• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do your friends dress

Scoundrel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
I don't want to be any of them. But if you had to pick which one to be...
I would just wear sneakers and a camp shirt (as opposed to shoes, dress shirt and sport coat) to a ball game, bar, gentleman's club or where ever. He'll/They'll be dressed similarly.

rjones416

Reaction score
they dress pretty decent. fitted clothes from like h&m, zara, levis and ralph lauren. one of them helped me to switch my style. i used to have the baggy jeans and hoodies thug look going on.

MortyGras

Reaction score
I have one friend who took my cue and is now dressed better than me, mainly because i'm a a broke ass motherfucker.
The rest doesn't seem to care.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife dresses fairly well. But nearly everyone else I know dresses far below even the most basic level of SF standards.

Other than my dickhead brother, nobody criticizes or comments much on what I wear. Occasionally I'll receive a positive comment from someone about one of my jackets. And if a piece I'm wearing is slightly unusual I'll often notice friends eying it over while I'm talking to them as if they're carefully studying it, but they never say a word about it.

Hehlol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexwgoody
In my group, it's me, my goth ninja all undercover wearing friend, The total hipster, the j-crew guy whom we've tried to convince into getting raw jawnz, but won't, the lacoste and Levi's guy that we don't really like, the guy who wears slippers and sweat shorts every day, every where, and my best friend who wears black AF1's with his red North Face jackets and Nautica khakis. Yes, I know we are a very diverse group of dressers.

Is this a joke? Are your friends really delineated by the brands they wear?

yesssir

Reaction score
Bumping this thread because I was close to creating the exact same one, but something told me to use the search function. All of my friends either don't care about fashion at all or still dress like I did when we were in HS, which consists of Jordans, AF1s, baggy jeans, and ill fitting shirts. I wish I had friends that were more into fashion.

Since joining here I've learned A LOT in less than a year so I think most people honestly don't know any better or don't care.

bowlie

Reaction score
generaly baggy cargo shorts and lumberjack shirts. basicaly whatever the guy on the H&M website wears

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All my home friends dress pretty well. Mostly fitted uniqlo/J.Crew type ****, sometimes with hipsterish fitteds/sweatshirts/kicks thrown in the mix. One of them is french and works for esquire and loves APC. Another one of them loves RL rugby and likes dressing like a grandpa.

My college friends dress like xkcd reading nerds.

epilepc

Reaction score
I live in greater Los Angeles area and most of my friends (age 17-18) dress "pretty well" I guess. It usually breaks down into four categories:

-nerd who doesn't care, wears baggy light wash jeans, vans slip-ons, and huge t-shirts. or baggy khakis and big polos.

-hypebeast who thinks they look good, wears nikes, wans, sagged skinny jeans, UO clothing, cardigans

-hipster who also thinks they look good, but better than everyone else, pretty much a hypebeast but wears raws, or selvage and button-ups

-moderate stylish lol. those who aren't so loud but have nice pieces and know how to put things together, are contemporary still and aren't douches.

Iono, fashion is a lot different from say five years ago when people were still wearing baggy jeans, shorts, shirts, and wore running shoes.

coldcreep

Reaction score
My lady dresses rad. Although, she doesn't wear designer ****. She has her own gothy style, which I love/appreciate.

My guy friends all dress nice, but they do not pay attention to detail that much AND won't spend money on quality. I only have one friend, who used to work at Marc Jacobs, who ALWAYS looks cool and appreciates fine clothing.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I went to a dude from work's place for a BBQ last friday, just people from my year of hire - without analysis, here is the rundown.

Dude 1: Polo, unidentifiable jeans, brown leather sandals with black socks. Though to be fair it was his place and I assume he just didn't want to be outside in socks.

Dude 2: Baggy-ish jeans, baggy-ish dress shirt with vertical stripes, square toed black shoes.

Dude 3: true religions, graphic tee, some sort of leather shoes.

Dude 4: true religions, graphic tee, running shoes (IIRC)

Girl 1: Pink sweater, white prada jeans

Girl 2: Oversized cardigan, tank top, black leggings

Me: Burgundy SNS stark, MMM denim, MMM gats

That is reasonably representative of what people wear. The girls, when they want to try, can look good, though never particularly interesting stuff, just prada/theory/etcetcetc that fits well. I say this working in a building that does a pretty half-decent buy of Lanvin men's (f/w and clothes); I'm not sure where that customer is, but apparently they exist.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I don't know if any of can relate but with friends/family I am the guy with "expensive clothes". I get asked constantly how much I paid for something. I hate that.

I can put everything in perspective with this:

Me wearing black MMM boots, MMM slim pants, and a T, simple

My girlfriends dad proceeds to tell me I need to buy "nicer" shoes, tells me he can take me down to mall cause he knows I like expensive things, then busts out his kenneth cole shoes and a conversation ensues on how nice the leather is on some random shoe. Of course I have to respect the man in his house. It's pretty frustrating sitting there listening and looking at my girl and her giving me that just take and I'll make it up to you later stare...this has been going on for 2 years now, btw

As for friends/girl. All mall stuff

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RegisDB9
I am the guy with "expensive clothes". I get asked constantly how much I paid for something. I hate that.

I used to be that guy and have toned it down since.

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Used to be a lot of G-star, but nowadays the craze is Superdry and Diesel, I think. Loud branding aside, my former roommate used to dress fairly well - proper fit and nice colours/patterns etc. The rest of my friends are lesser versions of him

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads