Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

2. Tigris

Tigris Well-Known Member

I think the fit of those frames works well for you.

3. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Senior member

Hi cityconnection, can you please answer my question? I made an sf account just to ask you. I know you don't like these type of questions but I don't know who else to ask.

They're shuron freeways

4. shoppingshzhang

shoppingshzhang Senior member

I don't know how big your head is but I have had great success fitting Kio Yamato and Urband Frames. Kio has a tension fit that can be made to bow around the temples (usually the largest part on an asian) and then the Urband frames have a natural bow in the temple and the metal has a bit of flex to it.

Thanks a lot!
    but those are kind of over my budget for now?
    are there any other alternatives?

5. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

One more optician's response - from Toronto: his distributor said "stainless, surgical steel." Cheesh!.... So many different answers. Who's faking it?[​IMG]

6. CityConnection

One more optician's response - from Toronto: his distributor said "stainless, surgical steel." Cheesh!.... So many different answers. Who's faking it?[​IMG]

Sorry, I'm not following....response to what?

7. CityConnection

Thanks a lot!
    but those are kind of over my budget for now?
    are there any other alternatives?

If you are looking for an inexpensive pair of glasses that are wide, I would suggest to just go into the B&M stores. I can't think of any particular inexpesive brand that makes smaller frames but if you go into a shop they will have certain make and models that are available in a large size.

I know there is a brand called "Biggu", I cannot vouch for their quality though. I have only seen their ads in trade magazines. Their styles were the "industrial" look but basically copying styles from Mykita, Lindberg, Artreon, Ici Berlin and so on....

happy hunting!

8. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Sorry - Post 1029. I've now written to Lunor reps, from the Lunor website, for France and Great Britain but still no reponse.
    Today I asked my optician from whom I ordered the frame and he said, without hesitation, "sterling silver." Like guy in Buffalo, who also had one of the frames in hand. I think that's that. Just trying to figure out why others said "stainless steel" and one said the gold plated over nickel-free alloy (all supposed to be responses from their respective Lunor reps or distributors). Makes me imagine an optician I contact's asking the question of his or her Lunor rep or distributor, and that individual's responding quickly something like: "Probably stainless steel. Most frames have stainless steel hinges today." Or "Nobody uses sterling silver anymore." Something like that without really knowing or looking into it. Only one mentioned the gold and he didn't say "plated" (implying actual gold and not goldtone) until I did....
    Even though my hardware is slightly goldish I did see a Reed and Barton sterling piece the other day that did appeared the same tone as my hardware.
    I'm going with the "sterling silver" unless some other great reason comes up to refute it. Part of the reason I posted here any of this is the human element. I wondered if anyone would have anything to say about that. Lunor is famous for its hinges and I'll consider the sterling above average. An optician/framemaker responded to my same inquiries in my "Ken's Eyewear Club" Yahoo forum and, when seeing photos I sent of my hinges, responded they are indeed an old and superior design to what most frames offer today.[​IMG]

9. CityConnection

Sorry - Post 1029. I've now written to Lunor reps, from the Lunor website, for France and Great Britain but still no reponse.
    Today I asked my optician from whom I ordered the frame and he said, without hesitation, "sterling silver." Like guy in Buffalo, who also had one of the frames in hand. I think that's that. Just trying to figure out why others said "stainless steel" and one said the gold plated over nickel-free alloy (all supposed to be responses from their respective Lunor reps or distributors). Makes me imagine an optician I contact's asking the question of his or her Lunor rep or distributor, and that individual's responding quickly something like: "Probably stainless steel. Most frames have stainless steel hinges today." Or "Nobody uses sterling silver anymore." Something like that without really knowing or looking into it. Only one mentioned the gold and he didn't say "plated" (implying actual gold and not goldtone) until I did....
    Even though my hardware is slightly goldish I did see a Reed and Barton sterling piece the other day that did appeared the same tone as my hardware.
    I'm going with the "sterling silver" unless some other great reason comes up to refute it. Part of the reason I posted here any of this is the human element. I wondered if anyone would have anything to say about that. Lunor is famous for its hinges and I'll consider the sterling above average. An optician/framemaker responded to my same inquiries in my "Ken's Eyewear Club" Yahoo forum and, when seeing photos I sent of my hinges, responded they are indeed an old and superior design to what most frames offer today.[​IMG]

I dont have any experience with them but a good indication of Gold is that it won't fade. Other metals generally fade quite a bit over time.

10. Tigris

Tigris Well-Known Member

They're shuron freeways

Thank you.

11. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Grabbed the ditas on the left, right ones are old Kaneko Optical ones Both not fully on my face because I'm wearing contacts and it's making me dizzy Slightly more adult/professional looking while still being the style I like? [​IMG]

12. daruma

daruma Senior member

recommended frame like the rayban 5144? slim bridge, full rim? i tried this on but locally want to know what other brands to look out for. also im mexican so sort of brown, can i pull off tortoise?

13. derekzee

derekzee Well-Known Member

how is the quality of police? i'm looking for a new aviator. i saw one that fit my face well if a little smallish but maybe that's just because we're used to oversized frames as well. anyways it's around the same price of american optical aviators here where i live. i might get the ao but they're 24k gold with tan lenses and square frames with bits of tortoise at the end of the temple. they're way more expensive than ao's i see online but i've never seen these on the website. the SA boasted handmade craftsmanship. the police is much better for my skin tone but the ao fit better since the temples were curved or maybe i'm not just used to nothing holding onto my ears. it also felt weightier. i've had oakley crosshairs before and the quality was bad. it fell apart. [​IMG]

14. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

I have a somewhat briefer summary of the hinge inquiry project under title "Optician's Reps" from June 26th, if anyone cares to respond to that rather than the lengthy post 1029 here.... Thanks.

[​IMG]

15. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Looking for info. on Robb Report "Best of" or "Best of the Best" listings. Some references on web but true listings, if accessible at all, appear to be by fee only and I can't rationale paying. Even our large public libraries here don't seem to carry these issues; they too can't rationalize paying the subscriptions. So - I'm interested in many lists but right now "best" or "best of the best" eyewear. I've seen claims of "on for three years," etc. but want to check out the actual lists. Is eyewear under "fashion" or "accessories?" I think there just was a "Best of" issue but I can't even look at it on the magazine stand in customer-friendly bookstores, which allow heavy browsing, because it's a supplementary issue and Robb encases both issues in plastic which is supposed to be reserved for the buyer.
    Is there a "best" listing of eyewear every year or only some years? Or no actual listing and only paragraphs about some writer's favorites? If there's no "best of the best" listing of eyewear every year than no optician has any business claiming a company or designer is listed "three years in a row."[​IMG]