• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you drive a replica / kit car?

Smartalox

Reaction score
So I'm sitting here, contemplating the day when my second childhood will kick in, and I'm considering something in a roadster. Not something to break the bank, but a classic little two seater... a convertible... sporty... eye catching... a little rakish... and most importantly, fun to drive.

Cost will be a factor in this decision, so I'd probably be buying used. I'd be prepared to invest a little time and personal effort into improving engine and suspension, but the car would have to have good bones. This would be a car for driving first and tinkering second - not the other way around.

Therefore no ancient Alfa / Fiat Spyders or (shudder) British electrical systems.

A BMW Z3 or Z4 comes to mind, decent handling, are plentiful second hand, and well serviced in the aftermarket, but I'm not a fan of their styling. Now the Z8 (or the 507) is more my style, but the price!

Miatas are fairly well engineered, but I loathe the way they look... and their ubiquity. They all look the same to me, and what they all look like is smiley and effeminate.

I'm seriously considering buying a used Miata or Z3/Z4 and installing a new / different body. Not the standard 'Cobra' or Daytona knock off (too cheezy) or something that will make a Miata look like a Boxster.

Something like Z4 to Z8

Or this: Z3 to MB190SL

Would you agree? I mean, Styleformers get their clothes tailored to express their individuality... what about our cars? I mean, within reason; I would prefer to hang a new body onto a professionally esigned and built Federal Motor Vehicle Safety certified chassis than risk a one-off handbuilt by someone who can't tell the difference between mild and hi-tensile steel.

turboman808

Reaction score
A well built replica sure. A kit car no way.

Even a good replica will set you back over 100 grand. Ultima GTR, Factory 5 GTM or Superformance GT40 would all be great toys!

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
why would you want to turn a Miata into a Boxster?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
how about the Fiero to MR2 non-turbo conversion, ever considered that?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
lol, I read that wrong.

That Filipino site you linked to that does the Z8 conversion and the Reventon are kind of cool I guess. They still cost like $100K after you're done though. If you have good enough credit and roll like that you, could always get the 120 month loan on a used Gallardo, lol.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of doing something like this but rather finding a vintage roadster and then restoring it myself. Now if I could just get rid of Wayne Carini.

jkw

Reaction score
Not practical, but if it's a second car... I want one as a daily driver but it'll take a while until I'm old enough to insure it... I've spent far too long lusting after these on youtube

cobra-langhals-oh-BIG.jpg

This is more practical and I'd take it over a ford gt any day

2010_superformance_shelby_daytona_coupe_01.jpg

Benzito

Reaction score
Some cars are realistically only available via "kit" or replica and have been around for a long enough time that there are multiple vendors and the costs have come down. Those BMW / MB replicas look pretty neat, but the interiors and the drive trains are not at all comparable to what the true car is supposed to be.

Compare that to the three most popular replicas that I am aware of - Porsche 356 / Speedster, Porsche 550, and Shelby Cobra. You can get a very good replica that offers an engine and the mechanical bits that are close, if not identical, to what exists on the real collector cars. The seats, gauges, and instruments all look accurate. And while I am sure that owners of the "real" cars probably snub their noses at replica owners, the other 99% of people probably don't care that it is a fake. There have been exponentially more Cobra knock-offs made than were ever made by the factory and nobody cares (except Shelby, who didn't get in on the licensing until relatively recently.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
with the exception of the some of the Cobra kits, i have yet to see a replica kit that wasn't absolute **** quality

Benzito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
with the exception of the some of the Cobra kits, i have yet to see a replica kit that wasn't absolute **** quality

What about the Beck Speedsters and 550s? They've been doing those for 20 or 30 years.

I think there is a huge difference between a kit, that you are expected to build on your own with whatever parts you can cobble together, and a replica, usually built by a factory or garage to certain specifications. Since the OP was talking about buying a car basically ready-to-drive, I assume he isn't looking to do all (or any of) the work himself.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Benzito
What about the Beck Speedsters and 550s? They've been doing those for 20 or 30 years.
haven't seen those. i'm sure there are good quality 'replicas' that i haven't seen, but OP is talking about buying a cheap car and converting it. i didn't get the impression that he was looking to spend $50-100k and i would definitely stay well clear of anything fiberglass

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
After seeing the Lancia Stratos kit car on Top Gear, its made me a bit wary of kit cars in general. I'm most likely making an over-generalization of kit cars.

And speaking of which, the new Lancia Stratos was seen on the Fiat track this week.
http://blogs.timeslive.co.za/wheelde...ratos-revival/

That would be the only cool kit car looking into.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads