• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Student moving out for the first time - help and advice needed :)

Incman

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Due to family issues (which I will not bother getting into), I will be moving out on my own for the first time on September 1st. I am 18, currently finished 1 year of university and starting the second in September. I would like to tap into the SF hivemind for advice regarding all the new experiences I will face when living on my own. And in case it matters, I will be living alone, not with roommates. Some specific things I would like some guidance on: (1) Items that I should be sure to bring/have around the house. Like cleaning supplies, etc, not furniture. I will be doing a lot of thinking/research before I move, but I would appreciate a comprehensive list of things I will need/may forget to buy. (2) A list of meals that can be learned/prepared relatively easily and inexpensively. I am certainly not on the foodie level of many of the members here, and I can barely grill a hamburger, so you are aware of how low of a level I am starting from. (3) Tips for dealing with various situations that I may not have encountered before in life, and may not know how to deal with if/when they occur when living on my own. (4) Any other tips/advice you may have for me. Thanks in advance for the help, and if you need to know any more info about myself, just ask.
smile.gif

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Incman
(1) Items that I should be sure to bring/have around the house. I will be doing a lot of thinking/research before I move, but I would appreciate a comprehensive list of things I will need/may forget to buy.

(2) A list of meals that can be learned/prepared relatively easily and inexpensively. I am certainly not on the foodie level of many of the members here, and I can barely grill a hamburger, so you are aware of how low of a level I am starting from.

(3) Tips for dealing with various situations that I may not have encountered before in life, and may not know how to deal with if/when they occur when living on my own.

(4) Any other tips/advice you may have for me.

Thanks in advance for the help, and if you need to know any more info about myself, just ask.
smile.gif

1) some of what you need may be where you move. Do whatever you can to lift your mattress off the ground, trust me on that. YOu will sleep cooler/better.

2) This. Could eat it weekly and not get tired of it.

3) be cool

4) offer to make drinks for roomies.

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
1) some of what you need may be where you move. Do whatever you can to lift your mattress off the ground, trust me on that. YOu will sleep cooler/better. 2) This. Could eat it weekly and not get tired of it. 3) be cool 4) offer to make drinks for roomies.
Thanks for the response
smile.gif
And in reference to number 4, there will be no roomies. But I will be sure to make plenty of drinks for myself.
laugh.gif

Zachgranstrom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Incman
Hey everyone. Due to family issues (which I will not bother getting into), I will be moving out on my own for the first time on September 1st. I am 18, currently finished 1 year of university and starting the second in September. I would like to tap into the SF hivemind for advice regarding all the new experiences I will face when living on my own. And in case it matters, I will be living alone, not with roommates.

Some specific things I would like some guidance on:

(1) Items that I should be sure to bring/have around the house. Like cleaning supplies, etc, not furniture. I will be doing a lot of thinking/research before I move, but I would appreciate a comprehensive list of things I will need/may forget to buy.

(2) A list of meals that can be learned/prepared relatively easily and inexpensively. I am certainly not on the foodie level of many of the members here, and I can barely grill a hamburger, so you are aware of how low of a level I am starting from.

(3) Tips for dealing with various situations that I may not have encountered before in life, and may not know how to deal with if/when they occur when living on my own.

(4) Any other tips/advice you may have for me.

Thanks in advance for the help, and if you need to know any more info about myself, just ask.
smile.gif

1. All-purpose cleaner,laundry detergent,bleach, floor cleaner and toilet-bowl cleaner.

2.http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-..._meals,FF.html

3. keep calm in any situation...

4. -Buy groceries at Asian markets( they tend to be cheaper)

-Always have ramen noodles on-hand.

- Be smart with finances.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Learn to make eggs and egg variations. Learn to cook oatmeal. Learn to roast a chicken. Buy cleaning supplies/paper towels/mops. Having these thins on hand all the time makes it much more likely that you will keep your place clean. By the same token, get a laundry hamper for the same reason.

I would advise you to rethink having a roomate(s), though. When young it can be a blast - no one your age expects you to live alone anyway, and it's nice to have someone to do stupid **** with and split costs on beer/internets/rent.

deantran

Reaction score
Frozen chicken breast, a bag of rice, and ground beef. Get a small george forman grill. That stuff comes in handy.

Milpool

Reaction score
1) toilet brush, plunger, toilet bowl cleaner, hard surface cleaner, scrub brush, mop, bucket. Nothing seems to disgust a woman faster (and thus ruin your chances of scoring) than a filthy bathroom.

2) tuna salad is pretty cheap and easy. you can load it up with crunchy veggies. eat lots of fresh fruit. get a stock pot with steamer insert. You can cook rice, pasta, etc and steam veggies at the same time. Learn to make good breakfast. . . eggs, pancakes, french toast, etc. It is good any time of day, and also, very cheap.

3) don't panic.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4) have a back up plan for paying for your rent...whatever income source you currently have may suddenly and unexpectedly die. I'm assuming that you're entering into a lease...Don't *************.

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
I would advise you to rethink having a roomate(s), though. When young it can be a blast - no one your age expects you to live alone anyway, and it's nice to have someone to do stupid **** with and split costs on beer/internets/rent.

Roommate is a definite no. I'm moving partially to leave a situation of loud, dirty and inconsiderate family members, so I'm not gonna risk having all the same issues with a roommate.

Originally Posted by slycedbred
4) have a back up plan for paying for your rent...whatever income source you currently have may suddenly and unexpectedly die. I'm assuming that you're entering into a lease...Don't *************.

I have a couple grand saved, I'll be working during school, I'll be taking out OSAP (student loan), as well as opening an education line of credit with my bank. For an 18 year old student, I'm very realistic and prudent with my finances. I'm not the "go out 4 nights a week on a credit card" type of student.

Thanks for the advice everyone, and keep it coming.

B Hamilton

Reaction score
tuna and chicken breasts are a godsend. condiments and some great bread will have you in good shape. Can't say enough about rice. Idk if the George Foreman is SF approved, but it makes life much easier, especially if you find yourself running out the door every morning like some people...
smile.gif

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things to get:

Microwave/toaster oven
Panini grill/George Foreman grill
Bath towels
409 and rags to wash wipe everything
Broom & dustpan
Mop
Window covering/blinds/curtains
Toilet seat
Shower curtain
A chair
Bed linen
A water purifier
Container to hold drinking water
Plunger
A scrubbing brush
Doormat

You can find simple meal ideas searching the web. When I did this all I had was a cookbook with simple recipes but it helped A LOT.

And remember: wall paint goes a long way

Do you have a place lined up? If so, tell us about it.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roomate can read break how your quality of life is depending on how you're wired as a person and how well other person meshes with you as a person. Plus, you can alway invite people over or go over to other people's places if you're looking to hang out. So, if family situation is in limbo and a major distraction mentally from the studies, perhaps like you said this is a ++ direction.

Buy simple/ cheap bare bones furniture first, then invest in more furniture decoration as you go along. You'll have a much better idea of the look, and feel for what works in your place later on. Look for hardly used ikea furniture for 1/2 price on craigslist. Beware of nasty smelling couches, they only get worse. Mattresses that are used are sketchy, maybe buy a stiffer bare bones mattress with good box springs. Then buy extra padding like a featherbed, ect for cheap to make it softer if you don't like a firm mattress.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also finished my first year and am living on my own (for the last 2 months so far).

Food: Eggs, brown rice, chicken, inexpensive white fish (tilipia), dark leafy salad greens are all cheap, nutritious, easy to make and flavorful.

General advice: Pinch like a motherfucker, you don't want to be out of a job and having to dip into your savings to live.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zachgranstrom

-Always have ramen noodles on-hand.

Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) encourages the growth of cancerous cells and fuels ones if they already exist.

For food: brown rice, oatmeal, nuts, peanut butter, cottage cheese, fruits/veggies, egg whites

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads