• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inexpensive but Quality Shirts for my Odd Dimensions?

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking to invest in 2-3 dress shirts, ideally under $50 each, that actually fit me. This will be a first, as I'm tall, skinny, but broad shouldered. I need shirts that compliment my frame, but don't accentuate my skinnyness or long neck, while making me look like I know how to dress myself (again, this will be a first).

I've attached a few pics, all of them within the last year except for the mini-golf one, which is 4 years ago, but still same measurements as today.

Also, I just had my wife measure me according to this video:

http://blog.taylorstitch.com/2010/02...-custom-shirt/

The results were:

Height - 6' 5"
Weight - 180lbs
Chest - 38.5"
Neck - 15.25"
Stomach - 33.5"
Hindquarters - 40"
Bicep - 14"
Both Wrists - 7.25"
Yoke - 18.5"
Right Arm - 35.75"
Left Arm - 35.75"

If that helps.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

-Evan

PS) I'm also willing to take my time and find great deals on higher retail priced shirts via ebay or B&S, though they are more uncommon due to my measurements.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MensFashionJournal
But if you'r wearing draped garments this will usually end up to be the focal point, since in the end it will look as if you are hiding something, and also make you look even slimmer.

What+Are+You+Wearing+Today

- B

ghdtpdna

Reaction score
You are not broad shouldered.
Actually, you are pretty narrow for your height.
Only problem I see is that you are pretty tall. But other than that you are not atypically skinny or anything.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahheck01
Hey guys, I'm looking to invest in 2-3 dress shirts, ideally under $50 each, that actually fit me.

Three words:

Made. To. Measure.

Check out Modern Tailor or TailorStore for MTM for under $50 (depending on fabric, some cost more).

hatguy

Reaction score
Agree with MTM.
That's the best way to ensure fit if your dimensions are less than standard.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Whats wrong with your current shirts. They seem to fit well enough.

The shirts in the 1st and 4th picture have rolled up sleeves since they're too short. The wedding picture was rented clothing, and the basketball picture is a large t-shirt I use for sports and working out. I'm looking for dress shirts that will fit me, or can be tailored.

MTM seems to have a trial and error period that can rack up cost pretty quickly, and end up far overshooting my goal of around $50/shirt.

If I'm buying OTR, what measurements have to be right in order for a tailor to be able to make it fit right? What measurements may be off OTR, but can be fixed?

Thanks,

-Evan

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTM seems to have a trial and error period that can rack up cost pretty quickly, and end up far overshooting my goal of around $50/shirt.

This depends, the first few attempts may not be perfect but they'll usually be wearable, and probably still a better fit than any OTR. I must admit I have had one attempt that was completely unwearable though, so it is a bit of a gamble. Personally I think it's worth it.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$20 plus $10 shipping.

My first MTM experience (through tailorstore) was pretty rough. When they ask you to choose between measuring your body and measuring an existing garment, go with the latter. Find your garments that fit the best and take applicable measurements -- one shirt for torso, one for arms, one for collar, if that's what it takes.

I did that for my second order and it came out flawless. Now I have a solid set of shirt measurements so whenever I try a new online MTM place I just enter those and hope for a good duplicate. More often than not, I get one.

Give it a shot. Get the black one, and if it's a trainwreck you can roll up the sleeves and use it for clubbing. Sanguis Mortuum has a very valid point about it being likely better than anything else you'll find for thirty bucks.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As long as you can understand how the measurements work, are good at following directions, and have a shirt that fits good to go off of, you should get a damn good fit the first time.

But even if you can't do that, as long as you err on the side of large, the shirt can always be altered to fit. Except the yoke, can't fix that. You have to get that one right.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Also, I just had my wife measure me according to this video:

http://blog.taylorstitch.com/2010/02...-custom-shirt/

The results were:

Height - 6' 5"
Weight - 180lbs
Chest - 38.5"
Neck - 15.25"
Stomach - 33.5"
Hindquarters - 40"
Bicep - 14"
Both Wrists - 7.25"
Yoke - 18.5"
Right Arm - 35.75"
Left Arm - 35.75"

If that helps.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

-Evan

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but based on these measurements, what coat size should I look for? I tried on a 42XL that was way too wide in the middle, but seemed to be pretty good in the shoulders. Thinking of what size I should get for a peacoat, overcoat, and blazer based on the above?

-Evan

Ahheck01

Reaction score

Would it not be a 40XL? Would a 40XL even be long enough?

I know for blazers or suit coats the length should be approximately 1/2 of my height (77/2= 38.5" long), what about Peacoats or Overcoats?

Thanks!

-Evan

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would it not be a 40XL? Would a 40XL even be long enough? I know for blazers or suit coats the length should be approximately 1/2 of my height (77/2= 38.5" long), what about Peacoats or Overcoats? Thanks! -Evan
Whichever one covers your ass. I mean that literally. And 40 is based off of the 18.5 yoke measurement; so if thats off, the jacket's shoulders will not fit.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Whichever one covers your ass. I mean that literally. And 40 is based off of the 18.5 yoke measurement; so if thats off, the jacket's shoulders will not fit.

So it's yoke * 2 + 3 = jacket size?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads