• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailors in Atlanta

iLLmAtiCiAn

Reaction score
I live in the Atlanta area and I wanted to know if anyone had any inputs on tailors that will do good work for a reasonable price? Specifically, I need suit sleeves with working buttonholes shortened but I am looking for a large amount of other work as well.

Dewi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iLLmAtiCiAn
I live in the Atlanta area and I wanted to know if anyone had any inputs on tailors that will do good work for a reasonable price? Specifically, I need suit sleeves with working buttonholes shortened but I am looking for a large amount of other work as well.

Mario Bosco is apparently very good, but also rather expensive. I've never used him myself, I happen to be decently adept at making the minor alterations my own clothing, with a little help on the staging.

If you find a good one, who isn't terribly expensive, please PM me and let me know. I'm in a similar situation as you, and really don't want to try to tackle it myself. Which part of Atlanta are you in?

iLLmAtiCiAn

Reaction score
I go to school at Emory so near Decatur. During breaks for now, I live in Suwanee north of Atlanta, but I would be more than willing to travel anywhere in the Atlanta area for a good tailor.

Dewi

Reaction score
I go to school at Emory so near Decatur. During breaks for now, I live in Suwanee north of Atlanta, but I would be more than willing to travel anywhere in the Atlanta area for a good tailor.

Not too far from me then. I'm over in Brookhaven. I've been told that there are a few decent tailors in Decatur, but I couldn't tell you who or where they are. I don't have any personal knowledge of any good alterations places, I get my suits made to measure now from a tailor in Buckhead. I don't think they do alterations though.

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used Mario for years. He does very good work. His prices are competitive with others in town. Note, however, that when you pick up your clothes, they will smell like smoke. Nothing that won't air out in a few hours, but not very pleasant.

I've been having my alterations done at Sid Mashburn for the past year or so. It's more convenient to where I work, and I get what I think is better advice about how things should fit. The quality of the work is probably on par with Mario, but I'm not sufficiently expert to say for sure. Prices are comparable.

Dewi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 518aata
I used Mario for years. He does very good work. His prices are competitive with others in town. Note, however, that when you pick up your clothes, they will smell like smoke. Nothing that won't air out in a few hours, but not very pleasant.

I've been having my alterations done at Sid Mashburn for the past year or so. It's more convenient to where I work, and I get what I think is better advice about how things should fit. The quality of the work is probably on par with Mario, but I'm not sufficiently expert to say for sure. Prices are comparable.

Thanks for the heads up on Sid Mashburn. I keep forgetting about them when I'm on that side of town. (I'm a Tech grad, so I'm over there for nostalgia every so often)

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been to Bangkok Tailor & Alterations

They have really good reviews online

They are not bad, I've used them for some time and have been quite happy with them. Neil is a nice guy and will take care of any issues.
Mario is another good option, I use Mario on a regular basis. I have yet to use Sid though,I have bunch of things that need to be done so maybe I'll check out his store once the weather cools down a bit.

rkusmant

Reaction score

What's the common rate for shirt or jeans alteration at Mario's / Sid's? I'm talking about simple tapering and shortening.

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rkusmant
What's the common rate for shirt or jeans alteration at Mario's / Sid's? I'm talking about simple tapering and shortening.
I haven't been to Mario in a while, but if I remember correctly, he was about $15 for hemming pants and $25 to shorten shirt sleeves. Sid's tailor is about the same for the pants, but a little less for shirts -- $20 to shorten shirt sleeves or to taper a shirt. Sid's tailor charges much less for working button holes, but they're done by machine. Mario tailored my Isaia tux, but, for the buttonholes, sent it to a woman who did them by hand. They were works of art, as they should be for $15 per.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't been to Mario in a while, but if I remember correctly, he was about $15 for hemming pants and $25 to shorten shirt sleeves. Sid's tailor is about the same for the pants, but a little less for shirts -- $20 to shorten shirt sleeves or to taper a shirt.

Sid's tailor charges much less for working button holes, but they're done by machine. Mario tailored my Isaia tux, but, for the buttonholes, sent it to a woman who did them by hand. They were works of art, as they should be for $15 per.

Ahh, Mario. Expensive as hell, but never says no to a job.

SeaGriffin

Reaction score
This is old, but for someone else looking for info.
I've been using Saul's in Sandy Spring (the reweavers). They took in some sleeves for me and did a good job. However, while they can definitely follow directions, lately I have gotten the feeling that they aren't thinking on their own regarding the alterations I ask for.

I asked them to fix a button on trench coat and the throat strap on my storm collar. They fixed the button and acted like they fixed the coat because they couldn't figure out what the neck needed and felt it was my job to figure the job out. Perhaps that is fair, but I'd hope for more knowledge.

I am going to check about 'Mario'. However, I get the feeling he has retired because I found this website at his previous address:
http://www.tflor.com/otherpgs/makesuit.html

That isn't the homepage, just a page that I thought someone might find of use on the same website.

Perhaps I will try out Sid Mashburn? I don't know.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Necro. Looking for someone outside of mario/sid for cheap alterations ITP. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I was thinking about trying hong kong on Buford but not so sure.

rhackit

Reaction score
I used Mario for years. He does very good work. His prices are competitive with others in town. Note, however, that when you pick up your clothes, they will smell like smoke. Nothing that won't air out in a few hours, but not very pleasant.I've been having my alterations done at Sid Mashburn for the past year or so. It's more convenient to where I work, and I get what I think is better advice about how things should fit. The quality of the work is probably on par with Mario, but I'm not sufficiently expert to say for sure. Prices are comparable.
Thanks for the heads up on Sid Mashburn. I keep forgetting about them when I'm on that side of town. (I'm a Tech grad, so I'm over there for nostalgia every so often)

I can second the recommendation for the tailor at Sid Mashburn. I used him when I lived in Atlanta and was always happy with his work--with one exception. The exception was that he took my measurements for a MTM shirt I ordered from the store and the shirt came back way off. I was moving out of town so I just got a refund--never found out if it was the measurements or manufacturing that was off.

On the cheaper side, Gill's Alterations around Lenox mall has done good work for my wife.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads