Mechanical Pencils

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by lemmywinks, Mar 10, 2010.

1. zorglubb

zorglubb Senior member

I've used this type of Parker mechanical pencil for the last 5 years of school, still like new[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I've used this type of Parker mechanical pencil for the last 5 years of school, still like new[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's beautiful [​IMG]

3. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I always knew reading styleforum was dangerous for my wallet, but this is ridiculous. I just placed two orders for mechanical pencils that before today I'd never heard of or seen before but I now desparately. want.

Which ones are you lusting after.....?[​IMG]

4. javyn

javyn Senior member

Here's the real question.... .7 or .5mm?

I say .7.

5. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I go with .4, but they're sometimes difficult to find.

6. BP348

BP348 Senior member

I don't use a pencil often but I like the .7

7. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I just stick with the Zebra M-301 myself.

Oh, and I vote for .5mm lead. I mainly use pencils for making notes in books these days, since I'm at the point in my education where stardardized tests are pretty rare, and the thinner lead allows me to write smaller while keeping it legible (or as legible as possible with my handwriting).

I did use one of the standard cheap bics throughout high school, and it worked pretty well for me. Broke after a few years, so I went to the papermate GForce, but those seem to have been discontinued (and I had some issues with the clip), so I went to the M-301 which has worked well for me since.

8. onion

onion Senior member

I really like those Rotrings. They remind me of the "lead holders" architects use in drafting. I may have to pick one of those up.

Also I was really pissed the Sharpie liquid graphite pencils were all hype. They could have been so awesome. Instead they are just a normal pencil with a loose eraser. [​IMG]

I use a Cross Century Classic

This is what I use as well, but in 18k rolled gold.

9. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

how is it possible you never lost your pencil in 20 years! amazing.

[​IMG] I don't know. I've managed to lose lots of other things! I must really like it.

10. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

Which ones are you lusting after.....?[​IMG]

I got a Rotring 600 and a Uniball Kuru Toga High Grade. Orders placed, no shipping notices as yet though...

11. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I think you'll be very happy with the Rotring 600-it's a very solid writing utensil.

12. Kark

Kark Active Member

I really like those Rotrings. They remind me of the "lead holders" architects use in drafting. I may have to pick one of those up.

Those Rotring pencils were never meant as, nor used as a drafting tool. Most of the rest of the Rotring instruments were for production drafting use but the pencils shown so far in the thread (and their pen counterparts) are for everyday writing use. Beautifully made, yes. But not at all suitable for drafting purposes.
    ..unless the draftsman was a hack and didn't know how to use a lead holder. As a dusty old draftsman, I'm unabashedly biased but I still believe the lead holders (harder and harder to find quality ones) represent the apogee of pencils. A run of mill HB lead offers general purpose versatility while a 2b or 4b makes it a sketching tool and on the other end a 6H makes it a friggen weapon.

This one's been on deck for about 20yrs now, and has thousands of hours of 'board' time but now is sadly mostly in sketching and grocery list trim.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

The frustrating part about lead holders is finding a good sharpener. You could buy ten of the same rotary model, and maybe three will work well while the rest are shit.

14. Kark

Kark Active Member

The frustrating part about lead holders is finding a good sharpener. You could buy ten of the same rotary model, and maybe three will work well while the rest are shit.

Never had that problem myself. I've used the Rotring and Staedtler ones (still have the Staedtler) and they were always solid.

It wouldn't surprise me if the standards have fallen with the pointers tho as the last several times I've looked for lead holders they were cheap feeling plastic barreled units. bummer to hear.

15. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I used these plastic Staedtler ones and they were junk.

[​IMG]