1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Results of a healthy diet experiment and cost

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by username79, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

LOL at all the haters in this thread.. [​IMG]

2. melwoesblvd

melwoesblvd Senior member

chilean sea bass is endangered. stop eating it man, youre ruining our oceans!@

3. fredfred

fredfred Senior member

Thanks for taking the time to post. Have you dropped the coffee for a couple weeks at any point? I'd like to know the before/after/during as to the effects of coffee on top of what you are doing.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Thanks for taking the time to post. Have you dropped the coffee for a couple weeks at any point? I'd like to know the before/after/during as to the effects of coffee on top of what you are doing.

What would you expect them to be? Would it have an effect?

5. darkdream

darkdream Senior member

That is what my regular food meals are like except I do not watch calories (probably eating much more than the recommended). My monthly spending is actually slightly higher than yours (this is not including the food I purchase for some lunches on long school days). I just find eating common American fatty foods not appetizing.

6. username79

username79 Senior member

chilean sea bass is endangered. stop eating it man, youre ruining our oceans!@

While this is probably sarcastic, I find this to be rather important. I try to only buy from the fishery in South Georgia which claims to be sustainable.

7. username79

username79 Senior member

Wow, that's pretty badass.

Also, if you want to add flavor (and save money) don't buy the filet. Just get a ribeye or sirloin. Much better flavor. Then again that adds more fat, but still..

I'm pleased to have a chef's approval.

Actually, my main attraction to filet is the texture. A rare prime filet falls off the knife in such a manner that is hard to describe. Each bite has this naturally delicious buttery texture.

8. pitboss12

pitboss12 Senior member

How much planning do you go through to cook all your foods and plan your menu for the day/week? Do you just cook the same 5-8 things and get into a routine. Also, how do you manage all the prep and planning with your job? I know that when I get home, I'm usually pretty beat.

9. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

I have admire the effort it takes to achieve that level of emaciation.

10. username79

username79 Senior member

How much planning do you go through to cook all your foods and plan your menu for the day/week? Do you just cook the same 5-8 things and get into a routine. Also, how do you manage all the prep and planning with your job? I know that when I get home, I'm usually pretty beat.
    My original goal was to learn how to cook. I took some cooking classes last year. Learned the basics of how to prepare foods, use herbs and spices, and bought a bunch of cookbooks. I've always been a food enthusiast and spent the last several years eating at various "landmark" restaurants around the world. Basically, my process goes like this: 1) Open cookbook. 2) Select recipe that looks appealing 3) Rewrite version of recipe that I consider "healthy" 4) When time permits, buy ingredients (lunch break, after work, etc.) 5) Cook it .. prep and cook usually takes an hour or less I try to cook something different every time. But found I have fallen into a cycle of fish/seafood during lunch. Salmon, Halibut, Chilean sea bass, Red Snapper, "Rockfish", Lobster. They are all very quick to prepare and this works for lunch. I can kill, split, clean, grill and be eating a lobster in ten minutes. Bought a thirty dollar Victorinox ten inches chef's knife and an "accusharp" for this purpose and recommend both. I've found that having a shaving sharp (at all times) knife of considerable size has really made prep easy. I used to get home from work tired but on this diet I am full of energy. I can pull a 10-12 hour work day, cook both lunch and dinner, go the gym, go for a five mile run, and still have trouble falling asleep.

11. SField

SField Senior member

Actually, my main attraction to filet is the texture. A rare prime filet falls off the knife in such a manner that is hard to describe. Each bite has this naturally delicious buttery texture.

+1... I'm sorry but higher fat content does not mean that a meat is superior. Some of the best meats have very low fat content, such as venison. Filet is wonderful to work with and the clean, yet buttery taste is an absolute joy. It is my favorite cut of beef.

12. Asch

Asch Senior member

+1... I'm sorry but higher fat content does not mean that a meat is superior. Some of the best meats have very low fat content, such as venison. Filet is wonderful to work with and the clean, yet buttery taste is an absolute joy. It is my favorite cut of beef.
    Man, filet tastes like nothing to me, however nice its texture. I agree, though, that a cut need not be fatty to be good: I enjoy dirt-cheap-but-delicious top sirloin and top round as much as or more than a fatty porterhouse. To each their own, I guess.

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

[​IMG] To each his own. Personally, I really don't like filet. I see the appeal, I just don't appreciate it.

14. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I'll have to look into top sirloin. I am fairly cost conscious. Thanks for the tip.

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG] To each his own. Personally, I really don't like filet. I see the appeal, I just don't appreciate it.
    I agree, and I'm honestly surprised sfield likes it so much. More than anything, I would rather die than forego salt.

16. SField

SField Senior member

I agree, and I'm honestly surprised sfield likes it so much. More than anything, I would rather die than forego salt.

Really? I know so many chefs that like it. It's very delicate. I have always like subtle flavors, and its texture is really amazing. Also remember that I'm not of the american opinion that steak is some sort of shrine and shouldn't be treated with anything but salt and pepper. I think the filet is a wonderful vehicle for several sauces etc...

My favorite red meats would be venison, berkshire pork (the leanest parts) and the filet. I like clean flavors. That's not to say that I don't love some very fatty cuts as well.

17. Cornellian

Cornellian Senior member

+1. Salt is used in cooking to bring flavors together. Case in point... make a salad dressing. Combine olive oil and a vinegar. Whisk. Sample. You will taste olive oil and vinegar separately. Add salt and whisk. Resample. The difference in how these flavors combine on your tongue will be perceptible after the addition.

18. SField

SField Senior member

The amount of salt in well seasoned food would still be far less than what you'd find in most shitty restaurant food or overprocessed crap. People shouldn't be too afraid of salt.

19. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

The amount of salt in well seasoned food would still be far less than what you'd find in most shitty restaurant food or overprocessed crap. People shouldn't be too afraid of salt.

+1. If I were adding all my own salt to dishes, I wouldn't worry about salt intake. The problem is when you get to buying premade foods or poor restaurants where high sodium is their replacement for real flavor.

P.S. if you have any particular places in ATL you think I should take a look at, shoot me a message.

20. username79

username79 Senior member

I am very sensitive to salt. The morning after an average restaurant meal containing ~2000mg of sodium my face can appear several lbs heavier and my fingers are swollen. The lack of "puffiness" I feel on a low sodium diet has become quite addictive.