• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Corduroy Suit? What do you think?

amerikajinda

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I was in Filene's after work today, and they had a few dark brown corduroy suits (by Zegna, Dunhill, etc.) priced at around $899.

What's your opinion of dark brown corduroy suits?

Should I get one for winter? And if so - what shoes should I wear with it? Brown suede oxfords like the Allen Edmonds Suede Hancock pictured below? And a matching brown suede belt? Or would that be too much brown going on?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love cord suits and jackets.

coachvu

Reaction score
I think corduroy suits look great, especially in dark brown. However, $900 seems pretty expensive for corduroy.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
I think corduroy suits look great, especially in dark brown. However, $900 seems pretty expensive for corduroy.

My tailor tells me really good quality corduroy (not the rubbish they use for cheap trousers) is hard to come by.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown belt and brown shoes with a brown suit is fine. However, the suit alone is likely to be too much brown (and too much corduroy) for the typical work environment. Likewise, suede with suede might be a bit much.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Cord suits: Go for it. All brown: Avoid. Maybe some black Chelsea boots and black belt to break it up nicely. Avoid striped shirts and ties considering how much vertical line corduroy has.

musigny

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what ties/shirts would you wear with a brown corduroy suit?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why brown? I think there are nicer colours for a corduroy suit.
Check http://sumisura.zegna.com/ - seasonal fabrics - cashco; isn't the first suit of the photogallery a nice corduroy one? I was thinking about ordering one, but the problem with a corduroy suit is that I fear that the trousers get worn out very rapidly.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently wore a corduroy suit and felt silly. I'm inclined to wear the jacket and trousers separately, but not together again.

rabbimark

Reaction score
whatever you do, don't join the Brown Team. Brown suit, shoes, belt ... it's just too much. Try spicing it up with black shoes and belt (great tip, Jovan) or a color combination I've come to love: brown with orange. I have this faconable orange/white large check patterned shirt and it goes great with brown linen pants.

$900 seems a lot for corduroy, imho. Cord is usually the cheapest fabric at the store in my experience, that and linen.

And while the Zegna pix forwarded by epa were great, I think with the roll-neck sweater one comes perilously close to the lecherous professor look (as exemplified by Donald Sutherland in "Animal House"). Avoid the suede elbow patches at all costs!

CordSuitFan

Reaction score
I have never been a follower of fashion and wear what I like without worrying too much about what others think. I have always thought good quality corduroy looks smart and is suitable for casual and smart occasions. For several years I thought about a 3 piece corduroy suit and eventually saved up enough money to have one tailor-made in 100% cotton corduroy. Seeing as it was going to be an expensive investment (about GBP 500) I decided to go for the full deal and get a 3 piece jumbo (4 wale) corduroy suit. That was about 7 years ago and it is still looking fresh and fabulous (to me, at least).
I got married in it and also wear it to the theatre and operas. It gets noticed but I have never experienced looks of disdain or mockery and it is so comfortable and warm in the winter. In fact, I look forward to the cooler weather and a special occasion to get my favourite suit out of its protective cover and feel it on my body. My preference is to wear a plain white shirt and matching green tie with dark brown shoes - Keeping the rest of the outfit plain is a must if you go for a 3 piece corduroy suit, especially if it is in jumbo / elephant cord.
My advice: If you like something and want to wear it, go for it. I'm far too old to conform or worry about what others think and dress for my own pleasure and comfort.
Get the 3 piece suit and enjoy it!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Reaction score
Excellent necropost.

I'm stuck with two suit lengths of JG Hardy cord that I wanted to have made up into cheap suits, but now, might be forced to have made up into not cheap suits.

:Fu:

- B

CordSuitFan

Reaction score
Thanks voxsartoria

Good luck with the "not so cheap" suits. What colours are the lengths of cord?
M

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.8%