• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chromexcel?

NHorween

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
The thing is...and make no mistake I think it is a fine leather...is that chromexel is an "oil stuffed" leather. What does that mean? Abandon all hope of a high shine...or even more than a gleam.

Chromexcel won't take a shine like shell, but it shines up pretty well.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NHorween

Boy, that table demonstrates a big commitment to the love of craft. I'm envious
smile.gif

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nick, Well, I'll be! That is indeed a respectable shine. The swatches you fellers have sent me over the years were all oil stuffed and did not have that hard a finish on the grainside. So I take it all back...you heard it from the source. Thanks Nick.

bbhewee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
So why don't we (or at least I) see leather goods, especially shoes, from kangaroos? Is it that it doesn't finish/present as well? I'm just curious.

Kangaroo leather is used mostly in high-end football and rugby boots. Used to have a pair of Canterbury cleats when I was playing, and they were the best boots I'd ever owned... A quick clean would do the job, they wouldn't get scuffed too badly compared to my Adidas, incredibly soft.
But it isn't the prettiest leather in my opinion: very irregular, marked creasing... Probably some of the reasons why it isn't used in day-to-day shoes.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbhewee
Kangaroo leather is used mostly in high-end football and rugby boots. Used to have a pair of Canterbury cleats when I was playing, and they were the best boots I'd ever owned... A quick clean would do the job, they wouldn't get scuffed too badly compared to my Adidas, incredibly soft. But it isn't the prettiest leather in my opinion: very irregular, marked creasing... Probably some of the reasons why it isn't used in day-to-day shoes.
I don't think that's necessarily true. I suspect it depends on how it is tanned and, more importantly, finished. Some kangaroo is as fine grained and clear as the best calf. It will crease no more nor less than calf in similar weights. At least, that's been my experience with what I have access to.

NHorween

Reaction score
Well, I'll be! That is indeed a respectable shine. The swatches you fellers have sent me over the years were all oil stuffed and did not have that hard a finish on the grainside.

It takes a little bit of coaxing, but that's part of the fun, right?

The color 8 chukka is shell and the brown whole cut is Chromexcel - I failed to mention!

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
Well alrighty then, I will be doing some future shine coaxing! I confess that I am looking forward to receiving the chromexel NST's that I have on order. Thanks Nick.

kraftar

Reaction score
Thanks again everybody for all the information! Do chromexcel shoes need any special care? Should I treat them more like cordovan (some cleaning and not alot of polish) or more like calf (more polish)?

bbhewee

Reaction score
I don't think that's necessarily true. I suspect it depends on how it is tanned and, more importantly, finished. Some kangaroo is as fine grained and clear as the best calf. It will crease no more nor less than calf in similar weights. At least, that's been my experience with what I have access to.

You're most probably right... I was talking out of experience (my @$$?).
laugh.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kraftar
Thanks again everybody for all the information! Do chromexcel shoes need any special care? Should I treat them more like cordovan (some cleaning and not alot of polish) or more like calf (more polish)?

I don't personally own anything in the leather, but a good friend of mine just uses Renovatuer on it and buffs. It shines up nicely. Just from the feel and such if you were to use wax only a little bit would do, or else it will kind of sit on top and get smeary I would think. So I guess, yeah, more like Shell...

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nick,

Well, I'll be! That is indeed a respectable shine. The swatches you fellers have sent me over the years were all oil stuffed and did not have that hard a finish on the grainside.

So I take it all back...you heard it from the source.

Thanks Nick.

It takes a little bit of coaxing, but that's part of the fun, right?

My limited experience with Chromexcel (2 pairs of Red Wing GTs) is that is does take a shine quite well, even a mirror shine!. I covered some scuffs on my boots a while back and just for the hell of it, added a mirror shine to the top of the toebox. It was actually pretty easy to work the wax into the pores.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little google brings up some nasty things about neatsfoot oil, esp. about it being bad (because of its pH) for stitching. I'm not inspired to buy the stuff, much less treat my new chromoexcel Aldens with the stuff.

Patrick said he knows someone who treats it with Renovateur? Any reason not to do this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads