• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guitar and amp purchase

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shootspeed
I am one of those people, but mainly because I prefer having a nice clean first and foremost. One thing to consider is if your amp can be pushed into overdrive with the volume maxed and the tubes cooking. You can get a nice distortion tone if you use your distortion/overdrive pedal as more of a volume boost with the distortion on the low side and volume maxed (with your amp's volume set on the edge of clean) to push the amp into natural overdrive.

Some days I would love to be in a band where I could strip my rig down to a 335-type guitar, tube screamer, and a vintage Deluxe Reverb. That is tone heaven!! But in my current situation, for both volume and versatility reasons, I play through a 4 channel amp with both pedals and rack effects.

Originally Posted by poly800rock
this is true, clean is always more important than dirty.

Depends....if you play more clean or more dirty!
smile.gif
I don't think you should have to to compromise on either.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Went and played with the Vox 50 watt and the LP studio in wine red.

Loved 'em both.

Is it standard for the studio to be "chambered" and less heavy?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hey guys, how's this for somebody who's never never picked up a guitar before. Good deal?:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-fen...arcaster&s=body&d=deal-page&p=2&c=deal_button

For $129, you get a right-handed Fender Starcaster Strat Pack (a $329.99 value) from Austin Bazaar. Choose one color from the following options:
Black
White
Fiesta Red
Three-tone Sunburst

Click here to see a video.

Each Fender Strat Pack is bundled with everything you need to start rockin', including:
One right-handed Fender Starcaster Start Electric Guitar (in one of four colors)
Fender mini deluxe amplifier
Fender padded gig bag
10-foot Signal Flex instrument cable
Black Fort Bryan Zinger strap
12 Fender 351 classic/premium picks (medium thickness)
Cherub WST-550G tuner

Shipping is included

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, not bad to get started.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rambo, when I first started, an acquaintance of mine told me to start with an acoustic first, and I think it was good advice. Your hands will work harder with an acoustic, which is helpful for later switching to electric. Just something to consider.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads