• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally kop myself a pair of Indy 403. I've been meaning to get this shoe since I joined this forum couple years ago. I'm still loving my PTB burgundy boots. I'll snap some pics when I get the Indy.

Thor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amlai
For the most part, I just use a horsehair brush and buff them as much as possible. For the deeper stuff, I use a light coating of cordovan Kiwi wax polish. That pretty much covers up any deep damage that I do. I wear my #8 Indy boots everywhere and don't worry about any scuffing and have had them refurbished once already.

Thanks Amlai- I have seen your pics before and they helped inspire to me to pull the trigger on my boots.

Questions- I noticed you had different laces than Alden standard before restoration- did you go back them? I take it you prefer the thicker cloth laces?

I know you asked Alden NOT to recolor them when you sent them back and were disappointed that they did anyways...How long ago was that and what do they look like now?

amlai

Reaction score
I more or less use whatever laces are available. I had thicker laces since a friendly Alden dealer was nice enough to ship me a few sets of laces and that's what got sent. I liked them because they were more durable, but I like the way the standard laces look better. I wish Alden / Alden dealers sold laces rather than having to ask a dealer or Alden to be nice and ship me some.

I had them refurbished in March '09. I don't have anything newer, but this was how they looked in December '09:
img2746sized.jpg

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my first pair of Alden today in the mail. The 405 Indy's...tried them on and they fit right on point. They also feel extremely comfortable out of the box. I am trying to fight the urge to purchase more now.
devil.gif

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreatHighway
#8 toe-cap boot. first day of wear

2vcxt05.jpg

very nice

I am coveting a pair of boots

REguy

Reaction score
Thoughts on the new natural chromexcel? The Band-Aid color of it doesn't seem that versatile.

Attachment 48651

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's interesting. Doesn't turn me off. I wonder how the color would change with time. They might look nice after they creased and broke in and got a little dirty, and the uniform bandaid color separated out into lighter and darker areas. Also, the leather overall would darken with use and exposure to sun. Could be a great alternative for summer.

Is that Plaza last?

REguy

Reaction score
Not sure. Shoemart just posted them, but there's no description. It almost looks the the modified last based on the picture of the sole.

Attachment 48652

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by REguy
Thoughts on the new natural chromexcel? The Band-Aid color of it doesn't seem that versatile.

Attachment 48651

I like these, much better than the standard indy color. It's funny, anytime something new comes out people are apprehensive about it but as soon as some early adopters come along and post things in context they are quick to approve and jump on the bandwagon instead of judging it on its own merit.

Thor

Reaction score
Speed Hook Misery.

I have had these boots for 6 days and already the speed hook is tearing. Is this a QC issue? Or just crappy design? I do tend crank my boots down- and have had issues with other speed hooks in the past (not Alden) - but not after a week.

Right now it is mainly just the top one but the others on that side are also showing signs of a similar fate. Neither the other side of the boot nor the other boot is showing such wear.

Should I return to Alden for fixing or can a cobbler do just a good of a job>quicker.

thoughts?

0041024x768p.jpg

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sucks, esp. on a shell boot. Not good to see the tearing in the leather on the top one.

I'd send a pic to Alden and see what they say. Maybe they'll work on the boot free of charge.

GreatHighway

Reaction score
those ripped eyelets! i almost cried upon seeing that
frown.gif
the natural chromexcel looks like a good alternative if youre having trouble finding something in whiskey, colorwise. id like to get a real life pic of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads