• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Audi A7

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
I've never seen as many A8s as in Germany. They were everywhere. --Andre
I saw over a dozen of the new A8s when I was there in June, and dozens more of the other Audi models. I couldn't help but notice seeing more Audi cars compared to MB or BMW, and I visited six cities.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Do Europeans like to be driven in those kinds of cars, the A8, 7er, S, LS, Phaeton, etc? It's standard in Asia, but to the point of being ridiculous in North America to even think of such a thing. Despite the huge new pricetags on cars+usage here, I could have a lightly used current or at least recent version of any of those for about 50-60K, and pay about $20K a year for a driver, gas, and getting him to park around the corner and wait for me instead of paying for parking, which is $5-25/hr here. The way those cars are made nowadays, it seems like they're meant to ride in, and never have to touch the steering wheel of them.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I saw over a dozen of the new A8s when I was there in June, and dozens more of the other Audi models. I couldn't help but notice seeing more Audi cars compared to MB or BMW, and I visited six cities.

This does seem to be true; we have friends who live in Augsburg, where there is an Audi factory and we visited them last year. At the time my dad had an A8L (A company car for pan-Europe trips) and he happened to mention to our friend that he was thinking of an E Class and the guy replied "Oh, when you have a Mercedes Benz ... *Thumbs up*"

It didn't seem to matter than the Merc was half the price, there appears to be a reverence for the brand, and you don't buy one until you believe you are respected enough to pull it off. Audi on the other hand seems to be a true Volkswagen, at least for the middle classes.

Andrewc2232

Reaction score
My first thought too was that Audi was doing their take on the CLS. Which isn't a bad thing; I love the styling of the CLS. However, I feel like Audi didn't really commit to the idea of a "4 door coupe" the way MB did. I'll have to see one in person, but the pictures don't immediately grab me the way the MB press photos for the CLS did.

Interior looks great to me. I'll look forward to seeing them on the road. I saw my first S5 the other day on the highway and I was blown away--spectacular.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andrewc2232
My first thought too was that Audi was doing their take on the CLS. Which isn't a bad thing; I love the styling of the CLS. However, I feel like Audi didn't really commit to the idea of a "4 door coupe" the way MB did. I'll have to see one in person, but the pictures don't immediately grab me the way the MB press photos for the CLS did.

Interior looks great to me. I'll look forward to seeing them on the road. I saw my first S5 the other day on the highway and I was blown away--spectacular.

+1 looks much like Audi's take on the CLS inside and out. I'm not a fan of the CLS, so I don' think this Audi will grow on me.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
+1 looks much like Audi's take on the CLS inside and out. I'm not a fan of the CLS, so I don' think this Audi will grow on me.
Pics of the 2012 CLS are now up on the MB website, it looks great. I'm not a fan of the current one, but what I see in the pics of the 2012 CLS looks good.

computerpro3

Reaction score
Referencing the size, my father has an A8L and a Q5. Both of them are incredibly agile for what they are. As long as you've got sticky rubber, drop the A8 into "dynamic" mode, which lowers the car several inches and use the paddle shifters, and you've got yourself something that can embarrass many lesser "sports cars" in the twisties. It's no RS4, but it's damn quick for what it is. The chassis rigidity is phenomenal. Likewise, the Q5 is an absolute hoot to drive. It's incredibly fun leaving hipsters in Civic SI's in the dust. It corners ridiculously flat for an SUV and the transmission is a joy to shift in manual mode. Audi has really screwed up with the new A8 though. Where as the previous generation A8L was at the top in performance, the new one is abysmal. The power numbers are a joke. Instead of getting the new A8L, which was his original plan, my father is simply keeping his current one as a daily driver and getting a dedicated sports luxury car instead.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by computerpro3
Audi has really screwed up with the new A8 though. Where as the previous generation A8L was at the top in performance, the new one is abysmal. The power numbers are a joke. Instead of getting the new A8L, which was his original plan, my father is simply keeping his current one as a daily driver and getting a dedicated sports luxury car instead.
There is a good review of the A8L W12 in this week's issue of Autoweek. Quite frankly, I was disappointed to read that it has only 461 lb ft of torque and 500 hp for a W12. I expected the torque to be much greater than the 500 hp, especially for a 12 cyclinder. I'm not impressed.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, it's an Audi. They're all overpriced and underpowered, unless you get something with an RS badge, then they're just overpriced.

They also have to keep the Audi a little reigned in as well, since the Flying Spur isn't gonna get much of a real update and they'll probably run that for twice as long as the A8.

computerpro3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Well, it's an Audi. They're all overpriced and underpowered, unless you get something with an RS badge, then they're just overpriced.

Yeah, like the S4, which won every single performance metric against the 335 and C class
facepalm.gif

The previous generation A8 was cheaper than the 7 series and S class, and faster. Same with the previous generation S4 (V8 one), which was marginally slower than the M3 but significantly cheaper.

The current A5 and A8 are really the only underpowered ones (and this new A7 thingy).

They also have to keep the Audi a little reigned in as well, since the Flying Spur isn't gonna get much of a real update and they'll probably run that for twice as long as the A8.
True, but it's also pretty dumb because they are going to have people like my father move out of the marquee altogether for the Italian brands.

coop86

Reaction score
The front and interior are very nice but the back is terrible. Does anyone know if Audi discontinued the S8? That car was a great mix of size and sport.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coop86
Does anyone know if Audi discontinued the S8? That car was a great mix of size and sport.
The S8 and W12 were discontinued for 2010 but both will return with the new generation A8 in 2011.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads