• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Proper Cloth shirt, Comparison to Nialma (With Pics)

furosemide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 599
Love this collar, which one is it? I was about to get another set of 4 Nialma shirts and wouldnt mind going for that collar on 2 of them.

This is the "widespread" collar

furosemide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by S. Paul
Great post and pics!! Thanks for being so thorough in your evaluations. Which collar did you select from Proper Cloth? Excellent shirts!

Thanks,
Sean Paul

The collar is the "Londoner." I believe it's their widest spread collar.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty impressive fit, particularly for a first order. Well done; I think I like the fit even a bit better than the fit on your Nialma shirt..

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good review, thanks for sharing. Great fit on the Nialma shirt.
fing02[1].gif

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 599
The Thomas Mason shirts come with thick MOP buttons but my last middle-ranged shirt came with thick plastic.

Exactly how thick are Nialma's MOP buttons? I've seen pictures of wafer thin ones. OTOH they were old posts.

As for PC's MOP buttons, the regular ones were surprisingly thick. As thick as Canali's buttons; I think its Canali's buttons. They're pretty darn thick, but they can get thicker. I think the upcharge is worth the price considering the price of 1) actual cost of sourcing the buttons, and 2) time to sew them on myself.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
furosemide, do you have any comments comparing MyTailor and Proper Cloth? Been planning on using MyTailor the next time they were in my neck of the woods but wouldn't mind another viable option.

sabvinnie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Exactly how thick are Nialma's MOP buttons? I've seen pictures of wafer thin ones. OTOH they were old posts.

As for PC's MOP buttons, the regular ones were surprisingly thick. As thick as Canali's buttons; I think its Canali's buttons. They're pretty darn thick, but they can get thicker. I think the upcharge is worth the price considering the price of 1) actual cost of sourcing the buttons, and 2) time to sew them on myself.

My thomas mason ones were very thick maybe 3.5mm+... I asked and they put them on my lower level cotton shirt for free. Never hurts to ask!

S. Paul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sabvinnie
My thomas mason ones were very thick maybe 3.5mm+...

I asked and they put them on my lower level cotton shirt for free. Never hurts to ask!

awesome - so you just sent your buttons in and PC made the shirt with them? That's great. It seemed that when PC first got going, there were comments about their MOP button option being "not very thick" but I recall Seph making a statement on here in recent months that the MOP buttons were going through an upgrade. Sounds like they have improved the thickness.

SP

evilbananas

Reaction score
Good review; thanks for posting this. I have been a loyal Tailorstore customer for the past 2 years, but still feel I am not getting a proper fit on my shirts. I will be trying both Nialma and Proper Cloth within the next couple of months.

sabvinnie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by S. Paul
awesome - so you just sent your buttons in and PC made the shirt with them? That's great. It seemed that when PC first got going, there were comments about their MOP button option being "not very thick" but I recall Seph making a statement on here in recent months that the MOP buttons were going through an upgrade. Sounds like they have improved the thickness.

SP

Sorry - that was with nialma. But they had nice thick shell buttons that are standard on the thomas mason but they included them for no charge on my other cheaper shirts...I just asked and they obliged! Not sure about PC.

furosemide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Odd I/O
furosemide, do you have any comments comparing MyTailor and Proper Cloth? Been planning on using MyTailor the next time they were in my neck of the woods but wouldn't mind another viable option.
Two issues about my assessment of MyTailor: 1) I never got fitted by one of their traveling tailors. All my measurements were done on my body by myself and a special lucky helper. 2) I got 2, maybe 3 shirts from them. It was probably about 2-3 years ago. They were probably the second online MTM company I used, so I'm sure there was a lot experimenting with the fits. All this being said, I never got a great fit with the MyTailor shirts, and the fact that I can't recall how many shirts I got from them reflects the fact that they are out of my rotation and likely hanging on the rack at a Salvation Army somewhere in Chicago. And while they do have some cheaper options, my experience is that it is not worth it. To me, a good online MTM experience relies HEAVILY upon finding a company that can give you a consistent fit each time out. This is especially important with online MTM because there's not going to be a return policy unless there was an egregious mistake. I want to be able to go to the site, order new shirts according to my previous measurements, and not have to worry about if the sleeves will be too long, or the torso to loose, etc. Once I get a good fit, I want it duplicated on different shirts. Thus far, I have found Nialma to be the most consistent in fit. And after a few more shirts ordered from Proper Cloth, I will be able to speak to their consistency as well. Has anyone else gotten several shirts from Proper Cloth on different occasions and can speak to their consistency in fit?
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Exactly how thick are Nialma's MOP buttons? I've seen pictures of wafer thin ones. OTOH they were old posts. As for PC's MOP buttons, the regular ones were surprisingly thick. As thick as Canali's buttons; I think its Canali's buttons. They're pretty darn thick, but they can get thicker. I think the upcharge is worth the price considering the price of 1) actual cost of sourcing the buttons, and 2) time to sew them on myself.
Yeah, I can definitely echo this. I did not get the MOP buttons on the Proper Cloth shirt, but their normal buttons are really thick. I mean really thick. They are nice! Plus you can choose different colored buttons with no additional cost.
Originally Posted by evilbananas
Good review; thanks for posting this. I have been a loyal Tailorstore customer for the past 2 years, but still feel I am not getting a proper fit on my shirts. I will be trying both Nialma and Proper Cloth within the next couple of months.
Yeah, I really liked Tailorstore for a while. They have a lot of cheaper options. However, as you well might expect, the cheaper options are, well...cheaper. I stopped using Tailorstore because I didn't feel like I got good quality fabrics and the fit was never good enough to my tastes. How much money do you keep throwing at it before you go somewhere else? In my case, a decent amount!

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re: furo

Consistent enough for me not to have strayed to any other online shirt maker, even though the prices at nialma and mytailor are slightly better due to lower labor costs.

Disappointed with the mytailor story as I was thinking about them because their fabric selection is so vast and their regular prices pretty good. However, the fact that they have so many cheaper fabrics made me wary. That and they don't get perfect reviews on the forums.

Decided against trying out Nialma because the only way to get a good deal is to buy 4 shirts, and there are not four patterns in the black label line I particularly fancy. That and I was put off by the paper thin button pictures, but now that the button issue is taken care of, I'm going to give them some more thought.

But honestly, I'll probably stick with propercloth and my local guy. PC seems to strive to keep prices competitive. They've also got the perfect fit thing. Don't see much reason to risk messing up my measurements.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads