• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

squats

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to squat nude, or at least bottomless if the gym is conservative, so that I can feel when I've gone low enough.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Thanks for the tips Hendrix, I'll definitely keep that in mind. Diet is probably the most difficult thing, just picking what to eat and not necessarily how much since I pretty much stay within the caloric intake my body needs. I mostly do cardio now really (ie: P90X and Insanity but not every day) but I believe I have receive the wrong info that if I wanted to get toned, I can lift with more reps but less weight. I have been doing it for a while, maybe a year now and it really hasn't gotten me anywhere. I am a bit lost because I am 5'9.5"-5'10" and my weight ranges from 135-140 lbs and I feel like I need to build more muscle but again without bulking up. I'm afraid if I do more extreme cardio/HIIT that I would just go down in weight even more. I'll give the 5x5 a shot.
I don't want to sound like one of those "if-you're-this-height-you-should be-this-weight" dudes cos they're idiots, but at your stats you could easily put on 15lbs in lean muscle and not have to worry about getting bulky at all. You wouldn't grow out of any of your clothes. And since you're not concerned about bulking up, you can just alter your diet depending on whether you think you're getting too bulky or not. You'll probably want to eat a bit more since you'll be using a lot more energy. Here's Bill Starr's routine http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Starr_5x5. There are other 5x5s such as Starting Strength which also work very well. have a read. You could sub the bench presses for dumbbell bench presses, as there's anecdotal evidence that barbell flat bench increases size better, but dumbbells keep proportions nicer (uses more of smaller muscles) [dubious and probably not much difference at all, just a suggestion].

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great info, thank you very much for the help. I highly appreciate it.

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

However, if I want to be more toned and cut overall, and not necessarily buff or get stronger or get bigger arms/thighs, is squats still ideal? Also, can you get the same benefits if I do squats without weights?

It's just I am pretty happy with how my clothes fit but I could use some toning up with out bulking up too much, ie: getting bigger arms or thighs. Should I try and incorporate squats?

Squats have a place in any workout routine.

The only way to "tone and cut" is through diet and fat loss. Light weight and high reps to "cut" your muscles are absolute bullshit; only by reducing the fat under your skin and around your muscles can you have that "cut" look.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
I like to squat nude, or at least bottomless if the gym is conservative, so that I can feel when I've gone low enough.

It's not humanly possible to squat that low.
laugh.gif

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 5'10 140, your only concern is getting stronger. The rest will sort itself out (not joking).

stronglifts.com

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
It's not humanly possible to squat that low.
laugh.gif

Not if you are Mandingo.

Morgan

Reaction score
I've been doing a basic 5x5 type workout since New Years (yes, I actually stuck with my resolution for 5 1/2 months so far!). Each workout begins with either squats or deadlifts, then a mix of other basic moves - bench press, overhead press, pullups, etc.

My strength increased consistently and I put on maybe 5-10 pounds of muscle over 5 months. I was thrilled, but recently my knees began to ache. Sometimes the pain occurs while I am doing the deadlift or squat, but not usually. The pain will typically strike at random later in the day, while I am walking to lunch, or walking home from work. It's not a sharp pain, but deep and sometimes intense - like I have to sit down because I can't walk intense. It soon passes and I hobble on, then I'm walking normally five minutes later. I consult Beginning Strength regularly and try to be rigorous about my form, but I think I must be doing something wrong. What is the most likely cause here? Am I just getting old?

If it helps, I am 33 years old, 5'11" and about 165 lb. I've always been slim and not particularly strong, but I've always worked out enough to stay in moderate shape. This is is the first time I've followed a really structured plan to get stronger, as opposed to just going to the gym to do some lifting and/or cardio, which has never injured me before.

Jay687

Reaction score
At your height and weight, I'd stop trying to tone. I doubt you have a terrible bf% and I'd bet the main reason you don't looked toned is because you simply lack muscle mass. Take the time to gain weight slowly and lift hard, you'll be happy in the end if you can push your weight up to at least 150+.

Good luck.

And to answer the squat question: go as far as your flexibility takes you.

innerstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
What is a "physio"? Physical therapist?

I've laid off the squats and deadlifts for a couple weeks now.

It's good you stopped and you definitely should not ignore knee pain. I'd recommend you watch the squat rx videos on youtube, you're bound to learn something that will improve your form. Here's the first one:

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's just I am pretty happy with how my clothes fit

Amazes me how often clothes fit comes up as a "fitness" criterion on SF. If you work out effectively and get in better shape (tons of good info on that in this subforum) you will look better overall, assuming you're not a marothoner or something similar. Seems like that should be the end of story.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Looking at that Rippetoe instruction video, the guy doing the squats has the weights lower behind his neck and sticks his chin out forward a lot more than I do. Is that good? I thought you were supposed to maintain a completely straight posture, and I've been resting the weights on my traps, not quite so low.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
ass 2 grass

My man nailed it. A2G. I go as deep I can, less than parallel for sure. Some guys can actually touch their ass to their heels, which amazes me. If you put the safety bars up you should feel confident in at leaast trying

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics