• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcl

Reaction score
Found a recent Ben Silver blazer in great condition, though a bit large for me. As well as an Arnold Brant cashmere number in my size. I did leave an odd pair of white levis that I suspected might have been fake. Very lightweight material and the construction seemed ok. There was a small label on the inside that was marked Made in Italy. I should have taken a picture, but I think the number on the leather patch was 410. Anyone know if I should go back for them? I know next to nothing about SW&D.

Trotsky1940

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Astan
I hadn't noticed this before, but at Goodwill there is something called "Boutique pricing". That is, clothes from boutique lines are priced at a much higher rate. It seems goodwill decided J.Crew was boutique so one of their shirts is 10 bucks. I like J.Crew, but 10 bucks? I hadn't noticed it before but the lady at the counter said theyve been doing boutique pricing for years. Not sure whether to pick it up anyways, hadn't gotten anything in a while, feeling the itch.

The local Salvation Army was fairly good when I moved here, I picked up a surprisingly decent number of shoes (including a beautiful pair of J&M Aristocrat Saddle Shoes in black) but lately they have moved towards this as well. The really funny thing is, their "boutique" stuff is crap like Savannah Khakis, dockers, used suit pants... just real crap and all for only 4 or 5 times the price of their usual offerings. I still hit that location because you never know (and it has paid off) but who the hell would pay $10 for a used pair of Savannah Khakis?. I don't they have too much turn over in that section either, as they crap has been there for months.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lynch_king
...only things i see around here are stained to crap Dior ties, Stained and ripped Givenchy ties, Talbot knit tieswith holes in them. and a bunch of old navy and department store garbage. pretty much nothing in the same LEAGUE as you guys.

That's what I used to think. When you start thrifting its like when you can barely hear a song and you have no idea what it is and then once you catch a snippet you recognize you suddenly can hear the song perfectly and pick up every word. One day it'll just start clicking and you'll find things.

Every store is stuffed! I seem to remember last summer - my first at thrifting - was a slow time? The flippers are also out in force: I saw 3 different ones stuffing shopping carts at my local Goodwill. They must have been newbies to it because I was on my way out and that Goodwill didn't have anything decent. Plus, have you seen the explosion of suits on eBay? Maybe that's why I haven't found an undamaged nested suit in ages.

Sorry - that was my weekly
musicboohoo[1].gif
. I feel better already
bounce2.gif

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Astan
I hadn't noticed this before, but at Goodwill there is something called "Boutique pricing". That is, clothes from boutique lines are priced at a much higher rate. It seems goodwill decided J.Crew was boutique so one of their shirts is 10 bucks. I like J.Crew, but 10 bucks? I hadn't noticed it before but the lady at the counter said theyve been doing boutique pricing for years. Not sure whether to pick it up anyways, hadn't gotten anything in a while, feeling the itch.

I have noticed this as well over the past few months. I never really paid much attention, but the Goodwill in my area has been doing this. Much higher prices on brands I wouldn't consider "cream of the crop." Higher prices were placed on American Eagle, LL Bean, and GAP especially. There were BB and JCrew at normal prices, though.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsaltzma
My day in a nutshell...

Polo (C&J Onslow) norwegian bluchers
Bills M2 flat front NWT unhemmed
Polo dark blue linen blazer with working buttonholes
A few nice italian silk pocket squares
An old 60's book on tailoring
BB Country Club argyle sweater
BB v-neck sweater

Post pics of the C&J Onslows? That's a nice find.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wcl
I did leave an odd pair of white levis that I suspected might have been fake. Very lightweight material and the construction seemed ok. There was a small label on the inside that was marked Made in Italy. I should have taken a picture, but I think the number on the leather patch was 410. Anyone know if I should go back for them? I know next to nothing about SW&D.

Do post a pic. Were they selvedge denim? Levis has had some obscure higher-end lines in the past, and if the leather patch was genuine leather, there's a good chance they aren't fake.

BBC

Reaction score
Haven't been thrifting since mid-last week, but had some time today

Oxxford Oxxfordsport charcoal flannels (pleated
frown.gif
) This is the third pair of Oxxford flannels I've found in the last two weeks, but they've all been pleated, which seems to make them virtually unsellable on the Sales Forum.
10 Pendleton and Viyella wool ties (some NWT)
1 LE bowtie
Isaia 100% cashmere sport coat (one spot on sleeve I'm currently trying to remove)

wertwert005.jpg

wertwert006.jpg

wertwert008.jpg

wertwert001.jpg

wertwert003.jpg

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC
Haven't been thrifting since mid-last week, but had some time today Oxxford Oxxfordsport charcoal flannels (pleated
frown.gif
) This is the third pair of Oxxford flannels I've found in the last two weeks, but they've all been pleated, which seems to make them virtually unsellable on the Sales Forum.

eBay them. I had a pair exactly like you describe. Sold for $40. Sadly, I lost the $40 to some scamming jackass who claimed he never recieved it when I provided the Customs Form # to him.
ffffuuuu.gif

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tale of two different victories;

On the way to the stores, I popped into a supermarket for a loaf of bread and came out with a case of Gonzalez Byass 30-year old soleras (Apóstoles, Del Duque, Noë) at $7.50/bottle instead of $35/bottle...

And then I found a lovely D'Avenza sportcoat in a light grey pick'n'pick fabric. It was tagged a 44R, but measures out at more like a 40R/L, so I'm happy!

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
eBay them. I had a pair exactly like you describe. Sold for $40. Sadly, I lost the $40 to some scamming jackass who claimed he never recieved it when I provided the Customs Form # to him.
ffffuuuu.gif

Sounds like eBay alright... mysterious stains and scratches will also appear!

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some recent finds(All are for trade or sale):
Vintage Made In Germany Portfolio Bag. I believe this bag is made by Bree, but I am not 100% sure.

matt22616

Reaction score
Do orphaned Brioni coats sell on ebay? It's a rather large blue and black microhoundstooth.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a NOS "Boardroom" model sportcoat from Hickey Freeman. Fully canvassed with lots of handsewn details and the original price tag of $695
laugh.gif

Only downer is a small snag but should be able to fix.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Find a thing or two she can wear or would like (high end sweater, nice purse, etc.). Her views likely will soften.

Congrats on the finds. Welcome to the grind.

Some will never come around. Not even a Chanel scarf got my wife interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics