• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greenfield on Gilt

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
The men's buying team all came from full price Saks and Barneys.

How long was your own high-end retail buying experience before you became a Gilt buyer? Candid question, since you bring it up.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A comparative original retail is not a "fake retail" price. Had these been done/made for a full-price account this is what they would have sold them at.

But they're not listing it as a comparative retail price at all; it clearly says "original price." It's worse than a fiction, it's completely disingenuous.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
But they're not listing it as a comparative retail price at all; it clearly says "original price." It's worse than a fiction, it's completely disingenuous.

+1

If SoCal is Fashion's Hayzus, where are the Romans/Jews when you need them.

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
You do realize that in the clothing business, Zegna is a major player, with many manufacturing facilities in many different countries, tons of models and warehouses full of inventory, etc..., right? So yes...very possible.

Fok.

All the more reason why it's marsupialed to buy nonreturnable tailored goods online. Even if you fit into a Zegna 42R suit, and every single Zegna 42R suit you've ever tried fits perfectly, Gilt might send you a "Zegna" suit with different dimensions, made in a different country, and with different details. And then you are SOL.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why no eyepatches?

confused.gif

- B

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The men's buying team all came from full price Saks and Barneys.

it is better that gilt had input.
Greenfield does not have a designer on staff.
Jay greenfield would have just cut up the leftovers under the cutting tables.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
You do realize that in the clothing business, Zegna is a major player, with many manufacturing facilities in many different countries, tons of models and warehouses full of inventory, etc..., right? So yes...very possible.

Fok.

Don't they also manufacture suits for other labels as well (Dunhill, for example)? I'm sure not all those labels demand the same detailing as Zegna puts on their own suiting, so perhaps Zegna had the suits left over from a run they made for another label, slapped their label on it and shipped them off to Gilt?

gopherblue

Reaction score
Just checked with Greenfield directly--they said they are not providing alteration services on the Gilt clothing, so order accordingly. Despite the great pricing on the trousers, I will be passing on this one.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the styling on the cotton suits - swelled edges, patch pockets, clean shape - but again can't even begin to consider clothes at that price with no refund.

sfnapolifan

Reaction score
i bought the zegna blazer, too (actually, i bought both of the ones offered in navy), and they were certainly ****. that shouldn't be all that surprising since most of what zegna makes is complete and utter ****--if they make anything decent, it's likely an accident. i've heard from a lot of salespeople that zegna has upped their game, modernized their cuts, etc. every time i try a piece on, my prejudice is validated--zegna sucks.

however, the credit wasn't the tragedy you're making it out to be. a couple of weeks later, they had a barbera sale, and that was the real deal. made in naples, so it might have been better than the real deal barbera collezione which these days tends to be made somewhere in northern italy--to a lower standard than what i purchased, as far as i'm concerned.

the isaia i've purchased at gilt is certainly not as good as what you'd find in stores, but that's solely a matter of the fabrics used--construction and styling are up to par.

these items are made in the same facilities and to the same general standards. that's what makes gilt different from an off-fifth, et al. manufacturers expanded capacity during the boom times and need to make the payments on their debt and would like to keep their employees working. gilt offers a number of advantages--guaranteed payment, consistent cash flow, no returned merchandise. and it does so without the disadvantages of selling mainline garments transparently at retail for discounted prices.

no, there is nothing private about the private sale. but, there is an obfuscation at work. the consumer has no idea how much merchandise is being sold during the sale. i don't know if greenfield is selling one suit or a hundred or a thousand. as far as the individual consumer is concerned, they are getting an exclusive deal on a mainline garment (yes, i realize there is no such thing as mainline greenfield). the manufacturer keeps the shop running while maintaining some semblance of exclusivity and maintaining some integrity for the retail channel.

as an added bonus, selling merchandise through gilt can create new customers for the full-price channel. i went to a barbera trunk show based on my experience on gilt--too bad the stuff on offer wasn't as good as what was being sold at a deep discount.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
Not long ago, I purchased a navy 2B Zegna blazer from Gilt. It was priced in the $500s, marked down from "$1650" or some such made-up, invented number.
"

Post the inner pocket label. The one with all the info.

jhva3

Reaction score
A comparative original retail is not a "fake retail" price. Had these been done/made for a full-price account this is what they would have sold them at.

Sorry, what definition of fake are you working with here? They were never sold at retail. They were never sold at that price. That price that they(you?) are purportedly marking them down from has never existed.

In no way does it say "comparative retail" either. It says "original price" and "retail." If that isn't illegal, it is sure as **** completely unethical. Do you know what original means? It doesn't mean "what these items would be sold for if they were made for a full-price account." These are items which went directly from the factory to an online store. How is the price Gilt is selling it for not the actual retail price?

Who are these full price accounts you are referring to? Are you saying that if they made suits of this quality for a designer brand that spent a fortune on advertising and also had a retail store, that they would be sold for this price? This fake or "comparative" retail price seems to be similar to what Rag and Bone charges for a suit. Until there is a Gilt-brand retail store that is selling these suits at these prices(no one would buy them) then that is a fake price.

They (you?) are selling pricey items on very limited information and they are unreturnable. They (you?) should seriously think about whether it is worthwhile to build some trust with your customers.

If someone tried to pull this bullshit on styleforum, they would be laughed off buyers and sellers. I dare you to try to and sell one of those made for gilt suits on B&S while stating the original price as whatever gilt says it is.

Like I've said before, I've gotten some good deals on Gilt, but I've also been burnt quite a few times. I spend a fortune on clothes, and I am more comfortable purchasing something from a stranger in another country on an online message board than buying something from Gilt.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
it is better that gilt had input.
Greenfield does not have a designer on staff.
Jay greenfield would have just cut up the leftovers under the cutting tables.

"Designer" is perhaps the wrong word, but my guess is that MG could put together a more flattering suit than the buyer at Gilt. Also I think there's a certain credibility to "We asked MG to make a classic suit then we shut up." As it stands, these suits look terribly dated.

Originally Posted by Baron
I like the styling on the cotton suits - swelled edges, patch pockets, clean shape - but again can't even begin to consider clothes at that price with no refund.

I think you're better off going to FSC. For a few hundred more they have a MG-made cotton suit they will alter to fit and tweak in whatever way (within reason) you desire.

lefty

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhva3

Like I've said before, I've gotten some good deals on Gilt, but I've also been burnt quite a few times. I spend a fortune on clothes, and I am more comfortable purchasing something from a stranger in another country on an online message board than buying something from Gilt.

Ditto.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads