• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agent J
I'm starting an internship at an investment banking firm. Need two suits, some shirts, ties. I'm on a tight budget: don't want to spend over $1,000. I like slim fits, skinny ties, etc. I'm not sure what the appropriate "investment bank" colors are, so looking for some recommendations. Links, pictures, etc. are all welcome.
at a high level, Ibanks are pretty conservative... so fitted/slim is better then skinny/fashion. watch for that line carefully... let the quality of your output speak for you, instead of trying to compensate for looking like a flashy douche. where you located? (city, country) - just so I know if I should recomend brooks (usa) or lewin (uk) or chan (china?) or whatever I'd really say be careful about the "cheap" places like H&M, Zara, etc. Guys who wear suits every day can spot "mock" suits a mile away. I'd suggest something like brooks brothers, or if you're in uk check some of the lower end savile row places. colors, I'd suggest navy, maybe pinstripe, and charcoal, maybe subtle pattern like a crosshatch or a bit of texture. for budget, I think you could find a 2 for $900-1000 deal somewhere for something that's a decent suit. Ties are easy to find for like $30-50 off the buy and sell here or ebay (careful) or clearance racks at higher end department stores. There's no need to spend $100 on a tie. Go for textured but simple ones like navy, red+blue repp stripes, etc. your ties is your personality, and as an intern at an Ibank, you're not expected or welcome to having one. shirts, plain white maybe patterned like a herringbone or twill, get 2. then light blue, white with blue stripe, etc. again, BB's had extra slim fit shirts, 3 for $200. they're a good step up from cheap mall brands but they're not designer or high end. hope that's a start.

Agent J

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the response.

I'm located on the East Coast (USA). Going to be interning at a small ibanking firm (non-Bulge Bracket). Unlike the epitomical ibank intern, I'm in high school, NOT college. Not sure how much that changes things, but I thought I'd throw that out there. I'm going shopping tomorrow at South Park. Here's a link to the store directory: http://www.simon.com/mall/malldirectory.aspx?id=788

derv

Reaction score
What is the name for the piece of furniture that is designed as a suit coat hanger and pants hanger with a small table for your wallet, money clip, etc?

Ideally found in an office, but I don't know what they are called.

Thanks!

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by derv
What is the name for the piece of furniture that is designed as a suit coat hanger and pants hanger with a small table for your wallet, money clip, etc?

Thanks!

Good Sir, I believe you are referring to a Valet Stand. Here is an example:

http://www.stacksandstacks.com/valet...id=85&sku=3073

Regards,
EZ

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agent J
Thank you very much for the response.
I'm located on the East Coast (USA). Going to be interning at a small ibanking firm (non-Bulge Bracket). Unlike the epitomical ibank intern, I'm in high school, NOT college. Not sure how much that changes things, but I thought I'd throw that out there. I'm going shopping tomorrow at South Park. Here's a link to the store directory: http://www.simon.com/mall/malldirectory.aspx?id=788

Bananna Republic, check clearance section for some ties and shirts. Their slimmer higher end line Monogram is decent but pretty overpriced.

I've heard Beneton has some nice slim fit shirts

Best bet is Brooks brothers. Extra slim fit shirts or regular ones, get the deal 3 for $200, fit on their ties and buy online or ebay if cheaper. I'd suggest their classic striped blue, red, gold thing. as mentioned, probably their suits, 2 for 1 sales happen a few times a year. try on the Fitzgerald (slimmest). Also consider getting a navy blazer for more casual days or to dress up slacks and a shirt incase you don't have a suit with you.

I don't know dillards, don't they have clearance/cheap stuff?
Have some strawberry cheesecake for me at the cheesecake factory
Cole Haan might have some sort of shoe...
I head Express has really good slim fit stuff. Check online, I think many discount websites sell their stuff. check the B&S here and other places.
Believe it or not, GAP has some pretty solid slim shirts and some merino pants. Maybe pick up a few sweaters or cardigans.

Check clearance at Macy's, nordstrum, and Neiman's. Also just fit stuff on so you know which brands and cuts work and then buy online for cheaper.

dunno what's in ralph lauren exactly. sales on Black label shirts here all the time so fit them on. Nice slim ties there too.

wow, that's a HUGE mall. Anyway, the above are probably your best options

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macintosh
What do ounces stand for in jeans? What difference does it make? What should I look for?
Ounces refer to how heavy the denim is, ie how thick and dense it is. why does that matter? well generally the higher the ounce, the thicker the fabric (more durable) and it also means that it will probably stretch slower with time, so it'll break in for longer. my 7FAM are thin and papery, ie low ounce denim. They stretched out quickly, and tore easily. something like pure blood japan or whatever (those repro japanese things) are super tough, takes ages to break in, and will eventually get really good fades/whiskers. Something like APC is a good compromise. Much better then the average mall brand jean but not ridiculous/obscure I'm sure I'm generalizing and only have a vague notion of what I'm talking about. Posting this same question in the street wear and denim forum's ask a question thread will get you a more specific answer...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
1. So I like fitted/slim jackets (suit or sportscoats) and I think I have a bit of a butt and thighs, though otherwise quite slim. I generally buy double vents and they often "kick" out. Would it be weird to sew them down onto the jacket?

2. I just bought a bunch of OCBD... can these be worn with ties? I'm having trouble understanding the difference between button down collars that I see in the WAYWT threads worn with ties and big fat collar rolls and normal slim OCBD's, is there a difference? I was just reading somewhere that button downs are considered casual shirts, like the t-shirts of button ups and are not tie appropriate?

mogultv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
A businessman will match his sock to his trouser color.
A gentleman will match his socks to his mood.

That is a great quote and so true. Alan Flusser agrees, I believe.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by derv
Thanks!

I call them a valet stand. They are a great thing to air your clothes out over night instead of putting them straight into the wardrobe or to get your outfit out and ready to go for the next morning.

I think the best ones are the ones with a seat so you can sit down to put on socks and shoes and trousers without that occasionally flopping hopping around on one leg when you get off balance and eventually fall arse over tit.

You can get very very cheap ones at some cheap stores. They perform just as well as expensive ones and are often indistinguishable. Well except those cheap metal "gold" ones.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
1. So I like fitted/slim jackets (suit or sportscoats) and I think I have a bit of a butt and thighs, though otherwise quite slim. I generally buy double vents and they often "kick" out. Would it be weird to sew them down onto the jacket?

C'mon, you'd fit in whnay.'s coatpocket. But sewing down the vents wouldn't look good. You'd either just be sewing down the corners and the rest of the flap would bulge; or you'd be converting it to a ventless jacket, which would still be too tight across the seat. F'd either way. See if your tailor can let the jacket out a bit around the seat.

2. I just bought a bunch of OCBD... can these be worn with ties? I'm having trouble understanding the difference between button down collars that I see in the WAYWT threads worn with ties and big fat collar rolls and normal slim OCBD's, is there a difference?
OCBD+tie is sweetness. Get super zany and throw a safety pin in there. Discover whether you like the look or not. Dunno if there is a general difference in OCBDs when it comes to the tie vs. no tie collar design; you'll probably just find all sorts of variances in terms of fit across makers and models regardless. I order my OCBDs with the primary intention of wearing them without a tie, but I have no compunctions to tying one up. I can be a good look IMO.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ Thanks Binge.
one of these days I'll get round to posting pics. probably the day after I actually find a job and dress up for it, lol.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I just bought a bunch of OCBD... can these be worn with ties? I'm having trouble understanding the difference between button down collars that I see in the WAYWT threads worn with ties and big fat collar rolls and normal slim OCBD's, is there a difference? I was just reading somewhere that button downs are considered casual shirts, like the t-shirts of button ups and are not tie appropriate?

OCBD + tie in US = fine/popular
OCBD + tie in SF = love
OCBD + tie in UK = dumb

You're in CAN, so just pick one... it doesn't matter

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads