• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic, not that bad

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
Huh? Im over 6´3 (180lb) and dont own a single tall size. I advice at looking at more modern/designer brands (hah, you never thought youd hear that from me). For example, Our Legacy have long enough sleeves in L for me.

I'm 6'6" and find that a lot of brands even in an XL are not long enough for my arms. Some people have different builds then others and longer arms, I guess. That said, I find it hard to believe that anyone 6'3" could get away with a normal L in most brands.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^depends on what you mean with "most brands". Stuff like RL and LL bean will definitly (or mostly) be too short in the sleeves, while OL as mentioned, or EG works just fine. H&M shirts usually have really long sleeves aswell.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
You'd have to be pretty old to remember that. And a former BR shopper. Of which I am neither.

I thought you loved BR.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
I thought you loved BR.

For all the hate the store gets on this forum, people forget that not that long ago BR was the go to place for men's fashion in it's price range. At the same time, back then, most people here wouldn't have been caught dead walking into something like a JCrew...

Anyways, I stand by my theory that they are going to reinvent the brand when they are done fixing Gap's image.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Both the trousers and the outerwear can be pretty good in some cases. Still would rather buy the clothes they were originally modeled off of though.
facepalm.gif

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bows1
+1 love them. edit - their new vintage straight fit chinos have a great fit to them.
I bought these on discount, i.e. ~ $25. Light khaki brown striped, and incredibly narrow. Totally worth it. Also their modern fit is incredibly boxy and baggy. The tailored fit suit is a dream though.

lastlight

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
I bought these on discount, i.e. ~ $25. Light khaki brown striped, and incredibly narrow. Totally worth it.

Also their modern fit is incredibly boxy and baggy. The tailored fit suit is a dream though.

Should try their tailored fit. I was really put off with modern fit, I'm a fatso and it was still too baggy.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XeF4
I do like some of the Heritage line.

The Monogram line isn't that bad either.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I never understood what BR is doing with their Heritage and Monogram lines. They both seem to be around the same price and level, and no real distinction in either.

They really need to just make th emonogram line a higher end line to compete with PRL (made in italy/england) or BB level stuff.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The modern fit vs. the tailored fit is quite literally night and day. For the modern fit to fit, you would have to go down a size or two to make it look OK. This is a bit hard for me, however, as I am a 36. Heritage is more of a safari style, almost utility (thus, heritage, like their original brand style) and monogram is better fitting, more fashion forward, and typically found in monotone colors like grey. Here is a short list of what is worth buying there in store, because their website & online selection is poor. - Slim fit non-iron shirts. If have any interest in non-iron, these hold up pretty well. They also come with french cuffs, which is a plus. If you dont want french cuffs, the newer style (spring and summer '10) classic fits have been taken in at the waist. I'm sure that these are still a bit boxy, so going a size down may help. - Vintage straight chinos. (not shown properly on the website) They wont be labeled as vintage straight, but rather as straight fit. The ones you want are lighter material, and have back flap pockets. These are very narrow in both the thigh and the leg and fit well. Their vintage straight jeans are also very well fitting, and worth getting if you want a narrow, shilouette fit. Their regular straight fit jeans have a break at the botton, whereas the vintage straight do not. - Tailored Fit suit. Pretty expensive for BR, but it is half canvassed (don't quote me on this) and fits incredibly well when you find the right size. There are a lot of promotion worth taking advantage of and when you apply them you can easily get this suit for +40% off. - Skinny ties. Not uber skinny, but some styles/colors look great and dont feel cheap. Try picking these up on discount. -100% Silk pocket squares. Almost all of these are marked down. I picked a dark blue one up for $3.50 the other day. This price should be nationwide. Probably worth more as silk. These probably wont be marked as the right price, so ask for a price check to see what styles are priced. - Casual button downs. The ones you find without button front pockets, should have room for collar stays, easy to dress up or down, and usually come in slim fit. -Tailored fit blazer. They come out with these once every fall, usually in navy pinstripe. More than likely, your nearby store will have a ton of these on sale right now (@ $99.99). They are very casual, very soft, and look really nice. Like the tailored fit suit, they fit well and at 100 bucks is worth it for a good every day 3 button blazer. -Straw fedora. Very cool, fits well, and is cheap @ $40.00 Some ways to save - Go in with your student ID (or bring a friend who is a student) and get 15% off your whole purchase including sale. - Sign up for your stores mailing list (not just the company's) to get emails for the often steep promotions. - Open a card at the store, even if you are declined some stores will still give you the 15% enrollment discount. Combinable with the student discount. - currently if you buy anything (like a $3 pocketsquare) you should be getting a coupon for 40% off a single full priced item for 4 wednesdays starting on the 26th through the 3rd wednesday in june. This is combinable with your student discount, and the enrollment discount. A good way to get your suit at over 50% off. - If you end up getting or have a BR card, you get a lot of rewards like $$ off or % off. Hope this info can help, and make BR a little more worth it. There is no reason to buy anything there at full priced.

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
The modern fit vs. the tailored fit is quite literally night and day. For the modern fit to fit, you would have to go down a size or two to make it look OK. This is a bit hard for me, however, as I am a 36. Heritage is more of a safari style, almost utility (thus, heritage, like their original brand style) and monogram is better fitting, more fashion forward, and typically found in monotone colors like grey. Here is a short list of what is worth buying there in store, because their website & online selection is poor. - Vintage straight chinos. (not shown properly on the website) They wont be labeled as vintage straight, but rather as straight fit. The ones you want are lighter material, and have back flap pockets. These are very narrow in both the thigh and the leg and fit well. Their vintage straight jeans are also very well fitting, and worth getting if you want a narrow, shilouette fit. Their regular straight fit jeans have a break at the botton, whereas the vintage straight do not.
This is incorrect; the vintage straight fits are labeled as such, under no circumstances buy the straight fit. edit - wait you mean they will be labeled wrong on the website or in the store?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bows1
This is incorrect; the vintage straight fits are labeled as such, under no circumstances buy the straight fit.

edit - wait you mean they will be labeled wrong on the website or in the store?

The website doesn't show the whole selection well at all, and I would not suggest going there except for a tie, hat, etc...

At least in the store near me, they are labeled straight fit, and there is no signage that suggest that they are vintage straight. They are distinctive however by the somewhat frayed front pockets and back flap pockets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads