Parker mechanical pencil for the last 5 years of school, still like new
wink.gif

!BVyw)NgB2k~$(KGrHgoH-DUEjlLlzqhLBKUUSf4Ddw~~_1_1498_1.JPG

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleksandr
I always knew reading styleforum was dangerous for my wallet, but this is ridiculous. I just placed two orders for mechanical pencils that before today I'd never heard of or seen before but I now desparately. want.

Which ones are you lusting after.....?
devil.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's the real question.... .7 or .5mm?

I say .7.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just stick with the Zebra M-301 myself.

Oh, and I vote for .5mm lead. I mainly use pencils for making notes in books these days, since I'm at the point in my education where stardardized tests are pretty rare, and the thinner lead allows me to write smaller while keeping it legible (or as legible as possible with my handwriting).

I did use one of the standard cheap bics throughout high school, and it worked pretty well for me. Broke after a few years, so I went to the papermate GForce, but those seem to have been discontinued (and I had some issues with the clip), so I went to the M-301 which has worked well for me since.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like those Rotrings. They remind me of the "lead holders" architects use in drafting. I may have to pick one of those up.

Also I was really pissed the Sharpie liquid graphite pencils were all hype. They could have been so awesome. Instead they are just a normal pencil with a loose eraser.
confused.gif

Originally Posted by Cleav
I use a Cross Century Classic

This is what I use as well, but in 18k rolled gold.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
how is it possible you never lost your pencil in 20 years! amazing.

laugh.gif
I don't know. I've managed to lose lots of other things! I must really like it.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
Which ones are you lusting after.....?
devil.gif

I got a Rotring 600 and a Uniball Kuru Toga High Grade. Orders placed, no shipping notices as yet though...

Kark

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
I really like those Rotrings. They remind me of the "lead holders" architects use in drafting. I may have to pick one of those up.

Those Rotring pencils were never meant as, nor used as a drafting tool. Most of the rest of the Rotring instruments were for production drafting use but the pencils shown so far in the thread (and their pen counterparts) are for everyday writing use. Beautifully made, yes. But not at all suitable for drafting purposes.
..unless the draftsman was a hack and didn't know how to use a lead holder. As a dusty old draftsman, I'm unabashedly biased but I still believe the lead holders (harder and harder to find quality ones) represent the apogee of pencils. A run of mill HB lead offers general purpose versatility while a 2b or 4b makes it a sketching tool and on the other end a 6H makes it a friggen weapon.

This one's been on deck for about 20yrs now, and has thousands of hours of 'board' time but now is sadly mostly in sketching and grocery list trim.
pencil3.JPG

pencil2.JPG

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
The frustrating part about lead holders is finding a good sharpener. You could buy ten of the same rotary model, and maybe three will work well while the rest are ****.

Kark

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
The frustrating part about lead holders is finding a good sharpener. You could buy ten of the same rotary model, and maybe three will work well while the rest are ****.

Never had that problem myself. I've used the Rotring and Staedtler ones (still have the Staedtler) and they were always solid.

It wouldn't surprise me if the standards have fallen with the pointers tho as the last several times I've looked for lead holders they were cheap feeling plastic barreled units. bummer to hear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads