• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walt Mossberg Raves About the iPad

epb

Reaction score
Personally, i didn't think it was that serious, but the gf bought me one today as a present. I've never owned a Mac product and this is supposed to cure my alleged bias. We'll see.

legit

Reaction score
I'm not a huge Mac fan. I agree that the iPad is a pretty sweet idea and is fun to play with, but for me the novelty wears off and it doesn't have anything particularly appealing to me and my lifestyle. For others it is the exact opposite I'm sure, and it's very cool for them.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had mine since they came out - it's very good for watching TV shows/movies/Appreciation on the road. Games are okay, bigger versions of iPhone games.

Useless for typing of any length - it's harder to type fast on than an iPhone.

Would maybe be an okay wireless device if I had the 3G version, but I'm not excited enough by it to buy one.

epb

Reaction score
So far, I find it interesting. The gf got it to replace my travel laptop, a Sony TZ150. I like the laptop because it's small, has a nice display and gets good battery life; it is great for letting me stay in touch on the road. Since I rarely took advantage of the Sony's full capabilities on the road, I suspect the iPad will do the job, but so far there's been no "killer app" that makes it worth the compromises. The biggest benefit is that unlimited 3G is half the price of a data plan with Sprint on my Sony.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
I can type much faster on the iPad than the iPhone.

--Andre

Same here. I was finally at the glass cube store in NYC yesterday and was able to play with the iPad. Nice machine. Very intuitive to use.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Same here. I was finally at the glass cube store in NYC yesterday and was able to play with the iPad. Nice machine. Very intuitive to use.

that single store has more than 250mm in sales every year...isn't that amazing? people are impressed with apple tech and i just find their retail operations to be brilliant.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
that single store has more than 250mm in sales every year...isn't that amazing? people are impressed with apple tech and i just find their retail operations to be brilliant.
I'm not an Apple fan, but I'm also always impressed with their retail operations.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I'm not an Apple fan, but I'm also always impressed with their retail operations.

Seriously, I hate their stores - it is too much just wandering and milling around. You talk to someone, who talks into a headset, then some other person wanders up to you, asks what you want, wanders off, eventually comes back, and then you're standing in the middle of the store completing the transaction while people mill all around you. Not my idea of pleasant...

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Will you be back in June? You can attend our NYC get together.
smile.gif
Food, wine, audio. In that order... Girl's iPad is shipping up here May 28. If I like it long term (a week), I'll order a 3G.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
Seriously, I hate their stores - it is too much just wandering and milling around. You talk to someone, who talks into a headset, then some other person wanders up to you, asks what you want, wanders off, eventually comes back, and then you're standing in the middle of the store completing the transaction while people mill all around you. Not my idea of pleasant...

I don't find the smaller stores to be like that at all. Yesterday my gf and I went to a store in a Boston area mall, talked with a sales associate at the iPad table for a while about the iPad and she gave us very balanced info imho. Then she took us to look at the keyboards and talked to us about those too. A rather satisfying retail experience for us.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Will you be back in June? You can attend our NYC get together.
smile.gif

Food, wine, audio. In that order...

Girl's iPad is shipping up here May 28. If I like it long term (a week), I'll order a 3G.

When in June? I need some 2-channel audio advice
smile.gif

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
There was another stat I remember seeing not too long ago about the nyc cube in terms of square footage sales being the highest on 5th ave. You have to consider just how impressive that is given that there are so many high end jewelry/diamond stores nearby which should naturally have higher number psf.

transient

Reaction score
Their retail operations ARE impressive. I got my iPad in the second hour of the release, they had coffee, and a person to help just you. Their point of sale is great too, they just scanned my credit card into an ipod touch and have me sign on the screen and I was on my merry way. None of that lines and cash register bullshit. They're one of the few large American companies that put emphasis on their customers.

The iPad is really great, it just integrated into my lifestyle. At the least it changed reading in bed and reading on the toilet. But this is just the beginning. I can't wait to use touch screen photoshop on a 40" display.

MarcInDentonTx

Reaction score
I pre-ordered and got the 3G/64GB version delivered on the Friday everyone else got theirs. Like it. Realize it has some limitations and isn't all things to all people. It's a new piece of technology. I like toys and am always an early adopter.

Need Flash? Carry a laptop.

I'm loving surfing, reading with the Kindle App on the iPad.

Anyone need a Kindle?
happy.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads