• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Veal

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not really a huge fan of veal, unless it is a veal chop. Scalloppine (sp?) of veal does very little for me. However, I probably have never eaten particularly good veal.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I'm not really a huge fan of veal, unless it is a veal chop. Scalloppine (sp?) of veal does very little for me. However, I probably have never eaten particularly good veal.
Veal piccatta (when done correctly) is one of the great culinary pleasures in this world. Veal Parm is slightly better than chicken or eggplant parm, but with all that other stuff going on, it's really not a big deal. You just can't do chicken piccatta and expect it to be nearly as good as veal. RE: Chops, I really miss the Sicilian veal chop they did @ Morton's .. they took it off the menu about 5 years ago
frown.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like a grilled chop but I can't think of a better way to enjoy veal than a blanquette de veau or an osso bucco. A well prepared osso bucco is f'ing awesome.

I don't get all the veal scallopine with various sauces that are served in red sauce joints in America, but I do love a great milanese, especially when still on the bone.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ah, well, of course yes I forgot osso bucco, which is one of life's greatest culinary pleasures. thanks for the reminder.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I like a grilled chop but I can't think of a better way to enjoy veal than a blanquette de veau or an osso bucco. A well prepared osso bucco is f'ing awesome.
+1000 G - are you a fan of tete de veaux? I think sweetbreads and osso bucco are my absolute favorite way to enjoy veal - but I was responding to the post about scallopini first

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron - I'm actually not a fan of heads at all. I like some offal (liver, sweetbreads) but I really dislike the ones with cartilage or strange textures in it (pig ears, feet, fromage de tete, etc...).

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coonky
Food for thought: How much suffering are you willing to induce just to have something tasty in your mouth?
Do you eat lamb? Love blanquette, milanese...

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Do you eat lamb? Love blanquette, milanese...
Don't forget Saltimbocca

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coonky
Food for thought: How much suffering are you willing to induce just to have something tasty in your mouth?

As long as I'm not the one inflicting the suffering directly, wayyyyy more than is mind safe.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
As long as I'm not the one inflicting the suffering directly, wayyyyy more than is mind safe.
Everyone should read Keller's vignette on rabbit in TFL cookbook.

bBoy JEe

Reaction score
I get why you might argue against foie gras... which by the way is a lot less inhumane than tree huggers think (i.e. geese have throat muscles which goes only one way, hence no gag reflex) but veal... what suffering is being inflicted? They are milk fed, which is completely natural, and then killed... The killing is done more or less instanteousnly since stressed meat doesn't taste good. So... what's your point?

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bBoy JEe
I get why you might argue against foie gras... which by the way is a lot less inhumane than tree huggers think (i.e. geese have throat muscles which goes only one way, hence no gag reflex) but veal... what suffering is being inflicted? They are milk fed, which is completely natural, and then killed... The killing is done more or less instanteousnly since stressed meat doesn't taste good. So... what's your point?
Why is someone who is considerate of the lives of animals a "tree hugger"? Two videos were posted on the first page of the process. The fairytale farm you mentioned does not exist. If you think foie gras is only inhumane for the tube being shoved down their throat, again you must have not seen the process. It isn't that simple.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
Why is someone who is considerate of the lives of animals a "tree hugger"? Two videos were posted on the first page of the process. The fairytale farm you mentioned does not exist.
Why can't you be considerate about my life. I would be in pain without veal.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bBoy JEe

The prized light colour of veal is caused by anemie which is caused by under feeding the calves.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
Why is someone who is considerate of the lives of animals a "tree hugger"? Two videos were posted on the first page of the process. The fairytale farm you mentioned does not exist. If you think foie gras is only inhumane for the tube being shoved down their throat, again you must have not seen the process. It isn't that simple.
I only watched the first video - they said in the first 3 seconds that the facility was closed down as a result of this investigation - hence, regulations dictate this type of treatment is inhumane and not allowed by the USDA - do exceptions exist? yes. Can all of them be stopped? no. That does not mean farms that treat animals humanely are a fairytale. If you choose to be a vegetarian because of your consideration for animals - that's fine. As humans, we have free will, and can make choices based on our own personal conscience. THat we have agreed to some social norms and have derived a collective baseline conscience is somewhat useful in many cases, but it is (by definition) limiting to individual liberty and should therefore be met with some level of fear and caution; i.e. I respect your decision, you should respect mine. If you look at the rest of nature, and the way that many animals hunt and kill their prey, you will see plenty of "inhumane" acts... many of them making modern agriculture look quite nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads