• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Results of a healthy diet experiment and cost

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79

Actually, my main attraction to filet is the texture. A rare prime filet falls off the knife in such a manner that is hard to describe. Each bite has this naturally delicious buttery texture.

+1... I'm sorry but higher fat content does not mean that a meat is superior. Some of the best meats have very low fat content, such as venison. Filet is wonderful to work with and the clean, yet buttery taste is an absolute joy. It is my favorite cut of beef.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
+1... I'm sorry but higher fat content does not mean that a meat is superior. Some of the best meats have very low fat content, such as venison. Filet is wonderful to work with and the clean, yet buttery taste is an absolute joy. It is my favorite cut of beef.
Man, filet tastes like nothing to me, however nice its texture. I agree, though, that a cut need not be ***** to be good: I enjoy dirt-cheap-but-delicious top sirloin and top round as much as or more than a ***** porterhouse. To each their own, I guess.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

confused.gif
To each his own. Personally, I really don't like filet. I see the appeal, I just don't appreciate it.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll have to look into top sirloin. I am fairly cost conscious. Thanks for the tip.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
confused.gif
To each his own. Personally, I really don't like filet. I see the appeal, I just don't appreciate it.

I agree, and I'm honestly surprised sfield likes it so much. More than anything, I would rather die than forego salt.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I agree, and I'm honestly surprised sfield likes it so much. More than anything, I would rather die than forego salt.

Really? I know so many chefs that like it. It's very delicate. I have always like subtle flavors, and its texture is really amazing. Also remember that I'm not of the american opinion that steak is some sort of shrine and shouldn't be treated with anything but salt and pepper. I think the filet is a wonderful vehicle for several sauces etc...

My favorite red meats would be venison, berkshire pork (the leanest parts) and the filet. I like clean flavors. That's not to say that I don't love some very ***** cuts as well.

Cornellian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

+1. Salt is used in cooking to bring flavors together. Case in point... make a salad dressing. Combine olive oil and a vinegar. Whisk. Sample. You will taste olive oil and vinegar separately. Add salt and whisk. Resample. The difference in how these flavors combine on your tongue will be perceptible after the addition.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The amount of salt in well seasoned food would still be far less than what you'd find in most ****** restaurant food or overprocessed crap. People shouldn't be too afraid of salt.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
The amount of salt in well seasoned food would still be far less than what you'd find in most ****** restaurant food or overprocessed crap. People shouldn't be too afraid of salt.

+1. If I were adding all my own salt to dishes, I wouldn't worry about salt intake. The problem is when you get to buying premade foods or poor restaurants where high sodium is their replacement for real flavor.

P.S. if you have any particular places in ATL you think I should take a look at, shoot me a message.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am very sensitive to salt. The morning after an average restaurant meal containing ~2000mg of sodium my face can appear several lbs heavier and my fingers are swollen. The lack of "puffiness" I feel on a low sodium diet has become quite addictive.

Sunnydale

Reaction score
Congrats on the success you are having! Awesome to read the progress you have made.

I eat somewhat similar to you. I buy fresh foods and grass fed meats to cook with. I weigh 165lbs as of this morning with around 7% body fat the scale read. I'm going in the opposite direction though as I'm putting on weight from lifting. I hope to reach 170lbs in the next few months.

I pretty much avoid synthetic supplements myself with the exceptions of D3, and then the naturals - kelp which has iodine, and fish oil. I can't get enough of what I'm looking for of those items in my diet. Thinking about it, I also take the hormone melatonin at night for sleep. It works wonders for me.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Really? I know so many chefs that like it. It's very delicate. I have always like subtle flavors, and its texture is really amazing. Also remember that I'm not of the american opinion that steak is some sort of shrine and shouldn't be treated with anything but salt and pepper. I think the filet is a wonderful vehicle for several sauces etc...

My favorite red meats would be venison, berkshire pork (the leanest parts) and the filet. I like clean flavors. That's not to say that I don't love some very ***** cuts as well.

You are so Continental... No, I feel the same way as you about steak and seasoning/sauce, I just don't eat all that much steak in general, and have never been a big fan of filet. That said, I don't think I have eaten more than a few bites of filet in the last decade, so perhaps I should pick some up to see if you are right. When you say venison, do you mean Cervena (or similar,) or wild>

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
confused.gif

I'm a chef and I'm not a fan of filet mignon either. In most restaurants that I've worked, it's considered a ladies cut by the cooks/chefs. When a piece of meat is that expensive, yet usually requires a sauce to help it out, it makes we wonder why it's so expensive in the first place. I know it's tender, but my teeth work just fine.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I'm a chef and I'm not a fan of filet mignon either. In most restaurants that I've worked, it's considered a ladies cut by the cooks/chefs. When a piece of meat is that expensive, yet usually requires a sauce to help it out, it makes we wonder why it's so expensive in the first place. I know it's tender, but my teeth work just fine.

Well yes, I would agree that the filets at Outback are not of the best quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads