• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jakejake
Suggestions for something similar to the one below? These are Raybans but I don't like the logo on the frames.

http://www.coolframes.com/get_image....olor=2367&alt=

There are lots and lots of frames that have that look now. You can find it in almost any brand. If you walk into a shop and ask them for it, they should be able to provide you with a few options.

Tigris

Reaction score
Hi CityConnection, I was wondering if you could ID this pair of eyeglasses for me. I believe they are ray bans but I don't know whether they are 1) 5184 2) 5121 ...or possibly another model?
joe-jonas-300x400.jpg
joe-jonas-glasses.jpg
jjonas020210_22-full.jpg

jakejake

Reaction score
1. My Rx reads 6.25/7. What type of lens works best for me?

2. Thoughts on Rayban and Oakley prescription frames?

Thanks.

twblalock

Reaction score
I'm going to Japan in a month and I think I'm going to try and buy a nice pair of sunglasses there. Can you recommend a few brands to look at? I think my max budget is $250. I already found a brand called Effector which looks interesting. I'm looking for something vintage-inspired/classy.

Also, does anyone know of any sunglasses that are Wayfarer-esque but with adjustable nose pads? I like the Wayfarers, but the top of my nose is very narrow and they slide down. I have that problem with most plastic frames. At the moment I am wearing a pair of Oakley Fives Squared, which fit my nose fairly well. I suppose I could get authentic Wayfarers and then add some stick-on silicone pads, but I would rather find frames that fit properly.

roguetheory

Reaction score
What are the thoughts in Dita sunglasses? I'm interested in the Challenger model. Worth the money or over hyped?

bbhewee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by twblalock
I'm going to Japan in a month and I think I'm going to try and buy a nice pair of sunglasses there. Can you recommend a few brands to look at? I think my max budget is $250. I already found a brand called Effector which looks interesting. I'm looking for something vintage-inspired/classy.

Also, does anyone know of any sunglasses that are Wayfarer-esque but with adjustable nose pads? I like the Wayfarers, but the top of my nose is very narrow and they slide down. I have that problem with most plastic frames. At the moment I am wearing a pair of Oakley Fives Squared, which fit my nose fairly well. I suppose I could get authentic Wayfarers and then add some stick-on silicone pads, but I would rather find frames that fit properly.

Take a look at Solid Blue... They make a mean pair of specs.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an eyewear afficianado (with my own Yahoo eyewear club since 1999) I'm more than a little interested in every detail about my own frames....
Re my new and wonderful Lunor frame, I had visited a great optician's in
Buffalo (hereby referred to as "Buffalo"), where they carry Lunor frames, and I
was intrigued by their Lunor selections along with those of other (and other
generally highly selective designers). Showing a Robert Marc plastic frame to a
gentleman who appeared to be the lead optician and very knowlegeable, I asked
him for the price as well as what mine would go for in his shop. He gave a
price for the Robert Marc something like $100 less than mine. When I expressed
some surprise, as I do consider Robert Marc a special eyewear chain, he remarked the Lunor is certainly superior and frames like mine have sterling silver hinges. I knew Lunor hinges are considered outstanding and was glad to hear this. But then my curiosity got the better of
me and I wanted to verify this fact, if possible, as my hingest and related hardware do seem to have a slight goldish tinge.
First I wrote to Lunor - both their (assumably main) office in Germany and then
their U.S. rep - Robert Marc, asking specifically the material of the hardware
for a Lunor model 215 frame in color 03 ("light havana") acetate. No response.
I wanted to get to the bottom of this what-should-be-simple question and started
asking the same question of American opticians I know offer Lunor frames (all
higher-end type establishments). I also asked others' prices for my frame, out
of curiosity.
DC wrote he had confirmed with Lunor the hardware on my frame is a nickel-free
"allow" (sic) with a yellow gold finish - "gold plated." Then I mentioned what Buffalo
had said (without naming optician) and asked if perhaps Lunor goes to the effort to match the hardware with the specific acetate color. He didn't respond to that question and just
gave me his price (at that point I wasn't positive if Buffalo had really noticed
my specific acetate color).
San Francisco wrote the hinges are "silver as it matched the acetate frame color
better." I asked better than what, and inquired if 215s of other colors might
have instead other metals, and mentioned again I had seen the 03 color Lunor
frame and its hardware looks a bit pale gold.
He responded it does look gold in their catalog but all the Lunor acetate frames
they have have silver metal trim for the hinge parts. Then I mentioned someone
had said the 03 color 215s have gold plated over nickel-free alloy, and that
I've seen such a frame in person and the hardware does look a bit gold. I added
perhaps he doesn't have the 03 color in stock or any other Lunors that might be
an acetate color Lunor might have given the gold-plated hardware to. He
responded he is confused withthe discrepancies I've described but he contacted the Lunor rep and
the rep's exact words were "there is no such thing as a gold colored or even gold
plated hinge on any of those zyl's (sic). Al of those hinges are laser cut from
a block of steel. Nothing special. It's a more precise and consistent method
than if the metal was poured into a mold." The optician added he hoped this helps me rather than
make everything more confusing. I was wondering if San Francisco had meant
originally all his Lunor frames had only silver-tone hinges and mentioned the
rep hadn't specifically mentioned "sterling silver" - just that there's no gold
and implied its all must steel. And that others had said definitely "sterling
silver." No response (not surprised....).
Being all confused, I wrote back to the original optician who had said "sterling
silver" - Buffalo - and mentioned how I had been in their shop, etc. They wrote
"After double checking with Lunor we are positive that the 215 only comes with
Sterling Silver hinges," and suggested I give this hardware a good polish such
that they might look more like sterling.
Then I wrote to Toronto. They said I am correct that there are some frames with
sterling silver and gold-plated nickel alloys [I had said "nickel-free alloys"
and was this person referring to frames in general or Lunor in general?],
however the Lunor 215 model 03 "has either a titanium or stainless steel hinge
and he or she is awating verification from their distributor....
Well. I'm waiting but wonder if some Lunor distributor has been getting all
these inquiries and if he or she might be been "winging it" without really
knowing or what's going on here? With polishing my frame's hardware does perhaps
look more silver or at least I see the goldish tone could be possibly caused by
reflection from the yellower acetate. That doesn't verify they're sterling, in
any case....

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. My Rx reads 6.25/7. What type of lens works best for me?

2. Thoughts on Rayban and Oakley prescription frames?

Thanks.

I am assuming it reads -6.25 and -7.00
For your lenses, I would suggest a 1.67 or 1.74 aspheric lens. They will be thinner, wider field of view and lighter. It won;t give you as much of the bottle cap effect (depending on the size of your frame).

Oakley makes their own RX sunglasses. Unfortunately, they do NOT make it in your RX. They only make up to -4 the last time I checked. You will have to get a shop to make them for you. There are tons of difference brands of lenses and each shop will carry their favored brands.

EDIT: I just realized you said prescription frames. If you are talking clear lenses, the quality between Rayban and Oakley will be about the same. Although Oakleys are a bit more substantial, in the sense that they are bit heavier and better built. The hinges are smoother and the metal is much more durable. In terms of the plastic frames, the Oakleys are a bit thicker. DOesn't mean that they are unbreakable but they will withstand more abuse.

The Raybans will probably be $100 less than the Oakleys and for their price points, both are fair quality. I wouldn't say they are great frames though. They are both Made in China by Lux, which translates to poor quality control.

Hope that helps!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by twblalock

I don't know much about different Japanese frame companies except for Kio Yamato, O&X, Iyoko Ineyake (which if I recall is made in Denmark or something), Kuozo Kawasaki, Toki, Kame ManNen and Salt (American company but products are made in Japan). You can get most of those brands in North America which might not make them all that special to you. I would suggest to go and try to find a frame that is made in Japan that is good quality and inexpensive. Most of the larger japanese brands have a univeral suggested retail so it will be the same as North America.

Also, keep in mind that you can always get pad arms implanted on any plastic frame.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by roguetheory
What are the thoughts in Dita sunglasses? I'm interested in the Challenger model. Worth the money or over hyped?

I haven't had any long term experience with the products but they seem to be quite popular. I don't know what their long term quality is like and that to me is important. Anyone can make a $500 frame but can they make it last without breakages? I think that is more important than pricing a frame at $500 and selling them to people who continually have breakages.

Maybe someone else can comment on their experiences with the Dita products... My opinion wouldn't be all that valuable due to my limited experience with them. I have only seen them at trade shows.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for answering my question CC.

No problem. I have been a bit inactive on SF the last few weeks/months because my heavy work schedule. I try to answer questions when I can. I don't bother asking the "can you ID these frames" because anyone could do it, but I like answering more technical questions. No offense to those who ask those questions...

vilinx

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get new lenses cut for a reasonable price in Chicago? It's for a pair of Mykitas that need a new prescription...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads