• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you apply for another job while still doing your current job?

ektaylor

Reaction score
Why not explain the situation to the potential employer? Try to provide some substantiated evidence of your worth at your current employer that's so obvious it doesn't need corroboration? Just don't pull a David Shuster.

Milpool

Reaction score
Usually if they are interested in you, they'll accept the fact that they can't ruin your life by going to your current employer.

svelten

Reaction score
What if your current employer is your best and most glowing reference? I've worked at the same office for 2 years since graduating, and all my internships in the past completely pale in comparison to what I've done here. Kind of a tough spot for a job seeker.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a situation after law school where I loved working at the place I interned at, but realized the boss could not afford to pay me a reasonable salary as an attorney. I went into his office and had a conversation with him like a grown up and explained I would love to continue working for him but needed a job with more money. He accepted that and agreed to provide me with a glowing reference wherever I went, and to keep me employed at my then salary for as long as I worked for him. I promised to not go work for his big competitor in town (who had also married his ex-wife, awkward) and to give him full two weeks notice after accepting any job offer as well as to help train a replacement.

I went on a half-dozen interviews that month, found one I wanted to work at, gave the notice, and everything was fine. I think it went rather well.

Sunnydale

Reaction score
Well, I guess it depends on the relationship you have with your current boss. I'd be carful though. I've seen several firings occur after someone told their employer he/she was testing the employment market.

blackjack

Reaction score
Don't know how to handle the references issue but one other thing to definitely watch out for is to NOT use your current work email address on your resume or when corresponding with potential employers. Aside from the risk of being found out, a lot would consider it unprofessional.

Also, make sure your personal email handle does not set off any bells. For example, [email protected] or [email protected] just don't cut it. Same goes for any unique handle where a simple google search might yield years of embarrassing posts on some Internet forum.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PM me.

Ill give you my phone number and you can say Im your boss. $50, lie ****** off and you get the job.

kthnxbai.

ektaylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
PM me.

Ill give you my phone number and you can say Im your boss. $50, lie ****** off and you get the job.

kthnxbai.

No wonder you eat microwave eggs.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
If you are an intern, a recent grad, a junior copywriter, a second year law associate, or similar, please just go to your boss and tell him what you intend to do. Your job hunt need not be a secret. Upon hearing your plans your boss will likely be impressed by your ambition and your professional courtesy. Please understand that almost all underlings are terrifically replaceable. Don't be confused about this. If they can replace NASA shuttle pilots, Yankees outfielders, and Price Is Right hosts then they can replace you. What is it you do again? Making a big deal about leaving makes you look silly.

w.kevin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I had a situation after law school where I loved working at the place I interned at, but realized the boss could not afford to pay me a reasonable salary as an attorney. I went into his office and had a conversation with him like a grown up and explained I would love to continue working for him but needed a job with more money. He accepted that and agreed to provide me with a glowing reference wherever I went, and to keep me employed at my then salary for as long as I worked for him. I promised to not go work for his big competitor in town (who had also married his ex-wife, awkward) and to give him full two weeks notice after accepting any job offer as well as to help train a replacement. I went on a half-dozen interviews that month, found one I wanted to work at, gave the notice, and everything was fine. I think it went rather well.
+100. This is the way to do it. Unless your boss is a prick, in which case do what you have to and don't unnecessarily burn bridges.

B Hamilton

Reaction score
Any job with a boss and peers worth noting will understand if your reasons are legit. if you already know that they'll be jerks about it then you should've bailed already. Especially in this economy, the chance to get more should be respected. Let your boss know that your work will remain up to par and you'll give 2 wks-1 month notice and you'll be fine when your new offer comes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads