• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guitar and amp purchase

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
this thread is breaking my goddamn brain.

go to a store, find a guitar you like and buy the ******* thing. do the same with the amp. get a tube amp and stay in the 30 watt or under range unless you're gonna be somewhere you can crank the ******. a twin reverb is a great amp but it's loud and heavy. look into a deluxe reverb.

pedals are a whole different story. yeah, you like rock, but what kind? whose tone do you like and want to emulate?

That's been asked and answered already.

And no, I won't just go to a store and buy the ******* thing. The process of choosing and anticipation is part of the enjoyment. The act of buying is actually the least enjoyable part of the process, IMO.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amp: Marshall Class 5 (5 watt tube amp) or Orange Tiny Terror (7 watts) - I think these'll check in ~$400 , sound good with gain turned up a bit for the grunge/rock thing.

Guitar: whatever feels good to you, the original Les Paul you posted is ugly, IMO but that's a taste issue. If you want quality but wish to save a few bucks, you can get a Made in Japan Tokai or Edwards Les Paul for $1000-1500 - available via Ebay or Rakuten, but you'll have to put in some leg work figuring out model numbers and what you want.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're old and playing just for fun, so I'd ignore recommendations for larger tube amps - big-ass Marshalls are relatively inexpensive (even semi-vintage ones), but playing in your house you'll never be able to turn it up past 2.

5-watt tube amps will get extremely loud when cranked, but you get to turn it up a bit more before the wifey or neighbors starts throwing a fit.

As an alternative to a tube amp, the Vox Valvetronix line sound good across a wide spectrum, and aside from the modeling/master volume tricks that let you get a good overdriven/distorted sound at lower volumes, there's a built-in attenuator on the back so you can turn it way down if you want.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yeah, I do not need a stage quality amp. The odds of me ever playing for someone other than my wife's cats are slim to none.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
a 10 watt tube amp isn't significantly quieter than a 100 watt tube amp. The biggest difference I've noticed is gain. A 10 watt amp will break up and show gain very early on while a 100 watt amp will hold its clean tones as you turn the volume up. There can be great advantages to both. You'd have to work the volume dial on the guitar to hold back on the gain with a smaller powered amp.

I still like the Vox Valvetronix and would seek one out. I use the 30 watt in the apartment and the diversity of tones and the ability to alter the output has been a tremendous help.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are also affordable, very cool vintage amps out there as well. But they aren't exactly ideal for AiC/Bush/etc. alt-rock.

I've got a Gibson GA-18T from 1960 that I paid $600 for a couple of years ago. Sounds amazing, similar to vintage Fender tweed amps of the '50s. Turned up it fuzzes way out (think Neil Young, he uses a '50s Fender Deluxe).

There are a number of Fender amps of the '60s you can get for under a grand - like the Champ or Vibrochamp (5W, ~$400 in good condition) that will sound great clean. You could throw a fuzz or distortion pedal in front of them rather than relying solely on amp distortion. Jack White runs pedals into a clean Fender amp for his sound.

idlewild

Reaction score
+1 on the Tiny Terror and Vox AC 30.

I play an AC 30 but its loud. If you are looking for something you can crank up to hear the gain and not worry about it being loud I'd recommend this:

http://www.g-spot-music.com/spirit.htm

Its only 4 watts and has a built in attenuator. I tried it out a couple of weeks back, it sounds pretty awesome.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I have a Fender Princeton (I believe that's what it is) from sometime in the 60's, but it's somewhat finicky. Idle it sounds of some static and I had to replace the tubes a few times to find ones that really made it sound great. I forget what the final combination was.

a good advantage of solid state ... you can plug in headphones.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread makes me want to start a guitar gear thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit

I'd list a few gems from the collection. I don't have any pics on me, efff

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit

Done
smile.gif

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm in the "old and playing for fun" category as well. Most of my playing is going to be through phones or at low volume, so an amp is a waste for me (I loaned my Fender Super Twin to a friend years ago, and don't have space to take it back now). I just ordered a Vox Jamvox system to use with my computer. The amp modeling on these is pretty good for what it is.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
And no, I won't just go to a store and buy the ******* thing. The process of choosing and anticipation is part of the enjoyment. The act of buying is actually the least enjoyable part of the process, IMO.
so you'd rather just buy something off the internet and you don't really care how it feels to play and how it sounds, etc? i'd venture to say that going and trying different guitars out is pretty damn enjoyable and i'll go one step further and add that it is a process of choosing and anticipation.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
so you'd rather just buy something off the internet and you don't really care how it feels to play and how it sounds, etc?

i'd venture to say that going and trying different guitars out is pretty damn enjoyable and i'll go one step further and add that it is a process of choosing and anticipation.

I think Pio thought you were suggesting to go to a store and just buy the first LP Studio he sees, but I could be wrong.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Esthensose