• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

illumin8em

Reaction score
Is there no J.crew/Alden Indy love? Using the search function didn't give much talk. I am retuning a pair of J.Crew Iron Rangers and will have $298 store credit that I need to spend and realised that with a student discount I am only about $80 away from the Indys. It is probably the only chance I will have to afford a pair of Aldens so I am really thinking of doing it.

Kinda worried about the leather choice. I wear boots pretty hard

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the J Crew Indy, I like the unique heel stitching on them and they look great in person. I say go for it.

Islander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by illumin8em
Is there no J.crew/Alden Indy love? Using the search function didn't give much talk. I am retuning a pair of J.Crew Iron Rangers and will have $298 store credit that I need to spend and realised that with a student discount I am only about $80 away from the Indys. It is probably the only chance I will have to afford a pair of Aldens so I am really thinking of doing it.

They get plenty of love, they're just less exclusive than shell cordovan. Buy them, they are good boots and will last you a long time. I wish I had bought some when I was a student.

The JCrew version came out with a leather lining and darker Horween Chromexcel when the standard Indy 405 still had a cotton duck lining and waxed red calfskin. Early this year Alden released the 403 which is pretty much identical to the JCrew boot.

You wouldn't know it from the amount of style/fashion mag attention they receive but they are work boots so go ahead and wear 'em hard. They are also "somewhat of a fashion item" and you can sell them on EBay for 90% of what you pay if you change your mind.

rick

Reaction score

i have them and love them, as everyone said go for it.

rick

Reaction score

P.S half size down from what you wear. if you are an 11 get a 10.5

saracen

Reaction score
I'm starting to lose my faith in Alden. I received my Ravello wingtip boot from Shoe Mart and the right shoe is about 4mm longer than the left (basically a half size). I was wondering why they fit different. Same serial number and size on shoe. I also noticed something similar at the DC Alden store. Had them order a 11.5c from the SF store, which was longer than an 11.5D. I think it was a mismarked 12C. And then I've seen so many flaws (small ones, but nevertheless). I might try one more time with the color 8 wingtip boot, but I've spent so much in shipping shoes back already.
frown.gif

rick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by saracen
I'm starting to lose my faith in Alden. I received my Ravello wingtip boot from Shoe Mart and the right shoe is about 4mm longer than the left (basically a half size). I was wondering why they fit different. Same serial number and size on shoe. I also noticed something similar at the DC Alden store. Had them order a 11.5c from the SF store, which was longer than an 11.5D. I think it was a mismarked 12C. And then I've seen so many flaws (small ones, but nevertheless). I might try one more time with the color 8 wingtip boot, but I've spent so much in shipping shoes back already.
frown.gif

sorry to hear that, i have had only one minor problem with all my aldens, so i have been lucky. they are made by people and i guess the people are making mistakes. all that said i love the boots and shoes the designs are great and they fit me well.

saracen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rick
sorry to hear that, i have had only one minor problem with all my aldens, so i have been lucky. they are made by people and i guess the people are making mistakes. all that said i love the boots and shoes the designs are great and they fit me well.

I agree. They're made by people. Even then, I think all my shoes are made by people (not robots or machines). Maybe some companies use more automated machines but there's always the human fac tor. I just don't get how one shoe can be half a size larger. Seems odd. I loved the boots and would've kept them had it not been for that issue. I'm going to try the color 8 wingtip boots (since they don't have another pair in my size in the Ravello). Maybe I'll just tan the color 8s in the sun for a while.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. They're made by people. Even then, I think all my shoes are made by people (not robots or machines). Maybe some companies use more automated machines but there's always the human fac tor. I just don't get how one shoe can be half a size larger. Seems odd. I loved the boots and would've kept them had it not been for that issue. I'm going to try the color 8 wingtip boots (since they don't have another pair in my size in the Ravello). Maybe I'll just tan the color 8s in the sun for a while.

I have the same problem with a pair of #8 longwings- the left shoe is a smidge larger than the right, although not a whole half size. This resulted in some heel lift that I haven't seen in other Aldens of the same size and on the same last.

Love the shoes, but was quite irritated by this, especially since I sent them back to Alden, and they claimed there was no issue. I have a tongue pad in there now, and it fits okay. It hasn't stopped me from buying more Aldens, but it does cause one to think that Alden is slipping a bit.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the problem with people judging size on sole measurements. The length of the sole has nothing to do with the fit of the shoes. If one sole is not trimmed down th same as the other, they are still on the same last. The internal dimensions will match. Who cares if one sole is slightly longer than the other?

If they fit differently, either one is mislabeled or your feet are different sizes.

saracen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
This is the problem with people judging size on sole measurements. The length of the sole has nothing to do with the fit of the shoes. If one sole is not trimmed down th same as the other, they are still on the same last. The internal dimensions will match. Who cares if one sole is slightly longer than the other? If they fit differently, either one is mislabeled or your feet are different sizes.
Actually, the problem is with folks like you 'assuming' things. I never said the word 'sole'. The entire shoe is 4mm longer! I'm aware that it could be just the sole and therefore looked at that closely. Side by side you can see that the sole is actually the same distance out from the welt and also the toebox ends short on the left shoe. I'm well aware of how my feet are (as far as length or volume). I've actually owned shoes before. And as a matter of fact the left should fit a tiny bit looser, but it's actually tighter on my foot and I can feel pressure on my toe. This is what prompted me to investigate further. As far as being on the same last, I think they're not. If it's a mismarked pair then that's not an 'excuse' either. Bottom line is 'something' is wrong with the pair. I find it interesting how folks are so defensive when someone brings anything negative up. I'm merely mentioning facts here. Anyway, I'm not gonna try to get into it in a forum over this. These are my experiences and that's all I'm posting.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, the problem is with folks like you 'assuming' things. I never said the word 'sole'. The entire shoe is 4mm longer! I'm aware that it could be just the sole and therefore looked at that closely. Side by side you can see that the sole is actually the same distance out from the welt and also the toebox ends short on the left shoe. I'm well aware of how my feet are (as far as length or volume). I've actually owned shoes before. And as a matter of fact the left should fit a tiny bit looser, but it's actually tighter on my foot and I can feel pressure on my toe. This is what prompted me to investigate further. As far as being on the same last, I think they're not. If it's a mismarked pair then that's not an 'excuse' either. Bottom line is 'something' is wrong with the pair. I find it interesting how folks are so defensive when someone brings anything negative up. I'm merely mentioning facts here. Anyway, I'm not gonna try to get into it in a forum over this. These are my experiences and that's all I'm posting.
Chill out. Send them back, and quit crying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads