• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who were some of your worst, rudest, and/or most ignorant customers?

grooveholmes

Reaction score
go to a pharmacy and wait for some of the people on medicaid to show up. then wait for the people with money to show up. total suckfest on both ends of the spectrum. poor people who feel entitled, and privileged people who feel entitled.

mondayc

Reaction score
Well you probably lost a customer with the Value Village jacket. You never know the circumstances. I had one guy come in with some cheap, dirty thrift store jacket and did a similar thing. We got to talking and he just got a massive promotion at work, along with a $3,000 bonus that he wanted to spend on clothes for his new office position. I didn't necessarily critique his jacket out loud (it was too big), but had him try on a few different sizes (off the hanger, no easily visible size tag) in front of a three-way mirror and we found his true size. Obviously I had to tell him that he was a 40L instead of a 44L at some point, but once he saw what a well-fitting jacket looks like on him, it wasn't such a blow.
Other than that story, I don't think you're being too much of a douchebag at all. When a customer is trying to return stuff obviously worn or even destroyed (and outside of the return policy), you have to be defensive and blunt.

Speaking of, I had a woman get mad at me today because I wouldn't exchange her 6-year-old son's urine-stained sheets and comforter set. She didn't even wash them before bagging them up and taking them to the store. Seriously wtf?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think some of these discount places like Walmart and Dollar central have a pretty liberal return policy and minimum wage workers who might not be vested in the company. Some consumers get used to this and expect the same when they come into a higher end clothing store and therein lies the problem when they think they can exchange their crusty old shite for new threads. I've heard a few similar stories myself and honestly don't know where some people get the balls but when needs must .....

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
I think some of these discount places like Walmart and Dollar central have a pretty liberal return policy and minimum wage workers who might not be vested in the company. Some consumers get used to this and expect the same when they come into a higher end clothing store and therein lies the problem when they think they can exchange their crusty old shite for new threads. I've heard a few similar stories myself and honestly don't know where some people get the balls but when needs must .....

Many of these types of stores don't even bother to inspect the goods when they are returned.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
critasism

Of all the bull-ish that was listed in that post (most of which I skipped over), the above is what I LOLed hardest at!

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Many of these types of stores don't even bother to inspect the goods when they are returned.

These are the same stores that would rather tolerate a "reasonable amount" of employee theft than raise wages and provide decent benefits. FYI: I've actually heard a multi-unit manager refer to a "reasonable amount" of employee theft. Store-level retail is a b**** in most companies, regardless of how many degrees or how much product knowledge a person has. If you don't have an end-game that requires store-level work, I'd avoid it like the plague (assuming you have that luxury).

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KingOfTheForum
Of all the bull-ish that was listed in that post (most of which I skipped over), the above is what I LOLed hardest at!

Nothing wrong with creative spelling...
laugh.gif

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KingOfTheForum
These are the same stores that would rather tolerate a "reasonable amount" of employee theft than raise wages and provide decent benefits. FYI: I've actually heard a multi-unit manager refer to a "reasonable amount" of employee theft..

Zero shrinkage is almost impossible. You could hire a security guard for each employee. Then you need a guard to watch the guard. Then a security camera to watch the guard watching the guard. Then you need to make sure they aren't all in it together.

People don't steal because they are underpaid. Often the people who steal the most are the ones who need it least.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Zero shrinkage is almost impossible. You could hire a security guard for each employee. Then you need a guard to watch the guard. Then a security camera to watch the guard watching the guard. Then you need to make sure they aren't all in it together.

People don't steal because they are underpaid. Often the people who steal the most are the ones who need it least.

The engine behind kleptomania is an irrational impulse to steal not to acquire an object...

A kleptomaniac will steal anything in any shop...

Trying to apply a rational modus vivendi to kleptomaniacs is not realistic.

Most people caught stealing are either feeding a habit or lacking the moral fiber to work hard to get what they want.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For many if not most large stores, employee theft is greater than theft from patrons. Even worse, many employees don't view their taking of money, products, or services as theft. Many view it as a means of getting their just compensation because they feel they are being paid justly.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
For many if not most large stores, employee theft is greater than theft from patrons. Even worse, many employees don't view their taking of money, products, or services as theft. Many view it as a means of getting their just compensation because they feel they are being paid justly.

And I'd say most of them would steal no matter what you pay them.

Madoff wasn't underpaid. The idea that the poor are more likely to steal has a certain taint to it. Being poor doesn't mean you lack morals. The people I've known with the worst morals have never needed money.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And I'd say most of them would steal no matter what you pay them.

Madoff wasn't underpaid. The idea that the poor are more likely to steal has a certain taint to it. Being poor doesn't mean you lack morals. The people I've known with the worst morals have never needed money.

Exactly, I agree with all your points.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of total cunts and cuntjuice, I worked in a woman's clothing store during high school (hey, it was the middle of a recession). Many would think "great way to meet hot chicks," but unfortunately this store was in a rather depressed part of Toronto and the clientele trended older and fatter than I would have liked...

Some of the sales associates were hawt though. That's why, when I heard them squealing in at the back of the store during closing time (I was upfront at the cash, which is where I worked, because I couldn't very well be helping these women pick out and try on their muu-muu-like garments), I went back like Sir Galahad to help out. I thought it was a mouse or something...

The cause of the consternation? Some biddy changed tampons in the fitting room, and dumped the old one as well as the bloodied applicator in the middle of the floor. Guess who had to scoop it up with a piece of cardboard and dispose of it?

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Bardamu

Speaking of total cunts and cuntjuice, I worked in a woman's clothing store during high school (hey, it was the middle of a recession). Many would think "great way to meet hot chicks," but unfortunately this store was in a rather depressed part of Toronto and the clientele trended older and fatter than I would have liked...

Some of the sales associates were hawt though. That's why, when I heard them squealing in at the back of the store during closing time (I was upfront at the cash, which is where I worked, because I couldn't very well be helping these women pick out and try on their muu-muu-like garments), I went back like Sir Galahad to help out. I thought it was a mouse or something...

The cause of the consternation? Some biddy changed tampons in the fitting room, and dumped the old one as well as the bloodied applicator in the middle of the floor. Guess who had to scoop it up with a piece of cardboard and dispose of it?

laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics