• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inconsistent cutlery and crockery etc

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of posters here have mixed pots and pans for different tasks - I've got four or five brands floating around in my cabinets that I can think of off the top of my head. As long as your stuff is in good repair, or has a happily used look, I think it's a non-issue. Your goal as host is to make your guests feel comfortable and enjoy their time with you. Do that and no one will care.

If it's bothering the heck out of you, you can give yourself a great look without highlighting your differing equipment. Consider a drawer for your knives.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...ge-tray/?pkey=ckitchen-organization|deckitdrw

And there are lots of decent, inexpensive pieces that can give you consistency -- you can pick up a basic white $30 dish set from ikea. Their flatware is dirt cheap too if it runs to your taste. And restaurant supply stores have very good and reasonably priced pots and pans, so another good option if you need consistency in look, but also want some quality.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as you stay away from German enamel cookware (don't remember brand) you should be fine.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I prefer differing styles in cookware and distrust any cook who has everything matching and too clean. One of the best cooks I know gets everything thrifted, nothing matches save a couple of Chantal frypans.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think it's alright, except you either have 1 of one kind, enough different but similarly themed pieces for a service, or 4 or 5 pieces or so of the same exact thing, table-wise. In the kitchen, who cares? Pots and pans don't come to the table.

KenN

Reaction score
I feel that kitchenware shouldn't be bought in sets, uniformity in cutlery, china etc. gives off that OCD vibe and might make your home feel a bit clinical and industrial for your visiting guests. Just keep thrifting and going to garage sales, you will find a lot of items sold in sets.

Chopsticks on the other hand should be consistent, it will be a pain ********** to match them up every time you decide to use them.
laugh.gif

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KenN
I feel that kitchenware shouldn't be bought in sets, uniformity in cutlery, china etc. gives off that OCD vibe and might make your home feel a bit clinical and industrial for your visiting guests. Just keep thrifting and going to garage sales, you will find a lot of items sold in sets.

Chopsticks on the other hand should be consistent, it will be a pain ********** to match them up every time you decide to use them.
laugh.gif

Matching cutlery and china is OCD? I agree that its funny to have all matching cookware (unless you are just starting and bought one of those gigantic sets where you won't use half of it) but plates and knives? How many adults who are not living in their first or second apartment don't actually have enough matching plates/knives/forks/glasses/etc that they could not have matching place settings for a dinner for 4?

To the OP, I have had really good luck with slickdeals for cutlery. Seems like there are deals on Oneida sets pretty frequently and $35 or whatever isn't really much to spend on full service for 8...

Petrolhead

Reaction score
I'd rather (and I'm doing it) get one set of cutlery and crockery, even if it's not "the one"... Go for a discount set.

KenN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Matching cutlery and china is OCD? I agree that its funny to have all matching cookware (unless you are just starting and bought one of those gigantic sets where you won't use half of it) but plates and knives? How many adults who are not living in their first or second apartment don't actually have enough matching plates/knives/forks/glasses/etc that they could not have matching place settings for a dinner for 4? To the OP, I have had really good luck with slickdeals for cutlery. Seems like there are deals on Oneida sets pretty frequently and $35 or whatever isn't really much to spend on full service for 8...
If I opened someone's drawer, and saw this:
viking_13_piece_cutlery_set_with_in-drawer_storage.jpg
I would considered that to be slightly OCD. edit: but then again, I live with two chefs. So my idea of a kitchen is warped.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KenN
If I opened someone's drawer, and saw this:
viking_13_piece_cutlery_set_with_in-drawer_storage.jpg

But that's not cutlery...that is a matched knife set (and probably not OCD just $$$ with zero actual interest in cooking).

I still don't think there is anything OCD about having 8 matching knives/forks/spoons/plates/glasses

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I still don't think there is anything OCD about having 8 matching knives/forks/spoons/plates/glasses
I think that would be considered sliverware/flatware and not cutlery. Cutlery being your cutting knives and such. I can't imagine people have 3 or 4 different patterns of spoons and forks.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
China and cutlery should at the very least compliment each other.

Originally Posted by Rambo
I think that would be considered sliverware/flatware and not cutlery. Cutlery being your cutting knives and such. I can't imagine people have 3 or 4 different patterns of spoons and forks.

Looks like I meant silverware/flatwear too
blush.gif

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Cutlery refers to any hand implement used in preparing, serving, and especially eating food in the Western world. It is more usually known as silverware or flatware in the United States, where cutlery can have the more specific meaning of knives and other cutting instruments. This is probably the original meaning of the word. Since silverware suggests the presence of silver, the term tableware has come into use.

The major items of cutlery in the Western world are the knife, fork and spoon.

Looks like the US or some parts of it would only use cutlery for knives but in general it is your silverware.

Milpool

Reaction score
I actually ate in a restaurant once that used mismatched and varying styles and patterns of cutlery (tableware) and dishes. It worked for them. It was done in an artistic way and fit the personality of the place.

If I tried to do that, everyone would assume I was in serious need of medical attention.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads