• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conne's food log

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Conne, you're bitching about your weight in this threak and bitching (bragging) about a hangover in another? You see any irony in there?
That was a joke. I haven't been drunk in a couple of weeks now. I ordered a small pizza. I've been good lately, time for a reward.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
lolwut

They're native to the region...

You ever been to an olive orchard? They didn't exactly grow in neat little rows by themselves...

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I ordered a small pizza. I've been good lately, time for a reward.

Hopefully this, too, is a joke.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
You ever been to an olive orchard? They didn't exactly grow in neat little rows by themselves...

And pigs don't naturally live in pens.

The cuisine developed around olive oil because that's what was there. The trees aren't planted specifically for their flavor in the objective sense, they're planted because they grow easily and the oil has a nice flavor. It's not a 'better fat' than others, it's primarily just plentiful so the cuisines where olive trees grow like easily like in the meridionale regions make more use of it than say, butter in settentrionale areas or France, or lard in Germany.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
And pigs don't naturally live in pens. The cuisine developed around olive oil because that's what was there. The trees aren't planted specifically for their flavor in the objective sense, they're planted because they grow easily and the oil has a nice flavor. It's not a 'better fat' than others, it's primarily just plentiful so the cuisines where olive trees grow like easily like in the meridionale regions make more use of it than say, butter in settentrionale areas or France, or lard in Germany.
There are a great many things which are indigenous to the Mediterranean, many of which could be grown very easily on the same scale as olive oil. There reasons for its pervasive use are not simply a matter of convenience. People are obviously going to use what is available, but that isn't at all a qualitative judgment of it. I am not a food science expert in the least but I've seen a lot of studies indicating that olive oil is a better fat than animal fat.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
There are a great many things which are indigenous to the Mediterranean, many of which could be grown very easily on the same scale as olive oil. There reasons for its pervasive use are not simply a matter of convenience. People are obviously going to use what is available, but that isn't at all a qualitative judgment of it.

Yes, but the origins of the cuisine developed before many of those plants could actually be used for their oils to the same degree that olives could be used to harvest their oils. This restriction developed the cuisine; they had olive oil so foods which were indigenous but not gustatorily agreeable to their main sources of sustenance did not become part of the cuisine. Look at the cuisine of a place like Naples compared to Milan, the short history of tomatoes in Italy, etc.

I am not a food science expert in the least but I've seen a lot of studies indicating that olive oil is a better fat than animal fat.
It depends on the animal and what it ate. I'm not saying olive oil is in any way bad (personally, I have it more often than any other fat by far), but eating olive oil but shunning other fats just doesn't make sense to me. There are other 'better' oils using the Omega-3:Omega-6 ratio and unsaturated:saturated fat ratios as arbiters, but I don't think you'll want to put cod liver oil or -- more reasonably -- canola oil on your arugula. And for that matter, I don't put olive oil in my mayonnaise or fry with walnut oil.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

It depends on the animal and what it ate. I'm not saying olive oil is in any way bad (personally, I have it more often than any other fat by far), but eating olive oil but shunning other fats just doesn't make sense to me. There are other 'better' oils using the Omega-3:Omega-6 ratio and unsaturated:saturated fat ratios as arbiters, but I don't think you'll want to put cod liver oil or -- more reasonably -- canola oil on your arugula. And for that matter, I don't put olive oil in my mayonnaise or fry with walnut oil.

I certainly don't shun other types of fats, but remember the other half of my argument about eating that says that you should never feel like you're giving anything up. I think that olive oil strikes a great balance between health (though it is not the ultimate in what is healthy) and lifestyle/sustainability.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Can we get back to bashing Conne, both directly and indirectly? kthanxbai

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today, 3/9

3 scrambled eggs
1 slice toast w/peanut butter

1 banana

Peanut butter and jam on multigrain
Handful of organic tortilla chips w/ Newman's salsa (pretty good btw)

PowerBar Protein Plus (working out shortly)

Chicken breast over spinach w/olive oil and balsamic
Some more chips and salsa
Water and coffee

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today, 3/9

3 scrambled eggs

1 banana

Stop buying this ****.

Re: Salsa. No, it's really not good. It tastes like sweetened tomato paste with cayenne pepper added.

And I hate having to say this, but really, you eat almost no protein and almost all your carbohydrates come from sugar.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Today, 3/9

3 scrambled eggs

1 banana

rolleyes.gif

Let me guess: You also worked out for an entire hour on your sauna belt today.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One thing you're gonna want to take note of is that slapping "organic" on to a food like chips or bread or ho-hos doesn't make it healthy. Don't kid yourself.

There are few, if any, protein bars readily available that aren't chocked full of sugar, carbs, and saturated fat. Glorified candy bars with an oomph of (suspect) protein. I think the difference between a Snickers bar and one of those PowerBars is like a half gram of saturated fat, 10 grams of sugar and 20 grams of protein. No difference in carbs.

But whatever. Based on your food log, you'll get a reward pizza by Friday because you were so disciplined to eat protein candy bars and some eggs.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well then what the **** am I supposed to do for protein? Eat 5 chicken breasts every hour?

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could always refer to the myriad of topics asking for answers to such questions that you started:

6/12/2007: I'm getting fat
12/19/2007: Starting a diet. Foods to avoid
12/19/2008: Help me with exercise/eating plan
10/29/2009: What should I/shouldn't I be eating?

Quotes from the original post of these threads:

I'm about 5'8" and my weight has recently shot up to an uncomfortable 165 lbs. I would like to lose ten by, say, March.
My ultimate goal is to lose maybe 10 lbs. and bulk up.
This is what I want to do: lose about 10 lbs.
And from the first post of this thread:

I need to drop 10 pounds minimum
Are you noticing any patterns? You've been trying to lose "10 pounds" for nearly THREE years. You don't have the excuse of not knowing what exercises to do or a guideline of foods you should probably be eating or not eating. You've started multiple threads explicitly asking these things. And people have explicitly answered these things.

The guideposts of diet and exercise have not changed in three years. And clearly, neither has your personal approach to either. Please listen to some of these people and show some discipline so we don't need to read about you trying to lose these same damn pounds in September. I've struggled with weight loss in the past. You get to a point where you need to evaluate what you're doing and be real with yourself about what is and isn't working, even if that means weeding out some of your "comforts." If you aren't willing to do that, then accept your body for what it is and stop wasting everyone's time.

Your posting history suggests you're going to keep posing these same questions in the hopes that eventually, someone will tell you that you can lose those 10 pounds by drinking booze, eating chocolate desserts every day, and doing no real exercise. Go re-read those threads you started and quit acting so aloof about what you should be eating.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads