1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

squats

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by sprinter, May 19, 2010.

1. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

At 5'10 140, your only concern is getting stronger. The rest will sort itself out (not joking).

stronglifts.com

2. sonick

sonick Senior member

It's not humanly possible to squat that low. [​IMG]
    Not if you are Mandingo.

3. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

I've been doing a basic 5x5 type workout since New Years (yes, I actually stuck with my resolution for 5 1/2 months so far!). Each workout begins with either squats or deadlifts, then a mix of other basic moves - bench press, overhead press, pullups, etc.

My strength increased consistently and I put on maybe 5-10 pounds of muscle over 5 months. I was thrilled, but recently my knees began to ache. Sometimes the pain occurs while I am doing the deadlift or squat, but not usually. The pain will typically strike at random later in the day, while I am walking to lunch, or walking home from work. It's not a sharp pain, but deep and sometimes intense - like I have to sit down because I can't walk intense. It soon passes and I hobble on, then I'm walking normally five minutes later. I consult Beginning Strength regularly and try to be rigorous about my form, but I think I must be doing something wrong. What is the most likely cause here? Am I just getting old?

If it helps, I am 33 years old, 5'11" and about 165 lb. I've always been slim and not particularly strong, but I've always worked out enough to stay in moderate shape. This is is the first time I've followed a really structured plan to get stronger, as opposed to just going to the gym to do some lifting and/or cardio, which has never injured me before.

4. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

see a physio. take a couple of weeks off gym.

5. Jay687

Jay687 Senior member

At your height and weight, I'd stop trying to tone. I doubt you have a terrible bf% and I'd bet the main reason you don't looked toned is because you simply lack muscle mass. Take the time to gain weight slowly and lift hard, you'll be happy in the end if you can push your weight up to at least 150+.

Good luck.

And to answer the squat question: go as far as your flexibility takes you.

6. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

What is a "physio"? Physical therapist?

I've laid off the squats and deadlifts for a couple weeks now.

7. innerstyle

innerstyle Senior member

What is a "physio"? Physical therapist?

I've laid off the squats and deadlifts for a couple weeks now.

It's good you stopped and you definitely should not ignore knee pain. I'd recommend you watch the squat rx videos on youtube, you're bound to learn something that will improve your form. Here's the first one:

8. JoelF

JoelF Senior member

It's just I am pretty happy with how my clothes fit

Amazes me how often clothes fit comes up as a "fitness" criterion on SF. If you work out effectively and get in better shape (tons of good info on that in this subforum) you will look better overall, assuming you're not a marothoner or something similar. Seems like that should be the end of story.

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Looking at that Rippetoe instruction video, the guy doing the squats has the weights lower behind his neck and sticks his chin out forward a lot more than I do. Is that good? I thought you were supposed to maintain a completely straight posture, and I've been resting the weights on my traps, not quite so low.

10. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

ass 2 grass

My man nailed it. A2G. I go as deep I can, less than parallel for sure. Some guys can actually touch their ass to their heels, which amazes me. If you put the safety bars up you should feel confident in at leaast trying

11. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Looking at that Rippetoe instruction video, the guy doing the squats has the weights lower behind his neck and sticks his chin out forward a lot more than I do. Is that good? I thought you were supposed to maintain a completely straight posture, and I've been resting the weights on my traps, not quite so low.

Rippetoe coaches a "low bar" squat - low bar position.

12. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Rippetoe coaches a "low bar" squat - low bar position.

Yeah this is true, and it has helped me with stability, but I'm not sure about the chin pointing out issue the guy brought up. IIRC, Rippetoe says to keep your chin tucked as if trying to hold a tennis ball against your chest with it throughout the entire squat, while staring at a spot on the floor 6 feet in front of you the entire time.

13. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

rippetoe's squat is a low-bar back squat, which is more of a powerlifting style squat as opposed to olympic lifting.

A high back back squat is probably what you're doing, which is fine. High bar back squats use a bit more of thighs than ass/hamstrings.

i do low bars because i'm not flexible enough to do high bars and get all that depth. also it's just the way i was taught and i can't be bothered learning high bar.

both are good.

14. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

It's good you stopped and you definitely should not ignore knee pain. I'd recommend you watch the squat rx videos on youtube, you're bound to learn something that will improve your form. Here's the first one:
    Squatrx videos are good [​IMG], helped me out alot awhile back.

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

What do you guys think of Tabata Squats? I am somewhat limited in weights so I am considering this as an option.

16. mr.loverman

mr.loverman Senior member

Edit: If you seriously only want to get more cut, don't bother with the gym. Diet + cardio.

Keep in mind that there's no such thing as "muscle toning" per se. You can lose fat to make the muscle look toned.

If you want to tone without bulking, the important thing is to watch what you eat. If you start lifting and eat the same amount that you do now, it's impossible for you to get bigger. You will definitely lose fat.

I recommend that you work out to a simple 5x5 plan, and just monitor what you eat. Your muscles will get bigger, but you won't bulk up overall because you'll be losing fat, as long as you watch what you eat.

If at a month in, you think you've gained a couple of millimetres too much in the thighs, you can stop, and just do light weights. The muscle gain is really not overnight.

5 by 5 means you use a weight for which you can do 5 repetitions, over 5 sets, with gaps of about 90 secs or longer between each set.

I'm pretty confident you'll want to stick with a 5x5 programme after you've been doing it for a month. with perhaps a bit of cardio added in. Light weights are a waste of time IMO. May as well just be doing cardio.

Bill Starr's 5x5 is good. there's others out there. they'll all pretty much the same and focus on:
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Benchpress
    Military Press

Getting cut is 99% diet. Having the muscle that makes you look good once getting cut requires resistance exercise in addition to proper diet. Cardio is not necessary for either.

17. sidewinder13

sidewinder13 Senior member

Always ass to the grass.

ass 2 grass

I was in the gym last night and was chanting this in my head while doing squats. Thanks for the advice. My butt hurts now. [​IMG]

18. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

What do you guys think of Tabata Squats? I am somewhat limited in weights so I am considering this as an option.

Are you serious? Tabatas should not be mixed with any weights in my opinion. If you really did Tabatas, you need to be going ALL OUT which invariably means all goes well for the first 3 or 4 rounds but invariably in rounds 5 through 8, fatigue sets in and you have to fight to maintain form. If you are not, you aren't trying hard enough. This in itself is a recipe for disaster when mixed with heavy weights and the need to balance. Surest way to injure yourself....

19. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Are you serious? Tabatas should not be mixed with any weights in my opinion. If you really did Tabatas, you need to be going ALL OUT which invariably means all goes well for the first 3 or 4 rounds but invariably in rounds 5 through 8, fatigue sets in and you have to fight to maintain form. If you are not, you aren't trying hard enough. This in itself is a recipe for disaster when mixed with heavy weights and the need to balance. Surest way to injure yourself....

I think you missed my earlier post. I am contemplating adding squats in my routine so I asked if squats are good but I do not want to add size, just tone down. And since I am limited with my weight options, I was considering doing tabata squats instead and was just asking if it will do for what I am trying to accomplish.

20. Architects

Architects Member

I restarted the Rippetoe program (Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Military Light, Pendlay Rows) but I cut out the squats because last time I followed the program, I got rather big thighs which just does not look good in slim jeans. Squats are supposed to be done 3x a week and 3x5 per workout. Any ideas on how to include squats while getting the benefits of the growth hormes? Like should I start with really low weights and just do it 2x a week?