• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uses for a pressure cooker

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a pressure cooker, primarily for cooking beans and grains. For what else should I use it?

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Chicken stock. Veal stock, if you make that.

Sad as it is, since I decided to give up eating veal more than once or twice per year, I stopped cooking with veal stock. Shocking, I know.

I was thinking about cooking brisket in the PC. Friends say they cook roasts, and I may try one of those Italian stove top recipes that involve just a little liquid with the meat. I used to cook a lot of Marcella Hazan recipes and will look for inspiration there.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I have been told that, somewhat counterintuitively, risotto comes out pretty well.
Have not tried it myself.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I have been told that, somewhat counterintuitively, risotto comes out pretty well. Have not tried it myself.
I prefer it in a rice cooker if you're going to go that route. I think it lends its self better to the slower cooking.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
A lot of braised stuff.

And rye berries. OMG
inlove.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OK, take a live lobster, put in about 2/3 cup of sauternes (or other sweet wine) and 1/3 cup of OJ. Add some aromatic vegetables cut nicely, a tablespoon or so of butter (or olive oil) and some ginger (if you like it.) Close the lid, put over high heat. When it hits the first bar of pressure, or hits pressure set to the lower level, lower the heat and keep at this pressure for three minutes. Then remove from heat and leave another three minutes. Release the pressure, take the lobster out and let it cool a touch. Meanwhile, boil the liquid to reduce it a little and finish cooking the vegetables. Crack the lobster, put in a bowl and spoon the juices over. It will be perfect.

Also, like Kyle said, braise stuff, but be careful because it can get pretty dry. Pot au feu, which your loved one would detest, is fantastic in a pressure cooker, especially if made with oxtails.

Alex C

Reaction score
Anything Alton Brown does in a pressure cooker is the correct thing to do.

Watch the episode where he makes stock the first time, good into on how they work, what they do, etc.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
does it being alive effect the cooking time?
No idea. I wouldn't cook a lobster I didn't kill, though. If you wanted to pierce its brain first, the cooking time ought to be the same. Don't know why you would.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
No idea. I wouldn't cook a lobster I didn't kill, though. If you wanted to pierce its brain first, the cooking time ought to be the same. Don't know why you would.

You ANIMAL!
Lobster are person too.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members