• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do your friends dress

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One takes on the whole skinny lumberjack look, another idolises Kanye West and just bought the Louis Vuitton sneakers, the rest either throw on stuff their mothers/girlfriends bought for them or take the whole goth/emo thing to heart. My girl takes her fashion cues from Japanese girls in Shinjuku.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
One takes on the whole skinny lumberjack look, another idolises Kanye West and just bought the Louis Vuitton sneakers, the rest either throw on stuff their mothers/girlfriends bought for them or take the whole goth/emo thing to heart. My girl takes her fashion cues from Japanese girls in Shinjuku.

pg2g is your homie?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny how many of my roommates are putting a little more effort into their appearances. Contrary to SF belief, a lot of guys do care about how they dress... they just have a different look they aim for and they put as much time and effort as we do.

But there's a noticeable movement, at least in my social circle, to just improve. One big change is more roommates are using cologne, or are at least interest in it where as a year ago they would completely reject the idea of even wearing cologne (and of course, before now they never have...).

I even invited some to Gilt Group and we were all reading GQ together (not together-together). Aside from all the jokes about how lame advertisements are and how expensive everything is they looked at the recent article with JKISSSI in it and they actually respected the way he dressed and even how much his outfits cost.

Also, desert boots = EVERYWHERE. Not on my friends, but at least around campus.

Strombollii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Also, desert boots = EVERYWHERE. Not on my friends, but at least around campus.

Really? I've still got the only pair I've been able to find on campus down here.

My group of friends varies wildly in the way they dress. I've got a few who are still rocking the "hardcore" outfit (slim T's, skinny jeans/gym shorts/vans), a few who wear Polo constantly, one or two who could give a **** (cheap give-away tee, nasty jeans), and a few into the whole PacSun "skate" bullshit. Oh, and a European who wears nothing but Armani Exchange.

As for how much I spend, the only thing that ever gets mentioned is my raws ("Why don't you ever change your pants?" "They're raw... working on only a pair at a time..." "Are they expensive?" "Yeah, I spent x amount." "Holy ****!")

c00kz

Reaction score
I don't see desert boots on campus either. Have had a few faculty members comment on them, saying they wore them when they were teenagers and I think that's pretty cool. American Eagle "swag" is a theme here.

Scoundrel

Reaction score
LOL

My friends don't dress well. The sad thing is we are at ages (approaching 30) where we are more less set in our ways, so there seems to be no hope for 'em. I wouldn't bother suggesting anything. I have to dress down for those bastards.
censored.gif

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you even consider dressing down for your friends?

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've never seen a single pair of desert boots worn around here where i live. kind of makes me want to get a pair, maybe when winter comes.

in fact, i've only ever seen like 3 pairs of sperrys too.

BigRedBike

Reaction score
My good buddy....my wingman and partner in crime (at least before I moved away for grad school) dressed in logo t-shirts, baggy jeans and reeked of Aqua Di Gio when we went out to bars in L.A. He was more of a liability than an asset when trying to hit on girls, but I love the guy nonetheless. He's moved on to a more everyman/unfocused brooks brothers and burberry look. Polo shirts, ill fitting jeans and chunky boots. Not my style, but if he feels confident I got no complaints. He makes cracks at my hipster wear and I take it in stride. Ultimately your friends are your friends because of who they are and not because of what they wear (we aren't girls are we? Zing!...jk girls!).

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost universally terribly. Science kids...

Most of them are used to it by now. Some think I'm amazing for it, others think I'm silly. They definitely talk about it, both with me and behind my back. I always get comments, and quite a few compliments as well. I really stand out, as I am positively tiers above everyone else in my classes in the style department. I remember I was a few minutes late to class one day, and I was wearing my Yohji coat, and my friend was like "I'm pretty sure the entire class was staring at the way you were dressed for a good 15-20 seconds when you walked into class..."

One guy I know alluded to wanting tips on dressing better. I hope he's serious, because he... needs the help.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scoundrel
I don't want to be this guy:
n33400232_32825272_9668.jpg

I don't want to be any of them. But if you had to pick which one to be... And I'm absolutely worse than that if you compare my level of dress to my classmates. I've walked into class wearing a dior blazer, nice shirt, good jeans, and common projects or something... And sat down beside a guy wearing dad jeans, a t-shirt he got for free 4 years ago, and their favourite pair of nike/adidas/whatever running shoes (like the ones that are mesh and plastic) which are so old they're ripped off of the sole. Not like I wear a blazer to class commonly, but if the weather is right, wear it if you own it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads