• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corduroy Suit? What do you think?

kraftar

Reaction score
I'm not sure I have the guts to try a corduroy suit, but this tread has definitely convinced me to try a sportcoat. Also, approximately how quickly would a corduroy jacket wear out compared to a wool jacket (assuming normal wear, 3-4 times a month, etc.)? If you did get a suit, would it make sense to go w/ 2 pair of pants (or even 3 if the pants wear out that quickly)?

hamish5178

Reaction score
Thouugh corduroy may wear quickly (particularly in areas that rub), I think a tattered cord suit would look much more appropriate than tattered anything else.

MrSmith2U

Reaction score
Sir,

Corduroy should be applauded in all its manifestations.

Yours,

Smith

PS. In my reckless youth, I had my father's cordwainer fashion a fetching pair Derbies from his late brother's rather recherchÃ
00a9.png
wardrobe. A former major-domo absconded with them.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone know where I could get a cord suit on the cheap? Now's about the time when fall stuff rolls out? What do you think the value of having one commissioned would be...I suppose if I do that I could have all the details I like, but I'll have to wait until next spring to have it made.

CordSuitFan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kraftar
I'm not sure I have the guts to try a corduroy suit, but this tread has definitely convinced me to try a sportcoat. Also, approximately how quickly would a corduroy jacket wear out compared to a wool jacket (assuming normal wear, 3-4 times a month, etc.)? If you did get a suit, would it make sense to go w/ 2 pair of pants (or even 3 if the pants wear out that quickly)?

Does it take guts to wear a corduroy suit, kraftar? If you want to I think you should.
cool.gif

My suit is 7 years old, gets frequent outings but still looks fresh. However, I do admit to being very careful with it because I want it to last!
laugh.gif

CordSuitFan

Reaction score
NewYorkRanger: The value of having a commissioned corduroy suit? I would say that having it fit you properly is the most important, followed by getting the colour and wale that you really want. Good luck if you decide to go down the bespoke corduroy suit route!
happy.gif

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
I think Slewfoot has a pretty suave looking corduroy suit.

Thanks! Funny you should mention as I was just about to post the photos. This fabric is Harrison's #5085 16oz. A few things I've noticed that potential buyers of corduroy fabric should know based on my experience:

1) It can shrink a decent amount after one starts wearing it just from body heat. It's a good idea to have your tailor steam it prior to having it made up to avoid this. I'm not sure if this is applicable to other cotton jacketing/suiting fabrics as well, but seems like it can't hurt.

2) It's best to get it made up looser than other suits especially around the elbows and knees. While I haven't seen it bag or fade yet, I can feel that the elbows and knees catch and stretch more than my other fabrics.

Just my $0.2.

Chan_PL_3-7-10005.jpg

Chan_PL_3-7-10007.jpg

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do I think? Not a lot!

They tend to rub/wear at each of the pressure points in a way a normal suit does not and can look dreadful, the darker the colour the worse it gets. If you are a Professor, you can get away with this - and many other things. However if your occupation is something else, many will simply view the garment, think it worn out and you a cheap skate for calling upon them in such an old rag.

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
Zegna's CashCo is really, really nice and has beautiful rich colors

maybe the tailors on SF can comment about the durability and quality of the fabric (it has a great hand)

Borrelli had a CashCo gunmetal gray sportcoat with brown leather patches under the elbows last year that was made of it and it was spectacular

I'm seriously thinking of having Chan do a matching sportcoat in it

081004_3.jpg

Be warned, the stuff doesn't come cheap.

CordSuitFan

Reaction score
Nice colours. I wish that jumbo corduroy jackets and trousers were easier to obtain but I am so pleased to see that others enjoy corduroy and I am not alone. Thanks for this forum and these messages. :)

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In the last year or so, I have come to the realization that I really don't like corduroy suits.

I have a bunch of Zegna cashco, in dark brown, that I will be using for trousers for the fall, if someone wants a few meters, PM me as I can probably get it for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads