1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Couple brands I here no mention of here...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CrazyJew, Jun 12, 2010.

1. jet

jet Senior member

to buy jeans and the odd shirt without any gaudy design (like my former high school self).

My cousin shops at the mall (though nothing he wears is gaudy or has logso) and he styles on 90% of waywt. Then again he has swagger by association with me and he gets girls.

2. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Since this thread was originally intended to discuss brands that normally are not mentioned here, I think Nice Collective is worth bringing up. I have several jackets from them that I have been wearing on a regular basis for 3+ years that are still in fantastic condition. Most of their garments are slim fitting, well constructed and until recently very affordable. A large majority of their clothing are also very versatile and can easy be worn to the office or for a night on the town with ease. I no longer purchase Nice Collective at retail but I still jump at the chance to buy the brand when on discount. I'm not sure why it rarely mentioned around here.
    NiCo was big when workwear was big here. I like their combat boots and I've sen a few pieces that I've liked but the brand isn't for me

3. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Mall brands are the Taco bell/Olive garden/Red Lobster etc of the clothing world.

^ This.

4. Flight Bird

Flight Bird Senior member

1. Guess
    Which falls under a mall brand, which subsequently becomes the target of SF hatred. Before I knew how to find better designers cheaply over the internet, my closet was entirely Guess. Out of all the stores at your typical mall, Guess kinda just seemed to be the most fashionable for its price. I still do peer in there sometimes the rare occasions I actually find myself ever going to a mall. I always liked their flashy premium denim, and I have a few beautiful T-shirts from Guess that I still wear to this day. One of the things I found most appealing about their tops was that they focused more on patterns and textures rather than just obnoxious pictures (most of the time, not all the time), and the fact that whatever design they used on a shirt, it went all the way around, not just the front half and coming to a sudden halt at the shoulder and side seems.
    I was also really impressed with their line of footwear this year... they had a pair of dark desert boots that for some reason I did not snag for $50 in my size when they were on promotion. My fiancee has a couple pair of their boots and she finds them awesome.
    I have heard absolutely no mention of Guess on SF whatsoever. Without blindly grouping it with the rest of the crappy mall brands, what's your opinion of their line?

Guess is overpriced crap I mean, for example:

Take a look at their tshirts, they have no taper at all [​IMG] they just hang straight down.... this makes no sense to me.

5. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Guess is overpriced crap I mean, for example:

Take a look at their tshirts, they have no taper at all [​IMG] they just hang straight down.... this makes no sense to me.

ummm, most t-shirts don't really taper.

6. Flight Bird

Flight Bird Senior member

ummm, most t-shirts don't really taper.

Hmm well I'm slim and thus need it.

7. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Most of my clothing comes from 'the mall' except for denim and sometimes shoes (ebay and the B&S here are good for that). I refuse to spend $200 on a shirt to impress people on the internetz when my $40 shirt holds up just fine.

That being said, Guess is downright ugly. But the girls who work there are hot.

'Mall Brand' hate just because it's not bought from an online store kept in business solely because of an internet discussion board is stupid.

8. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

'Mall Brand' hate just because it's not bought from an online store kept in business solely because of an internet discussion board is stupid.
    This is not the reason for the hate.

9. jet

jet Senior member

Why you trying to educate an idiot nooblet?

10. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

queue Uncontrol........................

1. it's "cue", retard
    2. i love how people who don't know shit about me are "cueing" me now. i hate Guess and i don't even know wtf the other brand is

11. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Are any of those brands sold at Barney's, Bloomingdale's, Saks, or Nordstrom?

Maybe that's why they deservedly get no play.

12. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Are any of those brands sold at Barney's, Bloomingdale's, Saks, or Nordstrom?

Maybe that's why they deservedly get no play.

lol this is fucking dumb

13. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

i only buy things from the man with chattering head in uncontrols avy...

i assumed he was the same

14. Listi

Listi Senior member

I refuse to spend $200 on a shirt to impress people on the internetz when my $40 shirt holds up just fine.

It's not about internet. It's about feeling good about wearing the clothing you're wearing. It's about feeling great every time you put the item on. Sometimes you need to spend money for that because if you lust after an expensive item, save up, and buy it, you feel like it is a special piece in your wardrobe you will love wearing.

15. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Price means nothing if the product is still a piece of shit

+1

16. ssnyc

ssnyc Senior member

I like Groupe Seize sur Vingt / Troglodyte Homunculus...never mentioned here.

17. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Guess has some decent ironic tees if you are into that kind of thing. Fit of the tees is generally good too. Never really bought anything else from there except a blazer in college that I now realize fits pretty awful (maybe I got the wrong size but I think the cut was just off).

No need to be such assholes to the OP, guys. He wasn't trolling and some of you come off as insecure bandwaggoning elitist-wannabes.

18. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

It's not about internet. It's about feeling good about wearing the clothing you're wearing. It's about feeling great every time you put the item on. Sometimes you need to spend money for that because if you lust after an expensive item, save up, and buy it, you feel like it is a special piece in your wardrobe you will love wearing.
    Which I do on occasion (a pair of boots and shoes I recently bought come to mind). That being said, it's clothing and I don't get all the talk about some sort of spiritual experience people have by buying some expensive piece of clothing that I could probably buy a blatant copy of at the GAP for a fraction of the cost (and 99% of people would never be the wiser). I get more satisfaction by buying my 'mall brand crap' and then doing other stuff with my money like going on vacation, not being in debt and saving some of it. They looks awesome, but Junya blazers and MMM sneaks aren't going to buy me a house. To each their own.

19. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

No need to be such assholes to the OP, guys. He wasn't trolling and some of you come off as insecure bandwaggoning elitist-wannabes.

[​IMG]

This.

20. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

wow metrostyles why wear guess ironic Ts when you can wear lanvin Ts with pics of lanvin sneakers on them???? SO MUCH MORE AWESOME

basically everything guess does lanvin does better