1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Greenfield on Gilt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rdlrkl, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

The men's buying team all came from full price Saks and Barneys.

it is better that gilt had input.
    Greenfield does not have a designer on staff.
    Jay greenfield would have just cut up the leftovers under the cutting tables.

2. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Senior member

[​IMG]
    Why no eyepatches?

[​IMG]

- B

[​IMG]

3. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Senior member

You do realize that in the clothing business, Zegna is a major player, with many manufacturing facilities in many different countries, tons of models and warehouses full of inventory, etc..., right? So yes...very possible.

Fok.

Don't they also manufacture suits for other labels as well (Dunhill, for example)? I'm sure not all those labels demand the same detailing as Zegna puts on their own suiting, so perhaps Zegna had the suits left over from a run they made for another label, slapped their label on it and shipped them off to Gilt?

4. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

Just checked with Greenfield directly--they said they are not providing alteration services on the Gilt clothing, so order accordingly. Despite the great pricing on the trousers, I will be passing on this one.

5. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like the styling on the cotton suits - swelled edges, patch pockets, clean shape - but again can't even begin to consider clothes at that price with no refund.

6. sfnapolifan

sfnapolifan Well-Known Member

i bought the zegna blazer, too (actually, i bought both of the ones offered in navy), and they were certainly shit. that shouldn't be all that surprising since most of what zegna makes is complete and utter shit--if they make anything decent, it's likely an accident. i've heard from a lot of salespeople that zegna has upped their game, modernized their cuts, etc. every time i try a piece on, my prejudice is validated--zegna sucks.

however, the credit wasn't the tragedy you're making it out to be. a couple of weeks later, they had a barbera sale, and that was the real deal. made in naples, so it might have been better than the real deal barbera collezione which these days tends to be made somewhere in northern italy--to a lower standard than what i purchased, as far as i'm concerned.

the isaia i've purchased at gilt is certainly not as good as what you'd find in stores, but that's solely a matter of the fabrics used--construction and styling are up to par.

these items are made in the same facilities and to the same general standards. that's what makes gilt different from an off-fifth, et al. manufacturers expanded capacity during the boom times and need to make the payments on their debt and would like to keep their employees working. gilt offers a number of advantages--guaranteed payment, consistent cash flow, no returned merchandise. and it does so without the disadvantages of selling mainline garments transparently at retail for discounted prices.

no, there is nothing private about the private sale. but, there is an obfuscation at work. the consumer has no idea how much merchandise is being sold during the sale. i don't know if greenfield is selling one suit or a hundred or a thousand. as far as the individual consumer is concerned, they are getting an exclusive deal on a mainline garment (yes, i realize there is no such thing as mainline greenfield). the manufacturer keeps the shop running while maintaining some semblance of exclusivity and maintaining some integrity for the retail channel.

as an added bonus, selling merchandise through gilt can create new customers for the full-price channel. i went to a barbera trunk show based on my experience on gilt--too bad the stuff on offer wasn't as good as what was being sold at a deep discount.

7. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Not long ago, I purchased a navy 2B Zegna blazer from Gilt. It was priced in the $500s, marked down from "$1650" or some such made-up, invented number.
    "

Post the inner pocket label. The one with all the info.

8. jhva3

jhva3 Senior member

A comparative original retail is not a "fake retail" price. Had these been done/made for a full-price account this is what they would have sold them at.

Sorry, what definition of fake are you working with here? They were never sold at retail. They were never sold at that price. That price that they(you?) are purportedly marking them down from has never existed.

In no way does it say "comparative retail" either. It says "original price" and "retail." If that isn't illegal, it is sure as shit completely unethical. Do you know what original means? It doesn't mean "what these items would be sold for if they were made for a full-price account." These are items which went directly from the factory to an online store. How is the price Gilt is selling it for not the actual retail price?

Who are these full price accounts you are referring to? Are you saying that if they made suits of this quality for a designer brand that spent a fortune on advertising and also had a retail store, that they would be sold for this price? This fake or "comparative" retail price seems to be similar to what Rag and Bone charges for a suit. Until there is a Gilt-brand retail store that is selling these suits at these prices(no one would buy them) then that is a fake price.

They (you?) are selling pricey items on very limited information and they are unreturnable. They (you?) should seriously think about whether it is worthwhile to build some trust with your customers.

If someone tried to pull this bullshit on styleforum, they would be laughed off buyers and sellers. I dare you to try to and sell one of those made for gilt suits on B&S while stating the original price as whatever gilt says it is.

Like I've said before, I've gotten some good deals on Gilt, but I've also been burnt quite a few times. I spend a fortune on clothes, and I am more comfortable purchasing something from a stranger in another country on an online message board than buying something from Gilt.

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

it is better that gilt had input.
    Greenfield does not have a designer on staff.
    Jay greenfield would have just cut up the leftovers under the cutting tables.

"Designer" is perhaps the wrong word, but my guess is that MG could put together a more flattering suit than the buyer at Gilt. Also I think there's a certain credibility to "We asked MG to make a classic suit then we shut up." As it stands, these suits look terribly dated.

I like the styling on the cotton suits - swelled edges, patch pockets, clean shape - but again can't even begin to consider clothes at that price with no refund.

I think you're better off going to FSC. For a few hundred more they have a MG-made cotton suit they will alter to fit and tweak in whatever way (within reason) you desire.

lefty

10. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Like I've said before, I've gotten some good deals on Gilt, but I've also been burnt quite a few times. I spend a fortune on clothes, and I am more comfortable purchasing something from a stranger in another country on an online message board than buying something from Gilt.

Ditto.

11. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

definitely.
    i would be scared to pay 1000 dollars for a blazer that you think youre getting and only to find out you have to return it for credit. credit you'll be hardpressed to find to spend on anything for the following months to come. eventually, you'll succumb to just picking up random items here and there just to use the credit.

Or you can sell it sho'nuff with a 20%-30% discount like I usually have to do. [​IMG]

I want to get the blazer, but I don't want to get stuck with the credit.

12. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

How long was your own high-end retail buying experience before you became a Gilt buyer? Candid question, since you bring it up.

8-ish years [​IMG]

13. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

But they're not listing it as a comparative retail price at all; it clearly says "original price." It's worse than a fiction, it's completely disingenuous.
    Disingenuous = standard retail practice So if Brand X has an order for store Y and store Y goes out of business 3 weeks before they deliver the order and they sell it off to us what does Gilt put as the MSRP price "If The Store Didn't Close and Had a Chance to Sell This It Would Be $____"?

14. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

the isaia i've purchased at gilt is certainly not as good as what you'd find in stores, but that's solely a matter of the fabrics used--construction and styling are up to par.

Really? Most of the Isaia sold on Gilt had to have the Saks/Neiman Marcus tags removed from them before they were shipped to customers.

15. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Sorry, what definition of fake are you working with here? They were never sold at retail. They were never sold at that price. That price that they(you?) are purportedly marking them down from has never existed. In no way does it say "comparative retail" either. It says "original price" and "retail." If that isn't illegal, it is sure as shit completely unethical. Do you know what original means? It doesn't mean "what these items would be sold for if they were made for a full-price account." These are items which went directly from the factory to an online store. How is the price Gilt is selling it for not the actual retail price? Who are these full price accounts you are referring to? Are you saying that if they made suits of this quality for a designer brand that spent a fortune on advertising and also had a retail store, that they would be sold for this price? This fake or "comparative" retail price seems to be similar to what Rag and Bone charges for a suit. Until there is a Gilt-brand retail store that is selling these suits at these prices(no one would buy them) then that is a fake price. They (you?) are selling pricey items on very limited information and they are unreturnable. They (you?) should seriously think about whether it is worthwhile to build some trust with your customers. If someone tried to pull this bullshit on styleforum, they would be laughed off buyers and sellers. I dare you to try to and sell one of those made for gilt suits on B&S while stating the original price as whatever gilt says it is. Like I've said before, I've gotten some good deals on Gilt, but I've also been burnt quite a few times. I spend a fortune on clothes, and I am more comfortable purchasing something from a stranger in another country on an online message board than buying something from Gilt.
    Are you buying because something says X% off or because you are buying it for $Y and you see it valued at what you want to pay?

16. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

8-ish years [​IMG]
    That's a decent experience. I did not realize one high end retail stores had 16 year old buyers.

17. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Disingenuous = standard retail practice

So if Brand X has an order for store Y and store Y goes out of business 3 weeks before they deliver the order and they sell it off to us what does Gilt put as the MSRP price "If The Store Didn't Close and Had a Chance to Sell This It Would Be $____"?

With the MGxGilt stuff, none of it was ever meant to be sold at retail anywhere.

It may well be comparable to stuff sold at retail for that price, but, in this case, the 'original price' is a fiction.

There are more straightforward words that other discounters use: 'compare to' for example.

18. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Senior member

Otto, I generally enjoy your posts, but you're an idiot.

there are worse fates than being an enjoyable idiot [​IMG]

you are right. sorry for my rant. but i stand by my view that you are arriving at lots of possibly unwarranted conclusions based on one incident without real facts, and then using that house of cards to launch a broad condemnation of a company that is a clearing-house for hundreds of brands and thousands of products that range from great to, admittedly, meh. there are lots of opportunities to step into the doodoo with gilt, and plenty of good things to be picked up as well.

(BTW, don't you think that if gilt had commissioned zegna to make a line specially for them, they'd be crowing from every rooftop about it? the reality is much more likely that zegna just made a bunch of crap blazers, they didn't sell, and they dumped them on gilt. simpler explanations are generally more likely to be true than complicated conspiracy theories.)

more generally, gilt-bashing is kind of yesterday's news - let's move on guys.

19. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

I'm I too late for the sale?

- B

20. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

I'm I too late for the sale?

- B

They sold out of your size, which they never had to begin with.