• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
If you have the money and don't mind losing some of your investment, I think it is worth it actually. A good learning experience.

b

Definately. Also, you don't have to go so much on the all-out scale.

I wouldn't really want to take an old frame and start strapping on fully modern parts as the expense and headache when things don't fit right (like the aforementioned cable routing problem). You are better off trying to replace with barely used versions of high quality parts from the past. There are a lot of them on the market with all the hipsters stripping down bikes for fixies and you know they will work with your bike. Things like having to cold-set the frame can be avoided by using parts from the right vintage and getting the right size.

The only real exception to the above (aside from "I understand there will be challenges but I want to add a 10sp rear cassette and modern shifters") is if you are going down a step in technology. I built a frame up for cyclocross with a modern single speed/fixed drivetrain...it was no problem (I switched to aero levers but still used old brakes...should have been fine to upgrade those too).

The tools for an old 10sp are generally pretty simple...and once you learn a few skills, even modern bikes are essentially the same...just need fancier tools.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i finally started on my next bike project. in one week, I bought the frame, handlebar, stem, seatpost and crankset... the wheels are in order, and so are the brakes and the rest of the component group... frame is something like this: http://seaotter.mtbr.com/files/2009/04/ibis-******-frame.jpg

ScottMan

Reaction score
I tool around on light trails or to grab lunch on this occasionally. It's nothing special, but I figured some of you guys might enjoy seeing an old, outdated, fairly cool at the time Trek Y-33. It could use some work and adjustment here and there but it works and I always get a few people comment on it.
Y-Bike.jpg

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
i finally started on my next bike project. in one week, I bought the frame, handlebar, stem, seatpost and crankset... the wheels are in order, and so are the brakes and the rest of the component group... frame is something like this:

http://seaotter.mtbr.com/files/2009/04/ibis-******-frame.jpg

That's a crazy looking softail. Or is it something else? (I suppose the name is somewhat appropriate.)

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ thanks. its a carbon hardtail, and can be built into a geared or single speed bike.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
^ thanks. its a carbon hardtail, and can be built into a geared or single speed bike.

That's one funky-ass way of adjusting for chain tension.
Are you going to build it as a single speed?

The animation is strangely hypnotic.
tranny_anim_1.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
might do it next time, but for now I'm sticking to gears... though its a ***** that shimano's next shipments might already be the new 3x10 set-up, which I find not worth paying the extra money for. I've just told the shop that I'd rather get the old 3x9 groupset thank you.

mondayc

Reaction score
That Ibis looks great. I just bought a Sun Rhyno Lite rim laced to a Surly flip-flop singlespeed rear wheel for $45, now I just need to build the rest of the bike. Does anyone have experience with the SRAM XX 10-speed stuff? It seems like my 9-speed gets gunked up fast enough as is...

Also, I'm set to buy a GT LTS from a co-worker for $40.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone need a Thomson 110mm 10deg 31.8 X4 stem? Have one for sale after switching to a 70mm on my Yeti.

Shiny

Reaction score
Along the lines of jaydc's post, I am looking for a 20" front suspension fork for my bike. this one:

http://www.downtube.com/Font_Suspens...ding_Bike.html

It is a 1 1/8" threaded fork. Length is about 130-140mm. I thought it would be simple to swap it out with a kids 20" suspension fork, but every kids bike I've seen comes with a 1" fork.

The reason for the swap is I'm not satisfied with the current suspension fork. There is zero adjustability. Obviously, I don't want to spend a lot of money on this upgrade. PM or email me topbrand "at" gmail.com if you have one or know of one. Thanks.
-joe

DocHunter

Reaction score
A general question for mountain bikers.

I've been itching to get myself a bike ever since a friend recently took me out on a trail ride with his extra bike. I'd like to keep it under $1000. I want something affordable, but quality and will last me a while. 29ers seem to be in right now and my buddy suggests I go with one of those. A hardtail seems to be the only option in my price range.

Any suggestions?

Shiny

Reaction score
Dochunter,
If you want something NOW, I would recommend you check out the offerings at Bikesdirect. They have some really nicely spec'ed MTB at good prices. The downside to them is that you have to put the bike together yourself. Or, you can pay an LBS to put it together.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Vanmoof bikes? The 6061 caught my eye in a recent trip to Tokyo. I like the look of it but have no idea if it's a good value (rings in about $650 here). My cheap-ass previous bike, which was free to me, was stolen (didn't even lock it), and I'm looking to make an improvement this time around. It's just to get me around the city. Nearly everyone here rides a fixed gear step-through bike. The Vanmoof isn't a step-through (a bonus to me), but I really have no idea if it's a good value or not since it'll be my first bike purchase since I was a kid. Picture here:
vanmoof_no3_main_photo.jpg

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate designer bikes.
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads