• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Student moving out for the first time - help and advice needed :)

Usul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) encourages the growth of cancerous cells and fuels ones if they already exist.

For food: brown rice, oatmeal, nuts, peanut butter, cottage cheese, fruits/veggies, egg whites

Yes, more power; for life!

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Things to get:

Microwave/toaster oven
Panini grill/George Foreman grill
Bath towels
409 and rags to wash wipe everything
Broom & dustpan
Mop
Window covering/blinds/curtains
Toilet seat
Shower curtain
A chair
Bed linen
A water purifier
Container to hold drinking water
Plunger
A scrubbing brush
Doormat

You can find simple meal ideas searching the web. When I did this all I had was a cookbook with simple recipes but it helped A LOT.

And remember: wall paint goes a long way

Do you have a place lined up? If so, tell us about it.

Thanks for the list, very helpful. And I don't have a place lined up for sure yet, but I'm going to see a place tomorrow that is a) in my budget and b) a place I could definitely see myself in. I'm at work right now, but I'll post the pics of it when I get home. Too much work to find and post pics from my iPhone.

Zachgranstrom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) encourages the growth of cancerous cells and fuels ones if they already exist.

I'll put that little bit of knowledge in the who cares category.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Incman
Roommate is a definite no. I'm moving partially to leave a situation of loud, dirty and inconsiderate family members, so I'm not gonna risk having all the same issues with a roommate.

Dude, relax. My family drives me as crazy as anyone for exactly the same reasons. I'm just saying, stay open to the possibility in the future. In my experience, living alone too much when young allows people to retreat too much into their own weirdness. Also, in my experience dealing with roomate stuff is much easier simply because they are roomates, and your relationship with them doesnt carry all the same baggage as that of family.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simple Food ideas

1) Get marinara sauce (in a jar, on sale) and any pasta. Boil pasta and heat the sauce.
2) Kraft Macaroni and cheese (watch for it on sale and stock up. Boil and eat.
3) Taco seasoning mix, 1 lb hamburger, taco shells and cheese. Fry hamburger, add seasoning and let sit.
4)Jambalaya mix, just add one package of Adells sausages like cajun or artichoke and garlic. Boil and serve.
5) any egg dish.
6) we buy pre cooked chickens at any of the grocery stores around here for only $9. they are good for at least two meals. Cut up and put on lettuce for a chicken ceasar salad.

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
Dude, relax. My family drives me as crazy as anyone for exactly the same reasons. I'm just saying, stay open to the possibility in the future. In my experience, living alone too much when young allows people to retreat too much into their own weirdness. Also, in my experience dealing with roomate stuff is much easier simply because they are roomates, and your relationship with them doesnt carry all the same baggage as that of family.

Lol I reread my post and I didn't mean for it to come across as douchey sounding. My apologies. However, the point stands. I've been through a lot in my life that has weight on my decision, and my mind is made up. I appreciate the points you make regarding roommates, but I do not need anymore stresses added to my life, especially if they can be avoided. I made this thread to get some advice on furnishings/household supplies/cooking, and I'm still open to any advice the wiser members here can contribute. Thanks
smile.gif

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Simple Food ideas

1) Get marinara sauce (in a jar, on sale) and any pasta. Boil pasta and heat the sauce.
2) Kraft Macaroni and cheese (watch for it on sale and stock up. Boil and eat.
3) Taco seasoning mix, 1 lb hamburger, taco shells and cheese. Fry hamburger, add seasoning and let sit.
4)Jambalaya mix, just add one package of Adells sausages like cajun or artichoke and garlic. Boil and serve.
5) any egg dish.
6) we buy pre cooked chickens at any of the grocery stores around here for only $9. they are good for at least two meals. Cut up and put on lettuce for a chicken ceasar salad.

Great list. Thanks a lot
smile.gif

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol I reread my post and I didn't mean for it to come across as douchey sounding. My apologies. However, the point stands. I've been through a lot in my life that has weight on my decision, and my mind is made up. I appreciate the points you make regarding roommates, but I do not need anymore stresses added to my life, especially if they can be avoided. I made this thread to get some advice on furnishings/household supplies/cooking, and I'm still open to any advice the wiser members here can contribute. Thanks
smile.gif

Fair enough. I would say don't buy any new furniture. Period. Even from ikea. You can almost always get something better from craigslist/consignmentshops/garage sales, and it will almost always cost less.

Incman

Reaction score
Fair enough. I would say don't buy any new furniture. Period. Even from ikea. You can almost always get something better from craigslist/consignmentshops/garage sales, and it will almost always cost less.

Definitely. Just doing a cursory glance of kijiji i saw several cheap and clean options for couches and coffee tables and such. Not that I could afford to buy everything new anyhow lol.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

and www.freecycle.org/

TurboBruce

Reaction score
smile.gif

I can totally understand that you want to live alone. I had a few roommates when I moved out of my parents' house and now I'm really happy to finally live alone.

Anyway, try not to worry too much about all the stuff you might need. At first, I got a ton of things just because I thought that I would be needing them or because they were things that people generally had in their homes. I ended up getting rid of most of it because I didn't really use it and it took too much space. Once you have basic furniture and all that you can probably just get the rest whenever you feel like you're missing something.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Spaghetti is easy to cook and so is Hamburger Helper. A decent vacuum and some Resolve are good to keep around. AA, AAA and 9Volt batteries -- buy them! Bigbris has a good list too.

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by huihui105
nomatter who you are new or old customers to buy the corresponding product on this site, both a gift, so stay tuned! ! ! UGG BOOT ,nike shoes,air jordan shoes,nike shox shoes,gucci shoes ,true religion jeans, ed hardy jeans,coogi jeans,affliction jeans, Laguna Beach Jeans,ed hardy T-shirts,Coogi T-shirts,Christian Audigier T-shirts,Gucci T-shirts,Polo T-shirts,coach handbag,gucci handbag,prada handbag,chanel handbag . (I)Our Company is Online store, and we alawys offer top quality sport shoes, famous brand shoes and sportswear at good price. (II) In the past 6 years, we have sent great many products to the customers in USA, Europe, ASIA and other area, also we have lots of experience in dealing with online business oversea (III) Generally, Goods are delivered in fast and safety way Of course, shoes and clothing will be packaged in original box with tags
This is a good thread. GTFO spam!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ill veer away from the food recs and give you some other kind of advice.

My guess is that you are probably a little apprehensive about the new situation, as anyone would be - especially about moving out in times of stress.

Moving day will be extremely hard and stressful, if you have a family member / SO with you, plan on getting in a fight.

Your first night will be a little odd, knowing you have nobody to back you up in case of an emergency. Make sure the doors are locked, if you have an alarm system, make sure its on. It will help you sleep better.

Keep a weapon of some form close to the bed.

Know where the fusebox is and keep a flashlight handy.

Never run out of batteries, paper towels, beer, or toilet paper.

Your first grocery store trip, plan on spending $300 or so to stock up on canned goods, cleaning supplies, etc. for a "just in case" moment.

Get a safe or lockbox.

Know where the closest fire dept. and police stations are located.

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Ill veer away from the food recs and give you some other kind of advice.

My guess is that you are probably a little apprehensive about the new situation, as anyone would be - especially about moving out in times of stress.

Moving day will be extremely hard and stressful, if you have a family member / SO with you, plan on getting in a fight.

Your first night will be a little odd, knowing you have nobody to back you up in case of an emergency. Make sure the doors are locked, if you have an alarm system, make sure its on. It will help you sleep better.

Keep a weapon of some form close to the bed.

Know where the fusebox is and keep a flashlight handy.

Never run out of batteries, paper towels, beer, or toilet paper.

Your first grocery store trip, plan on spending $300 or so to stock up on canned goods, cleaning supplies, etc. for a "just in case" moment.

Get a safe or lockbox.

Know where the closest fire dept. and police stations are located.

Stop making me paranoid.
ffffuuuu.gif
Good advice, though. I always lock **** and check multiple times (should probably add to the OCD threak), multiple flashlights, probably 100 batteries, baseball bat resides in arms reach under bed, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads