• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool for Brits to speak American - How about the reverse?

blackjack

Reaction score
When I met a Jewish kid from Indiana speaking with an affected British accent (actually it sounded like a mishmash of Kiwi/Oz) and accompanying terminology, it just sounded fake and creepy. He obviously had issues.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackjack
When I met a Jewish kid from Indiana speaking with an affected British accent (actually it sounded like a mishmash of Kiwi/Oz) and accompanying terminology, it just sounded fake and creepy. He obviously had issues.

He was using the affectation to mask his insecurity about his monoball.

ZhiMingBuFanDe

Reaction score
I have always been fond of British spellings.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldarchon
we say uber a lot ..

laugh.gif

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
The only person in America who actually tries to look or sound British is Jetblast. I think that answers your question.

I have spent many years cultivating my online Australian persona
laugh.gif

cimabue

Reaction score
"At the end of the day."

"shuttered" for shut.

"cheers"

"bloody"

"shite"

ending a declarative sentence with "yeah?"

"wank/wanker"

"bollocks"

"snarky"

"smarmy"

These are strong gainers Stateside.

I'm sure there are more, "for ****'s sake".

Mark it 8

Reaction score
Years ago I had a prick roommate in LA who insisted on calling me his "flatmate" and referring to our shitbox apartment as his "flat." Soon after he began dating a Jewish girl, he started to greet everyone with "Shalom."
laugh.gif

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually use "summat" and "Bob's your uncle" in written and spoken language respectively. I also use little syntactical quirks like "the gift that was given me". I don't use them because they're British, I use them because I like them.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noice.

closetmess

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
Not sure about the US, but my part of Canada "Cheers" is the go to salutation for "hip/cool" kids.

Speak for yourself. I shudder every time someone says that. I even found it in my lexicon a few years back and had to undergo Clockwork Orange style "learning" to rid myself of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads