• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
Fox River Red Heel "sock monkey" sock

Thanks J can you comment on the quality of these if you have experience?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterParker
(LS Beverly Hills is almost ready. Excited to receive my first pair of Aldens!)

P.P., These are the jumper boots in color 8 you've been waiting for, right? Post pics when you get them...

Dexter_

Reaction score
You sent it directly to Alden or did you go through the store you got them from? Hopefully you can get a replacement pair instead of going through the repair route.

Originally Posted by gnatty8
Minor nitpick, but I just got the replacement flex welt chukkas to the pair I bought that blew apart after one wear. The stitching they used to attach the sole to the welt is not white anymore, but a dark brown, which really changes the character of the shoe IMO. Look at the chukka in the picture quoted a few posts above this, and now picture the white stitching if it were brown (in effect, it blends in to the color of the sole/welt). Not a deal breaker for me, just disappointed, and not sure why on earth they'd make a change like this that impacts the aesthetics of the shoe so much. They went from being one of the nicest Aldens I have seen, to just a meh sort of shoe..
plain.gif

cwfritz11

Reaction score
Was on Wisconsin Ave in Washington DC today and had my ancient 990s in the car, the ones that got turned down by the factory restoration department, so I took them into Sky Valet and met Adam for the first time. Glad I did! At first we started talking about just replacing the heels, and he took a new 990 off the shelf for reference, so right away this was not an average shoe repair experience. He recommended using original factory bases and dovetail heels, and I liked the sound of that. As we talked about the condition of the soles, the welt, the cork, and the shank, I realized that Adam really seemed to understand what needs to be done and how to do it, and he had the ideal reference shoe right there. Lastly we discussed the stripping and refinishing of the uppers, and in the end I turned them over to him for a complete restoration. I don't have "before" pictures, unfortunately, but I'll post "afters" when they come back in a couple of weeks.

Anyone else have experience with extensive restoration performed at Sky Valet?

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Minor nitpick, but I just got the replacement flex welt chukkas to the pair I bought that blew apart after one wear. The stitching they used to attach the sole to the welt is not white anymore, but a dark brown, which really changes the character of the shoe IMO. Look at the chukka in the picture quoted a few posts above this, and now picture the white stitching if it were brown (in effect, it blends in to the color of the sole/welt). Not a deal breaker for me, just disappointed, and not sure why on earth they'd make a change like this that impacts the aesthetics of the shoe so much. They went from being one of the nicest Aldens I have seen, to just a meh sort of shoe..
plain.gif

i would return and ask for a replacement

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by neko30
what type are the black ones on the right?

thanks.

those are Plain toe bluchers on the barrie last, with alpine grain calfskin. those actually had crepe soles and were freakin awesome, except that they were a size 8 C and I needed a size 7.5 D (not the first time I made that mistake).

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
The latest acquisition: tan suede longwings from Leathersoul.

suedelongwing1.jpg

Damn those are nice.
I must not buy another pair of longwings.

Dexter_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Damn those are nice.

lol8[1].gif

Exactly how I felt when I saw this new Indy on SM.

1P_40568C.jpg

Looks like they opted for all eyelets instead of speed hooks since J. Gibert already has dibs on that design. The stitching on the toe seems to be unlike the hand stitched cordovan we usually see as well. I'd probably be all over it if it came in a C width. Instant gratification!

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dexter_
lol8[1].gif

Looks like they opted for all eyelets instead of speed hooks since J. Gibert already has dibs on that design. The stitching on the toe seems to be unlike the hand stitched cordovan we usually see as well. I'd probably be all over it if it came in a C width. Instant gratification!

Another difference is the 360 degree storm welt instead of 270.

Dexter_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
Another difference is the 360 degree storm welt instead of 270.

Good eye! Looks like some type of brown stitching as well for some contrast. Nice.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dexter_
You sent it directly to Alden or did you go through the store you got them from? Hopefully you can get a replacement pair instead of going through the repair route.

Originally Posted by michaelw
i would return and ask for a replacement

Went through the store I bought them from. I wore them so I wouldn't feel right asking them to exchange them now, just a little pissed that $400 later, I have shoes I probably won't end up wearing very much because I don't like them. No idea why Alden would have done this to what was a nice shoe.

Mac, see above, guess I am stuck with them now. I may just buy another pair somewhere else that look decent and sell these on B&S.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2j5cns7.jpg

cigar indy boots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads