Cool for Brits to speak American - How about the reverse?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lear, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Lear

Lear Senior member

American speak has made its way into every facet of British life. Things are now 'cool', people are 'guys', children are 'kids' and really hip people (like me) are 'dudes'. All lovely. This is actually how I speak. In fact, I'm know in these parts of the UK as Lear from the block.

So, it got me thinking... does the same happen in reverse? Do American citizens do British speak? I wonder if there are crack dealers in LA saying, "I appear to have not sufficient funds about my person with which to procure said wrap". Are the really cool dudes wooing the girls with British phrases; the educated masses impressing with their use of British spelling?

Lear (in the hood)

2. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

3. coldarchon

coldarchon Senior member

we say uber a lot ..

4. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

It is not cool for Americans to speak English. [​IMG]

5. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

we say uber a lot ..

No we don't. Stop making us look bad.

6. unjung

unjung Senior member

I like to call girls "birds" and at one point used a lot of drum and bass emcee-speak, but this made me less, not more, cool.

7. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

For about five months after the first Austin Powers movie, yes.

8. Casey

Casey Senior member

No, but it seems like girls love British accents in general.

9. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

The "American" words of which you speak are more cultural affectations that originated in America.

We don't say Freeway or Sidewalk which are genuine lexicographic divergences, we simply have a youth who conform to and propagate the new linguistic trends. If Americans wear their trousers around their backsides, it doesn't make the use of a belt an English trait.

10. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

we say uber a lot ..

You're American!?!

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

American speak has made its way into every facet of British life. Things are now 'cool', people are 'guys', children are 'kids' and really hip people (like me) are 'dudes'. All lovely. This is actually how I speak. In fact, I'm know in these parts of the UK as Lear from the block.

So, it got me thinking... does the same happen in reverse? Do American citizens do British speak? I wonder if there are crack dealers in LA saying, "I appear to have not sufficient funds about my person with which to procure said wrap". Are the really cool dudes wooing the girls with British phrases; the educated masses impressing with their use of British spelling?

Lear (in the hood)

I'm sorely tempted to sig that gem.

12. Lear

Lear Senior member

The "American" words of which you speak are more cultural affectations that originated in America. We don't say Freeway or Sidewalk which are genuine lexicographic divergences, we simply have a youth who conform to and propagate the new linguistic trends. If Americans wear their trousers around their backsides, it doesn't make the use of a belt an English trait.
    Nicely put Bro [​IMG]

13. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

"Cunt" as a casual swear word, which has been popular in the UK for many years, has recently become more popular in the US. For the longest time it was extraordinarily taboo here. It was tantamount to the n-word and other racial slurs in terms of the most vicious words available in the American lexicon.

These days, unless the word is directed at a woman, it's become pretty widespread. I don't know whether to credit the UK with that influence, but I do imagine it has something to do with all the Guy Ritchie films and whatnot that brought UK swear words over here.

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

The only person in America who actually tries to look or sound British is Jetblast. I think that answers your question.

15. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

Not sure about the US, but my part of Canada "Cheers" is the go to salutation for "hip/cool" kids.