• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just picked up my new MTM suits... critique if you like

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rada
I'm currently living in Asia and decided to get some suits made. These are my first MTM/Custom suits. The quality isn't that great but for two 3 piece suits and 2 shirts coming to the grand total of $500 I won't complain. And don't mind the hair, it's a bit humid today! and, yes, I know I need pocket squares
smile.gif
4779385726_d3d3580010_b.jpg
4779386202_dd1aa8fd8e_b.jpg
4778752617_332c0160e6_b.jpg

Lovely!!!!
worship.gif
The cufflinks take it to the top!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do the trousers have back pockets as well that you plan to use regularly?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think they look real cool, and I'm sure what you were after. I don't think they look like a standard men's suit 1. because the overall fit is very TaT with an elongated jacket and 2. the pants have that feminine curve at the hips. So its like a woman's suit with some men's features.

As far as the tightness goes, I agree that a woman can get away and look better with the fitted look than men, and in fact I find no small coincidence in the fact that the style for men was to wear fitted suits while men's grooming habits also became more feminine (waxed eyebrows and chests). I think some of the backlash that we've seen on this site (how many threads can you have on pull?) is the fact that many of our posters are overtly masculine, or try to be overtly masculine in how they dress. Hope that makes sense.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Surprised there aren't more "The 'X' indicates its too tight in the chest" B/c she's a girl?
Because it's a suit for woman, supposed to be tighter.

brittain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
That is my point. They just look like you are wearing a mens suit. They are not cut or shaped like a womens suit. Wondered if that is what you wanted or just what you ended up with.

other than buttoning from the other side, how is a woman's buttonhole cut and shaped differently from a man's?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprised there aren't more "The 'X' indicates its too tight in the chest" B/c she's a girl?
I think a lot of the 'pulling' is because of the lack of bust darts, but adding bust darts would go against the 'mens suit' look she is going for.
Originally Posted by brittain
other than buttoning from the other side, how is a woman's buttonhole cut and shaped differently from a man's?
Eh? The buttonholes aren't cut any different, he's talking about the cut of the suits...

Iceball

Reaction score
$500 wow! That's a great deal.
Trouser fit looks excellent, for the jacket I agree the arms look a little tight but if you've got enough movement for you to be happy with then I wouldn't worry too much.

I particularly like the white / ivory suit, which works well with your skin and hair colour, I think.

It would be interesting to see the double breasted ones when they are ready, I think those can look particularly good on women.

Rada

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I'm so confused

I lol'd
smile.gif

Originally Posted by GBR
Do the trousers have back pockets as well that you plan to use regularly?

the cream suit does not... all my others do

Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I think they look real cool, and I'm sure what you were after. I don't think they look like a standard men's suit 1. because the overall fit is very TaT with an elongated jacket and 2. the pants have that feminine curve at the hips. So its like a woman's suit with some men's features.

As far as the tightness goes, I agree that a woman can get away and look better with the fitted look than men, and in fact I find no small coincidence in the fact that the style for men was to wear fitted suits while men's grooming habits also became more feminine (waxed eyebrows and chests). I think some of the backlash that we've seen on this site (how many threads can you have on pull?) is the fact that many of our posters are overtly masculine, or try to be overtly masculine in how they dress. Hope that makes sense.

thank you... the 'tightness' was necessary for me. 1 I really love the way it looks (Tom Ford, etc...) 2 it would look VERY silly for a girl to walk around in some of the more full suits that men here wear.

Originally Posted by StarterStyle
Absolutely beautiful.

The suits are pretty awesome, too!

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by clee1982
looks good, and something new to SF.

thank you, I hope to post here regularly

Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Looks really good, especially since it appears there is no bust darts?

No bust darts...

Originally Posted by George
I like your look, Rada. Enjoy your new suits.

thank you...

Surprised there aren't more "The 'X' indicates its too tight in the chest"
B/c she's a girl?

I think so... I wanted it especially snug (but not so much that I'm uncomfortable. I enjoy menswear but I don't want to look like a man... I have a more androgynous look and the fact that I have breast and hips (no matter how slight!) make it impossible for me to get a 'true' man's fit.

Originally Posted by edmorel
pants seem to fit real nice, are the shoulders a bit more extended than they need to be? Hard to tell in pics. Sleeves do look a smidgen tight.

No, I have swimmer/boxer shoulders... they are very straight. When I first put the suit on I felt the shoulders may have needed to be extended more
plain.gif

Originally Posted by brittain

I know nothing about women's suits
confused.gif

Thank you everyone for your input, I can definitely see how many here would find it too snug and the X factor that applies to true menswear could be applied here. I just fear that letting it out more would cause a frumpier look.

I love menswear, but I have to be realistic to the fact that I don't have a true men's form and I have no desire to be mistaken for a man. I really enjoy the more form fitting suits that more men are wearing (the style that gets bashed a lot here
smile.gif
) and that's what I was going for.

Again, I appreciate all the input

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads