• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any other Edmontonians here?

springer23

Reaction score
Just checking in as a fellow Edmontonian. I'd be up for a local SF meet/greet also and you can't go wrong with drinks at the Sugarbowl or Redstar. Just to add to the local recommendations for a tailor I second the mention of Paris Tailors downtown. Forrest used to be a go to guy there but he'll be retiring soon. You can talk to him on Tuesdays and Saturdays at the shop but the girl doing most of the work is Cathy. I was hesitant at first but her work on my blazers and pants has been top notch quality as of late. MK I'm curious on your opinion of their work as well!

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Radagast
Edmonton here. Weather has left me a bit glum today, summer is obviously on it's way out. Every winter I plan to leave here, never do. My impression of SF Edmonton is that I've probably seen many of you at Suede before. Might be wrong, just my suspicion.
I've only been there once. I'll have to give it another go, but to be honest, to me it was almost uncomfortable just in terms of the clientele - let's just say, from the perspective of the classic SF "style vs. fashion" dichotomy, Suede seemed to lean to the latter in every way. As for the uptown/Oliver area, I much prefer a night at Famoso. That said, I think I'll go back to Suede this week now that (in particular, my area of) this city is breathing once again. While on the topic, anybody given the new downtown Overtime (old Ivory) a shot yet? How about the place to open in the old Prohibition? Thoughts? Ms Notreknip and I were quite disappointed with 4th and Vine the other night, and my expectations weren't even particularly high. It's a shame I'm so busy on campus (e.g. my lunch hours are only perhaps 15 minutes long on average), I'd much rather eat with random internet friends/strangers than resort to grabbing "Hub"way every day and chowing down alone. PS - Found myself a steal today at Haven. They have the usual 50% off rack with some gems, not as much good sale stuff as Tailored Goods, but far more than I found this past weekend at Henry. Oh, and Holt is only getting worse in this city, while Calgary's is on it's way up. Is it worth going way over to Harry for any end-of-season bargains? High Grade?

springer23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
I've only been there once. I'll have to give it another go, but to be honest, to me it was almost uncomfortable just in terms of the clientele - let's just say, from the perspective of the classic SF "style vs. fashion" dichotomy, Suede seemed to lean to the latter in every way. As for the uptown/Oliver area, I much prefer a night at Famoso.

While on the topic, anybody given the new downtown Overtime (old Ivory) a shot yet? How about the place to open in the old Prohibition? Thoughts? Ms Notreknip and I were quite disappointed with 4th and Vine the other night, and my expectations weren't even particularly high.

Suede clientele do leave you with a bit of an uncomfortable feeling but positioning yourself at the bar with friends so you can turn your back to all the douche's can be tolerable.

Haven't been to the new downtown Overtime yet but I've been meaning to burn through some gift certificates I snagged from my boxing gym. The old Prohibition spot hasn't reopened yet as The Black Sheep Pub but that "opening soon" sign has been there for a couple of months i believe. Hope they bring back the bocce ball lanes
laugh.gif

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with 4th and vine, what happened?! I do have to say that since management changed last year or so the place has slightly deteriorated, Tony used to be a great manager! It's a pretty laid back place and definitely an older crowd frequents it, I recommend you and Ms Notreknip check it out for Sunday night movie nights, the popcorn they make is kickass.

A better wine bar to check out is Bibo on 99th st next to Culina, good charcuterie. Downtown wine bar I'd recommend is Lit on 104th or Moriarty's on Rice Howard Way.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool.

Bibo is definitely on out list. We quite enjoyed Culina on our first visit and if we hadn't already had a bottle, we would've stopped by next door.

4th and Vine's experience wasn't necessarily bad (not bad enough to dwell on), but since you asked, here are a few of the things that got me:

- big, loud stagette in the back table, doing the typical hick-town-Canada stagette things
- unconventionally big, wide, marked-up-from-the-dishwasher, wine glasses
- our waitress would often sit down (for a few minutes at a time) with the couple at the table next to us
- the wine we chose was poor (IMO), but not "bad" in the sense that we could send it back (besides, no tasting was offered - I'm not sure what the proper term is for that, but you know what I mean)
- both of us enjoyed our appetizers; Ms Notreknip didn't particularly like her fish, but she loved the side; my main dish was okay, but overpriced perhaps
- overall, I just found it a bit casual for a wine/tapas bar

I'm sure we'll be back there eventually to give it another go.

What's up with this vodka bar down the street from 100? (i.e. on Jasper) Is it new? Did I just miss it before? (Edit: I just noticed it this was brought up just above.)

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Famoso is one of my favourite places to grab pizza. The new one they opened up on St. Albert Trail and 137th is still going through the teething process, they haven't figured out a system quite yet.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
Worst service ever at the Famoso in South Common, fyi. I hate Edmonton.

I recall reading you were up and leaving for...Toronto was it? Is that for real?

You're still in your studies? No?

springer23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
Worst service ever at the Famoso in South Common, fyi. I hate Edmonton.

Service at any bar/restaurant in Edmonton has generally gone down the ******* for years now esp. since the local boom.

Honestly, the most consistent service I've had has been at Dadeo's, they're always fast and friendly, they don't forget **** and usually seem pretty happy to be there. Same can't be said for even higher end places like Hardware Grill where service is inconsistent even at lunch time when it's not really busy.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool.

- the wine we chose was poor (IMO), but not "bad" in the sense that we could send it back (besides, no tasting was offered - I'm not sure what the proper term is for that, but you know what I mean)

I do not think this is meant to be a tasting but to see if the wine is corked.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Yeah. You shouldn't even need to taste it. A sniff should do.
Wtf, Kyle, why are you in our threak!?...This is Edmonton, not Chicago. We don't "sniff" wine to find out how good it is, we ******* drink it.
I recall reading you were up and leaving for...Toronto was it? Is that for real? You're still in your studies? No?
Yea I'm actually moving there this Thursday (the 2nd).
uhoh.gif
I graduated almost a year ago, so this move is a little overdue.

imschatz

Reaction score
Well .. I'm officially an Edmontonian (feel kinda dirty saying that). Moved into my super awesome bachelor suite just off Whyte Ave. on Sunday. Already seen a few crackheads, and have bum's tearing through my trash daily. It's pretty epic.

PS: Spent a day at West Ed .. forget the name of the store, but it's way off in a corner (seemed to be the only place selling anything worthwhile) .. but they were selling Naked & Famous Green Selvedge jeans for $58+tax.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics