• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! - Addicted to Nordstrom Rack/Hugo Boss

krolyk55

Reaction score
Newbie to the forum here...

Ok.... the first step is to admit it right? Right. Ok, now it's on the table. Every suit i own is a 44L Hugo Boss. I'd really like to mix it up or something, but is it possible for me??

Every time I need a suit, i go to Nordstrom rack and buy a Hugo Boss for $250-$350. Two reasons, 1. i am always on a budget, but need suits I can count on for style since i am not extremely fashion-polished and can't really judge any of the the custom/no-name or MTM suits on my own. 2. I am very tall, 6'7", (240 lbs is still slender for me), and the HB 44L's are always long enough for me. (Calvin Klein, Joseph Abboud, etc never have long enough sleeves)

Question:

Are there any other top notch brands I can find somewhere that make a long 44L's like Hugo Boss which i can buy new for between $250-$350?

Am I doomed to have an entire wardrobe of Hugo Boss forever on this budget??

Help Please.

Chargersfan

Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
i sympathize.

you are right, HB is known for extra-long sleeves.

i'm not aware of any other brands that make the extra-extra long sleeves you're looking for off the rack. you might have luck with varvatos * USA.

if that doesn't work, your best option at that price point is made to measure. there are plenty of threads on this topic.

CutandSew

Reaction score
You make it sound like owning Hugo Boss is a death sentence! If the suits fit you well and if they look good on you, does it really matter that they're all Hugo Boss? You can certainly keep an eye out for other brands that may fit you on the sleeves or just save up for MTM, but I wouldn't freak out over it especially since you got the Boss stuff on discount. Just enjoy your suits!

xpress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CutandSew
You make it sound like owning Hugo Boss is a death sentence! If the suits fit you well and if they look good on you, does it really matter that they're all Hugo Boss? You can certainly keep an eye out for other brands that may fit you on the sleeves or just save up for MTM, but I wouldn't freak out over it especially since you got the Boss stuff on discount. Just enjoy your suits!

+1

In that price range you might want to check out Strellson...

A little bit more fashion forward, and you can certainly find them in your budget with a bit of hunting.

bearsfan172

Reaction score
The reason so many people on this forum hate hugo boss is that most of them were once suckered into buying one for $900, and now look back and realize that they got ripped off.

If you're buying them at the rack for $250 or so, and they fit well off the rack, then you're not getting a bad deal. In fact, unless you spend quite a bit of time looking for awesome deals, that might be the best you're going to get. Certainly, there are stories of people finding Canalis and RLBLs at prices that low, but they are very rare. Certainly not enough to populate an entire wardrobe.

If you want to get some "nicer" suits, my recommendation would be stick with what you have, and start populating your wardrobe one suit at a time with higher end MTM suits.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i second john varvatos..also for the amount of hate hugo Boss gets every time i get a few for sale they sell extremely quickly

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Boss suit I have isn't bad and was purchased at a steep discount. That said I would spend more them a couple hundred on a new one. Now the Kenneth Cole NY I purchase new (even at $125) was not money well spent.

krolyk55

Reaction score
Haha ya CutandSew, don't get me wrong, I do love the hugo boss suits. It's just that it feels a little boring wearing hugo to work every single day, i need some variety in my life, even if i can barely afford it..

Thanks for the suggestions, I looked up some John Varvatos and that might actually be long enough. I'll check out Strellson too, please keep the ideas coming.

If any other tall people read this post, I can tell you that of the brands I've tried, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, and Banana Rebuplic are worthless for tall people.

Oh ya, one more tip- I buy alot of Nordstrom house brand shirts, they run tall, are affordable, and look reasonably stylish in my opinion.

And as a follow up on the pricepoint, they are usually $300- $350 on sale at Rack, plus another $30-$40 for tailoring. I did get one for $250 though..

Kazou

Reaction score
I'd forgo buying a few HB and save that money into a MTM suit. Go to a tailor with your HB suit that fits you the best and have them note the measurements etc. then you can choose a color, pattern you like or add extras to it.

gboyle138

Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with Hugo Boss suits at those prices either.

Meursault-

Reaction score
HB suits from the Rack are generally from a diffusion line, yes?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can not say with certainty but I have never heard of a Boss diffusion line that is labelled the same as the others. Ie, black label, orange, etc...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads