1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

chromexcel?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kraftar, Jul 9, 2010.

1. rexzors21

rexzors21 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, sorry for bumping this thread again, but would it be fine to use Obenaufs Leather Protector for chromexcel? Or does chromexcel require something more specific? Thanks guys.

2. Taka

Taka Member

+1,
    personally I'm a sucker for oxblood color
    chromexcel products

3. jfoonly

jfoonly Well-Known Member

4. Taka

Taka Member

Neatsfoot oil works wonders

5. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

I bought a pair of Wolverine 1K made with #8 color chromexcel at the same time I bought a pair of black Iron Rangers.

I've worn them to work the same number of days, roughly. The wolverines look pretty beat up, they show a lot of scuffs.

The iron rangers don't look like they've taken any punishment at all.

the LOOK of the chromexcel doesn't concern me, the scratches seem like they will buff out, and I don't intend on trying to keep them looking like they are new, but what concerns me is that I ride a motorcycle, and my last pair of boots lasted 5 years before a hole was worn on the top of the left boot from the motorcycle shifter.

I'm a little concerned that the chromexcel won't hold up to as many abrasion cycles as the leather on the red wings.

Can anyone either confirm this, or reassure me that chromexcel is as abrasion resistant as whatever leather red wing used on the iron rangers?

6. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Active Member

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but does Chromexcel breathe well? How would you compare it to calfskin? I'm considering casual to semi-dressy footwear, mostly barefoot, for summer.

7. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

What do you mean by semi-dressy? I would suggest suede if possible.

8. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Active Member

cocktail parties @ beach houses, nantucket restaurants, that sort of thing.

Why suede?

9. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Breathes well, much better than chromexcel and is much lighter. I don't know if this is your style, but if you summer on Nantucket, suede bucks will fit right in. I suggest the Alden ones with flex sole.

10. LeMaitreChat

LeMaitreChat Senior member

This is a good suggestion. I will say though that I have a pair of Quoddy boat shoes in CXL that are perfect for summer/beach wear and as comfortable as slippers.

11. suginami

suginami Member

PULL-UP - a characteristic of high-quality full-grain leathers where there is a temporary lightening of color when pressure is applied. This is due to the natural oil and wax in the hide moving around. - See more at: http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/leathers#sthash.FscGjlxJ.dpuf

12. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

More oil than wax.

13. mjhunton

mjhunton New Member

Hi. I have a pair of alden natural chromexcel shoes - curious what wax you used for your natural leather boots? I am trying to get some scuffs out etc...I have the saphir renovateur conditioner...was curious if you used anything else to clean and condition.

14. aDrummingDude

aDrummingDude Senior member

My limited experience with Chromexcel (I have a pair of black chromexel Oak Street trench boots) finds me not liking it very much. It scuffs easily, and is hard-to-impossible to buff those scuffs out. Yes, it is very supple leather, but I have other shoes with soft leather (Gucci, Bruno Magli) which are easier to care for.

My preference is for shell, or tougher calf leathers. I'd say that my shell Alden boots are probably the easies to care for, closely followed by 2 pairs of calf Ferragamo, all of which don't attract many scuffs to begin with.

Chromexcel just isn't for me. I'll admit that I don't "get" why it's so popular right now.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  15. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I think many would argue that as a more rugged leather, you should embrace those scuffs. Maybe it's less that it's easy to care and more that it looks good when it's not babied?