• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I mean, some people are too fat to wear certain things but that's different.

plain.gif

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
jet- You looked lovely and slim in your patent rafs in your last pic
wink.gif
graphicnovelty- you're right that having good posture really helps. I have some friends guys and girls who have bad posture and sometimes i just tease them telling them to stand up straight and we both laugh because they gain like 2-3". Also, i tend to stay away from slim and short tees personally because i don't like how they make my body look. I'm not super tall (6ft) but if we're talking height stuff, i find that slightly longer tees that are slim with a bit of drape (so basically not sizing down on stuff. just a slim cut tee in your size that maybe runs a smidge long) works nicely. I have a bson tee from like 3years ago like this and it definitely slims and lengthens.

gtu2004

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Edit: I had this whole thing written, but *******. Here's the same fit with color. Just for you taut
biggrin.gif

66794541.jpg

Point being that color makes me look shorter

you gotta get rid of that hat. then we can talk abt the rest

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
It passes in my imagination if you change the pants to black, straighten him up, put his arm around a really skinny girl in a dress and heels, and take the picture in an orchestra hall. Might even have to dye his hair black. Has to be night time, too.
The marble jacket +background was a ***** to photoshop.
jdmay.jpg
I gotta say, black pants look better.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, JD, I showed this thread to my girlfriend, and she thinks you're a baller.

the_pole

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Barneys.... why are you asking in this thread?

cause tryin to get a answer in the questions thread is like jumping of the Empire state building and living to talk about it .

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
black pants look better, but that doesn't mean that the red doesn't work imho

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
jet- You looked lovely and slim in your patent rafs in your last pic
wink.gif
graphicnovelty- you're right that having good posture really helps. I have some friends guys and girls who have bad posture and sometimes i just tease them telling them to stand up straight and we both laugh because they gain like 2-3". Also, i tend to stay away from slim and short tees personally because i don't like how they make my body look. I'm not super tall (6ft) but if we're talking height stuff, i find that slightly longer tees that are slim with a bit of drape (so basically not sizing down on stuff. just a slim cut tee in your size that maybe runs a smidge long) works nicely. I have a bson tee from like 3years ago like this and it definitely slims and lengthens.

I've found the opposite, but that might be because I have a short torso and longer legs, so I've found that shorter shirts/cropped jackets and low rise jeans work the best. AA tees are a little small in the shoulders/chest but my body brings the hem up higher (like so). It might not fit "right" but i think it looks pretty good. I was also lucky that the MxMJ i grabbed off of gilt when i first was like OMG SELVEGE were Low-rise slight taper, which, IMO, are the best fit for me. (Considerations like that make looking for new **** easier. I'm currently beasting over some Somet 003's/005's).

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fits from JD generate so much more actual conversation about clothes than most other posters combined. Usually replies are either simple "you're great!" or "fix (item)" type responses, but it's nice to see a discussion. I don't think GraphicNovelty's fits are very good (no hate), but I like the conversation they provoke.

@GraphicNovelty: I don't think there's any problem in dressing to to appear taller/thinner/whatever you want to be. I do it myself, to an extent. I have relatively large hips for how thin I am and a small chest, leading to having about a 2in. drop. Can you tell that from my fit pics? No, because I learned to dress around it. Once you figure out how to do that for yourself things get way easier. I think chrono's suggesion for a longer t is good, but it also might help if you sag your jeans. This can help make you look less stocky.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I have a short torso and long legs, so I've found that shorter shirts/cropped jackets and low rise jeans work the best. AA tees are a little small in the shoulders/chest but my body brings the hem up higher (like so). It might not fit "right" but i think it looks pretty good. .
Then again, something that isn't so tight in the chest and a smidge longer to help streamline your body would probably be better than emphasizing your chest/shoulders/arms which you obviously work out and help streamline and great a long lean look. Nothing will make you look not short so that's out of the question. But i don't think you can have your cake and eat it too by emphasizing your chest and also look tall, slender and sleek. Part of the reason i said that bson tee did wonders on me is it almost has a slinky type effect. Wouldn't work if the chest was tight on me (i have shirts like that as well) To be completely honest though, if you're trying to look taller, i don't know how much it's working waywt wise. I have no idea of your height but have always figured you're like in the 5'4-5'8 range. Same with some other posters (then again, it might just be my mind realizing points of reference in photos without me knowing). Braidkid probably does the best job with this as in some photos he seems much taller than he is. Then again, they're photos and angles, lighting and things like that can effect it and ultimately, in real life i'd notice braid was like 5'8 (for some reason i thought he said he was short). he did have a few pics (that trench one comes to mind) where he look taller then again. i think people would ultimately be happier just dressing better without as much regard to focusing on what they think is the most optimal way to enhance their physical attributes. better overall results will come of it Just a discussion. Not really trying to argue but something that comes up a lot and is nice to discuss, though i wish the discussion happened to take place in random thoughts rather than wait but i guess that's what happened. sometimes that thread is more popping sometimes this. oh well. still better than banned users, friends of banned users trolling, and people playing "guess the troll"

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've found the opposite, but that might be because I have a short torso and longer legs, so I've found that shorter shirts/cropped jackets and low rise jeans work the best. AA tees are a little small in the shoulders/chest but my body brings the hem up higher (like so). It might not fit "right" but i think it looks pretty good. I was also lucky that the MxMJ i grabbed off of gilt when i first was like OMG SELVEGE were Low-rise slight taper, which, IMO, are the best fit for me. (Considerations like that make looking for new **** easier. I'm currently beasting over some Somet 003's/005's).
You should hem your jeans: the more stacking/cuffs, the shorter you appear. And yes, low rise will also give the appearance of longer legs

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chrono: I'm going to try and see what longer tees do for me. I was going to return this long Alt apparel tee i bought online but i'll give it another whirl. Do you have a reference pic?

As for my WAYWT skills, well, you're right, they're pretty terrible. Up until a few weeks ago, I was living in a fairly cramped room. I have a bit more picture taking leeway now that i'm out of college, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads