• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic, not that bad

aphextwin07

Reaction score
br quality has gone down quite significantly over the past 5,6 years, there's no denying that as I have made most of my workwear purchases from there over the years, being a recent college grad and not having the dough for more expensive clothing.

i do really like their dress pants though as far as fit/look/quality, when on sale they seem to be a good value.

their slim fit shirts dont exactly fit that great around the waist but otherwise they are cut relatively slim. i've noticed that sizing down 1 size from your actual size actually gives you an almost perfect cut for an OTR shirt. I'm normally a size S and find that the XS shirts fit like a glove, I only wish I had realized this sooner. Still though, the patterns on almost all of their slim cut dress shirts suck ball$ and you see very little variety as the seasons change. If they came out with some simple, basic patterns or even solids I would probably get more of my dress shirts here as they are a decent value when heavily discounted. Still hard to find affordable dress shirts that look good if you aren't a high roller. BB slim fit is no better from my experience as far as the fit.

hellrazor

Reaction score
i have to say their medium tall is the perfect sizing for me. if they had some better styles i would buy more often from there.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hellrazor
i have to say their medium tall is the perfect sizing for me. if they had some better styles i would buy more often from there.

+1

I'll wear their poplin button down shirts to work since it's a business casual envrionment and their medium tall shirts fit me better off the rack than anything else I've managed to come across.

svelten

Reaction score
Can't say I've gone wrong with any of my BR purchases - $25 belts, $24 chinos, $150 overcoat, $30 leather gloves, $40 cashmere scarf and a $35 v-neck sweater. All new, straight from the store so I could actually try them on, and all have lasted 3+ years. Their value on sale is indisputable - if BR is "poor quality", what do you call the **** they sell at H&M, Zara, Hilfiger, Monaco, Nigerian-level rubbish? Their shirts are awful and their suits are beyond terrible, but that's not what you enter the store for. More than often I'm just as happy, if not more so with the price I've paid for a BR piece than some "middling designer ****" for twice the price (but not twice the value) that I've found on eBay.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gilwood
The stuff is only worth it after massive sales and discounts.

I like about 20% of the current BR offerings. The sales can make the good stuff a killer deal.

As I said before, the brand used to be killer but has fallen on some hard times. I still believe we will see the corporate side restructure the brand in the next couple years much like they did to save Gap.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Buy something there and they'll give you a bunch of 40 percent off coupons for every Wednesday in July. Coupon works only for regularly-priced items.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
Buy something there and they'll give you a bunch of 40 percent off coupons for every Wednesday in July. Coupon works only a regularly-priced items.

I believe the coupons work at Gap too.

snuff_daddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
Buy something there and they'll give you a bunch of 40 percent off coupons for every Wednesday in July. Coupon works only for regularly-priced items.

i bought something recently and i didnt get any 40% off coupons? i got one from their newsletter last week

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a current pt-employee at BR, I have to agree that the style and quality of the stuff has generally gone in a downward direction in the recent past.

But, I can also say that the hype we're getting from people upstairs is that this current Fall season is going to be the "big turnaround," so to speak.

Now, my bet is that that's just brand hype and bull, but you never know. From what I've seen in pictures and in the PK books they release to the stores before the lines come out, it could be on its way back up.

But it's true - the stuff isn't worth its price until it's been marked down.

JG000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
As a current pt-employee at BR, I have to agree that the style and quality of the stuff has generally gone in a downward direction in the recent past.

But, I can also say that the hype we're getting from people upstairs is that this current Fall season is going to be the "big turnaround," so to speak.

Now, my bet is that that's just brand hype and bull, but you never know. From what I've seen in pictures and in the PK books they release to the stores before the lines come out, it could be on its way back up.

Quality of clothing aside (I actually happen to like their stuff) - how is it as far as job? Are they a decent employer?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JG000
Quality of clothing aside (I actually happen to like their stuff) - how is it as far as job? Are they a decent employer?
Don't get me wrong - the employee discount means I have a lot of BR/Gap in my wardrobe too. For basics it's great. 50% off stuff is the main reason I keep the job. It all kind of depends on management. Currently we have a great crew at my store, and so it makes working there quite fun and entertaining. The company itself is decent enough to work for; all very professional, ability to move up, rather flexible hours (for a full-time student and father), and I can't say I've ever had any issues that couldn't be resolved. If anything the worst of my experience with GAPInc has been personality clashes - which realistically you just suck it up and do your job. There's never been anything that's happened where I wouldn't recommend them as an employer. I don't know - what more would you want to know, JG000?

hastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino

I'll believe it when I see it. I don't even go into BR anymore, it's a real shame too because there used to be a lot of nice stuff to be found for very cheap due to the coupons that come around once a week or so.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hastur
I'll believe it when I see it. I don't even go into BR anymore, it's a real shame too because there used to be a lot of nice stuff to be found for very cheap due to the coupons that come around once a week or so.

It's going to happen at some point, if not this fall, soon. Think about how much they invested in Gap to make it feel relevant again. I know I sound like a broken record on this, but I predict BR is next. Too much potential money is to be made, not to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads