• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Fiddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by splattered
Received the Amber today and they are beautiful! They are a slightly darker brown than i thought they would be but i still love em... i dig the color variations around the boot too. THESE are what i was hoping the Wolverine Montgomery was going to be like concerning leather quality and color. And they even ended up being cheaper. They scuff super easy though... i thought i saw something on the side of the boot and went to swipe it off and put a fingernail mark in it which made the leather lighter where it was scraped... sheesh. I mean these are pretty much work boots but i didnt think they'd be THAT easy to scuff up. So being that i'm in socal should i bother with leather conditioner/sealer etc or just wear and enjoy em as is?

Rub the mark and it will magically disappear.
cheers.gif

illumin8em

Reaction score
Received the Amber today and they are beautiful! They are a slightly darker brown than i thought they would be but i still love em... i dig the color variations around the boot too. THESE are what i was hoping the Wolverine Montgomery was going to be like concerning leather quality and color. And they even ended up being cheaper. They scuff super easy though... i thought i saw something on the side of the boot and went to swipe it off and put a fingernail mark in it which made the leather lighter where it was scraped... sheesh. I mean these are pretty much work boots but i didnt think they'd be THAT easy to scuff up. So being that i'm in socal should i bother with leather conditioner/sealer etc or just wear and enjoy em as is?

if you do treat them they can look like this
bord20100315_1.jpg

splattered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by illumin8em

Nnnnnice. What exactly was done to them???

Also, i've written Redwing and they told me to send back to my retailer so the retailer could get them fixed or get me a new pair but i explained that its zappos and they have no more on order so they gave me their returns info and said to mail the Hawthorne in. I'm glad i didn't send em back to Zapp yet cause i really dig them. What kind of additional optional care would be appropriate for that type of leather, if any?

illumin8em

Reaction score
Nnnnnice. What exactly was done to them???
. simply heat Obenauf's LP on top of a warm stove or something, (i heat mine till the top is liquid) then dip your fingers in and apply, and rubb it in thoroughly. Done. Be careful when heating, i forgot mine and melted a small hole in the bottom of the container a couple of weeks ago .

ispace

Reaction score
simply heat Obenauf's LP on top of a warm stove or something, (i heat mine till the top is liquid) then dip your fingers in and apply, and rubb it in thoroughly. Done. Be careful when heating, i forgot mine and melted a small hole in the bottom of the container a couple of weeks ago.

Does this stuff stain the inside of your jeans/pants?

the_state

Reaction score
Just saw these 2 new styles @ David Z in NYC. Makes me really regret getting the tan rough-out Wabashas from J Crew a few months ago...

rw-9185-1.jpg

rw-9187-1.jpg

SC Widders

Reaction score
This may have been answered already, however with the Red Wings, whats the longativity like on these boots? In other words, how does it wear overtime?

illumin8em

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ispace
Does this stuff stain the inside of your jeans/pants?
i have not had a problem with it, but that not to say it can't happen

enigma77

Reaction score
These look more like 1000 Mile boots than regular GTs do. Down to the last detail, really...

Originally Posted by Roguls
Check out these GT-esque boots. NOS from eBay. I wonder what vintage they are...

They are more comfortable than my GTs, but they are an E width (not available with GTs).

img2018x.jpg

img2020n.jpg

img2021jk.jpg

img2022y.jpg

img2027oq.jpg

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
You rarely need to treat your Red Wings with Obernaufs or similar products - not saying that you shouldn't treat them at all, but you can wear them for a year or even a couple of years before treating them. I think the leather is oil tanned, so the leather is rich as is, but with wear, heat and damp they might need a bit of TLC once in a while.

For your viewing pleasure. Some different Red Wings (and other work boots). I still haven't found the blog/website that can help you date your Red Wings, but I'll keep looking.

http://www.madeinworld.co.jp/index.p...ag)/RED%20WING

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simontuntelder
You rarely need to treat your Red Wings with Obernaufs or similar products - not saying that you shouldn't treat them at all, but you can wear them for a year or even a couple of years before treating them. I think the leather is oil tanned, so the leather is rich as is, but with wear, heat and damp they might need a bit of TLC once in a while.

For your viewing pleasure. Some different Red Wings (and other work boots). I still haven't found the blog/website that can help you date your Red Wings, but I'll keep looking.

http://www.madeinworld.co.jp/index.p...ag)/RED%20WING

Great site; found my boots: #565. I wish they made GT's in an E width; these fit better.

rbny

Reaction score

bord20100315_1.jpg

Now THAT is an awesome color for those boots!

splattered

Reaction score
^^I agree.... though i dig the natural amber color too. I have never used Obernaufs though so i'm wary of doing so on semi-expensive boots that are brand new to me :/

I read a lot of the reviews for the Iron Ranger on Zappos and the biggest complaint people seem to have is that they have no tread on the bottom... people realize this BEFORE purchasing them, right? I mean really... these are obviously more casual boots. Not meant to be worn treking around in the snow etc, right? Thats what the other models are for... though they lack the cap toe i guess *shrug*

illumin8em

Reaction score
^^I agree.... though i dig the natural amber color too. I have never used Obernaufs though so i'm wary of doing so on semi-expensive boots that are brand new to me :/

I read a lot of the reviews for the Iron Ranger on Zappos and the biggest complaint people seem to have is that they have no tread on the bottom... people realize this BEFORE purchasing them, right? I mean really... these are obviously more casual boots. Not meant to be worn treking around in the snow etc, right? Thats what the other models are for... though they lack the cap toe i guess *shrug*

I really do not see anything that you should be concerned about. It really does nothing but protect the boot (both water, and wear), and darken it a little. If you have the Amber Harness color, then you can notice that the leather has a slightly greasy/moist look and feel to it. Obenauf's would just add to this effect. You are simply treating the leather, not applying a polish. Treating the leather is something that you will want to do anyways, if you want your boots to last for as long as possible. Not to say the boots won't last without it.

Conditioning them is just like applying moisturizer and sunblock to your skin to protect it from daily wear and tear, and harsh UV rays. You and your boots will look better in the years to come than those who failed to take precautions... blah blah blah

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads