• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Proper Cloth shirt, Comparison to Nialma (With Pics)

sabvinnie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
re: furo Consistent enough for me not to have strayed to any other online shirt maker, even though the prices at nialma and mytailor are slightly better due to lower labor costs. Disappointed with the mytailor story as I was thinking about them because their fabric selection is so vast and their regular prices pretty good. However, the fact that they have so many cheaper fabrics made me wary. That and they don't get perfect reviews on the forums. Decided against trying out Nialma because the only way to get a good deal is to buy 4 shirts, and there are not four patterns in the black label line I particularly fancy. That and I was put off by the paper thin button pictures, but now that the button issue is taken care of, I'm going to give them some more thought. But honestly, I'll probably stick with propercloth and my local guy. PC seems to strive to keep prices competitive. They've also got the perfect fit thing. Don't see much reason to risk messing up my measurements.
If you are on a good thing stick to it I guess. Most of these online stores keep loads of other fabrics offline so for example if you wanted something in particular from the black label (??) say I am sure you could enquire and see what they have.

oroy38

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furosemide
The collar is the "Londoner." I believe it's their widest spread collar.

I was on the verge of ordering some shirts from Proper Cloth but decided my tuition bill was more important, but in regards to the collar:

The Londoner is the widest spread they offer on their site (about 6"), but if you email Seph, he can have it made with up to a 7" spread if you so desire.

furosemide

Reaction score
Quick update:

I was browsing, and have noticed that Nialma has completely re-done their website. There also seem to be more options now than before (more collars, darts in back, etc.). Makes it more tempting, but alas the fabrics have not changed and I can't find any in the Thomas Mason silverline that I would like.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furosemide
Quick update: I was browsing, and have noticed that Nialma has completely re-done their website. There also seem to be more options now than before (more collars, darts in back, etc.). Makes it more tempting, but alas the fabrics have not changed and I can't find any in the Thomas Mason silverline that I would like.
Have you ever purchased a shirt with the 'extra widespread' nialma have on their new website? I did not spot that on their old website, but have wanted to try such a collar for a while.

Freqnseverity

Reaction score
This thread has been dead for some time, but I'd like to resurrect it. Now that it's been 15 months, does anyone have a change in opinion on Proper Cloth and Nialma shirts? I am looking at buying MTM shirts for the first time, and this is the most recent review on either of these companies.

I read that Proper Cloth moved their manufacturing to Malaysia. Can anyone speak to a difference in quality since the move? Many people on this thread said Nialma seemed to improve their quality in the year prior to these posts. Did those shirts hold up as initially expected?

How difficult are these shirts to care for? That is, how prone are they to wrinkling? I've always purchased non-iron shirts before. I'm not an expert at ironing, so I may have trouble if there is a steep learning curve to getting these things ready for the day. Also, do you guys machine wash or dry clean these shirts?

Let me know if I need to start a new thread. Perhaps I need to start multiple threads. I'm not sure what the etiquette is on here as I am new. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you revived this thread just in time.

I just purchased a PC shirt a couple of days ago on the assumption that their shirts were still manufactured in NYC, however it is only today that I realized that they're made in Malaysia. I know this isn't an issue for some people but for me, there's now less incentive to go with Proper Cloth. If these shirts are going to be made in Asia, I'd rather go with NiAlma since they're cheaper and they provide more options.

le.gentleman

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I just posted a review of my NiAlma MTM shirt and 1 week turnaround time sounds amazing. Also, the fit is not as good, as in the pics, although I provided them with pictures of my posture.
I have never tried cottonwork but many others. so we'll see how they perform.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that nobody has discussed these two shirt makers for a while. After looking into Nialma a bit more, I'm very likely going to switch from MyTailor. The 4 for 3 deal seems like a great value for their black label stuff and their website is much nicer than MyTailor's.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picture comparison with some observations

Just pictures: Nialma v. Propercloth

You can draw your own conclusions. They both offer Thomas Mason fabric. I think PC uses more measurements. The forearm is a little thinner on my Proper Cloth shirts.

The buttons are pretty similar.

Nialma is cheaper with their deals.

Propercloth uses some double needle stitching on the side seams. Nialma does not.

GuP

Reaction score
Any recent PC purchases and comments on their quality?

I am leaning towards PC b/c I can physically get measured at their NYC location.

Did the majority of you who have used PC in the past just take self measurements or go into the physical location to get measured?

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any recent PC purchases and comments on their quality?

I am leaning towards PC b/c I can physically get measured at their NYC location.

Did the majority of you who have used PC in the past just take self measurements or go into the physical location to get measured?

Whenever I order shirts over the internet, I always send them shirt measurements. Chops out a lot of variables. Unless they mess up, I always get a shirt that fits. Maybe not perfectly the first time, but close enough.

PC and Nialma's 5 for 4 deal offer the best bang for the dollar in internet MTM from all those I've tried. Nialma's probably the better value since the TM fabrics are cheaper to begin with and with 20% off....

GuP

Reaction score

Whenever I order shirts over the internet, I always send them shirt measurements. Chops out a lot of variables. Unless they mess up, I always get a shirt that fits. Maybe not perfectly the first time, but close enough.

PC and Nialma's 5 for 4 deal offer the best bang for the dollar in internet MTM from all those I've tried. Nialma's probably the better value since the TM fabrics are cheaper to begin with and with 20% off....

I hear ya.

Since I am not too far from the brick and mortar location of PC, I can venture in and get measured. Now it is yet to be seen whether getting physically measured by a shirt maker will produce any better results than self measuring your favorite shirt and plugging in the numbers online. Who's to say the person measuring you will actually give two ***** and perform a proper fitting...many variables come into play.

What is this 5 for 4 deal you speak of at PC? I do not see it on the PC website. All is see is $25off your first order promotion.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hear ya.

Since I am not too far from the brick and mortar location of PC, I can venture in and get measured. Now it is yet to be seen whether getting physically measured by a shirt maker will produce any better results than self measuring your favorite shirt and plugging in the numbers online. Who's to say the person measuring you will actually give two ***** and perform a proper fitting...many variables come into play.

What is this 5 for 4 deal you speak of at PC? I do not see it on the PC website. All is see is $25off your first order promotion.

Nialma has the 5 for 4 deal. PC is $25 off or whatnot. They keep changing it. Link in the sig for anyone is trying to find it.

Why not just bring in your best fitting shirt to their B&M location and tell them what you like about it? They can do both and get as close as possible to what you want in the first try. Probably not going to be 100% perfect, but should be close.

GuP

Reaction score

Nialma has the 5 for 4 deal. PC is $25 off or whatnot. They keep changing it. Link in the sig for anyone is trying to find it.

Why not just bring in your best fitting shirt to their B&M location and tell them what you like about it? They can do both and get as close as possible to what you want in the first try. Probably not going to be 100% perfect, but should be close.

You read my mind. I was planning on the same. Will keep you posted.

Now to find a shirt from the closet that fits the best....

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say that I got four of their Thomas Mason Black Label shirts and the quality is terrible. I question whether they're even Thomas Mason.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads