• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Couple brands I here no mention of here...

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you can dress pretty well with mall brands, but you really have to have a standard body type and luck into a perfect fit. I've seen people who dress quite well with mall brand stuff. But most people can do a whole lot better than most mall brands in the same price range or cheaper, so why bother? You might be able to make a good find or two, but unless you have that magical body they're not going to be very consistent.

Also BoO is a rip, just get something made to measure at that price point. No reason to pay more than $200 for a very "standard" shirt, although on sale they're probably a good cop.

socialdtk

Reaction score
Since this thread was originally intended to discuss brands that normally are not mentioned here, I think Nice Collective is worth bringing up. I have several jackets from them that I have been wearing on a regular basis for 3+ years that are still in fantastic condition. Most of their garments are slim fitting, well constructed and until recently very affordable. A large majority of their clothing are also very versatile and can easy be worn to the office or for a night on the town with ease. I no longer purchase Nice Collective at retail but I still jump at the chance to buy the brand when on discount. I'm not sure why it rarely mentioned around here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
That's it, I'm copping guess now. Who knew designing was so easy?

lol ur so dumb. How many people do you think there are out there who don't have their own line but who are competent at pattern making, sewing, and have good ideas? Just the top design schools alone churn out thousands of graduates a year, many in design. Where do you think these people work if they don't go the rather unusual route of starting their own line. I never said that the designs at Guess are attractive, I said that the designers are often pretty darn competent.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
lol ur so dumb. How many people do you think there are out there who don't have their own line but who are competent at pattern making, sewing, and have good ideas? Just the top design schools alone churn out thousands of graduates a year, many in design. Where do you think these people work if they don't go the rather unusual route of starting their own line. I never said that the designs at Guess are attractive, I said that the designers are often pretty darn competent.

It's like saying the engineer of a cheap car is incompetent.

ssnyc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I never said that the designs at Guess are attractive, I said that the designers are often pretty darn competent.
They are competent but stifled since they are slaves to a mass trend/demographic as you mentioned earlier. Years ago I did some showroom work for express at the limited compound in ohio. They had talented designers from italy and racks and racks of clothes from the top designers from around the world. The express designers soul purpose was to figure out what could be copied and diluted to sell to the masses. Mall brands are the Taco bell/Olive garden/Red Lobster etc of the clothing world.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
All artists have the same talent of course duh just let them loose!

Suicmez

Reaction score
Guess is one of those places that you find a few types of people at.

There are the types who only go there to buy jeans and the odd shirt without any gaudy design (like my former high school self).

Then there are the types who are the regular customers. The girls are usually the more.. promiscuous types who buy stuff from there to look "hot"
The guys who shop there are either dressed by their girlfriends (who are part of the group above), or are the type of guy who thinks he's stylish with his wraparound D&G shield sunglasses, gelled hair, Pumas/black Chuck Taylors, and tacky clothing from places like Guess or Express. Which many people might classify as a Guido.

Honestly, awful materials, tacky designs that come and go each year, and the type of people associated with the brand are the reasons why I only ever purchased 1 pair of jeans from there in high school. The only reason I go back is when I'm shopping with friends, and I just keep my mouth shut and admire the SAs.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i had a pair of jeans from guess during hs, they were really nice iirc

not as nice as the balmain i wear now though

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Suicmez
to buy jeans and the odd shirt without any gaudy design (like my former high school self).

My cousin shops at the mall (though nothing he wears is gaudy or has logso) and he styles on 90% of waywt. Then again he has swagger by association with me and he gets girls.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by socialdtk
Since this thread was originally intended to discuss brands that normally are not mentioned here, I think Nice Collective is worth bringing up. I have several jackets from them that I have been wearing on a regular basis for 3+ years that are still in fantastic condition. Most of their garments are slim fitting, well constructed and until recently very affordable. A large majority of their clothing are also very versatile and can easy be worn to the office or for a night on the town with ease. I no longer purchase Nice Collective at retail but I still jump at the chance to buy the brand when on discount. I'm not sure why it rarely mentioned around here.
NiCo was big when workwear was big here. I like their combat boots and I've sen a few pieces that I've liked but the brand isn't for me

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ssnyc
Mall brands are the Taco bell/Olive garden/Red Lobster etc of the clothing world.

^ This.

Flight Bird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrazyJew
1. Guess
Which falls under a mall brand, which subsequently becomes the target of SF hatred. Before I knew how to find better designers cheaply over the internet, my closet was entirely Guess. Out of all the stores at your typical mall, Guess kinda just seemed to be the most fashionable for its price. I still do peer in there sometimes the rare occasions I actually find myself ever going to a mall. I always liked their flashy premium denim, and I have a few beautiful T-shirts from Guess that I still wear to this day. One of the things I found most appealing about their tops was that they focused more on patterns and textures rather than just obnoxious pictures (most of the time, not all the time), and the fact that whatever design they used on a shirt, it went all the way around, not just the front half and coming to a sudden halt at the shoulder and side seems.
I was also really impressed with their line of footwear this year... they had a pair of dark desert boots that for some reason I did not snag for $50 in my size when they were on promotion. My fiancee has a couple pair of their boots and she finds them awesome.
I have heard absolutely no mention of Guess on SF whatsoever. Without blindly grouping it with the rest of the crappy mall brands, what's your opinion of their line?

Guess is overpriced crap I mean, for example:

Take a look at their tshirts, they have no taper at all
facepalm.gif
they just hang straight down.... this makes no sense to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads